Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which waiver players don't clear?

Big Daddy

Default Re: Which waiver players don't clear?

Well that was uneventful.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Edmonton faithful - I wanna know what your thoughts are. Not a single winger picked up. Good move to stand pat and not bite on other people's junk? Or missed opportunity?
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Edmonton faithful - I wanna know what your thoughts are. Not a single winger picked up. Good move to stand pat and not bite on other people's junk? Or missed opportunity?
    I'm surprised that they didn't take someone with 2yrs on their deal. They have like 6 of their 13F are UFA's and 1's an RFA. I'm just a bit surprised they didn't take a guy with 2 yrs just to have someone on their roster next yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

The 50 contract limit matters. Adding waivers can limit future roster flexibility while taking gambles on bubble players. EDM is at 48 so I kind of get it but at the same time it's important to create roster space to be able to be more opportunistic. Meanwhile pretty much every team is giving contracts to players with zero NHL future.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think Eric says it right when he talks about the amount of current contracts. No one really wants to be at 50 contracts because it can hamper your ability to make future moves.

Do I think some of the guys who went on waivers were upgrades to their current roster guys? It's quite possible, but it's not like the guys on waivers were rock stars either. If they were, they wouldn't have been on waivers in the first place.

Holland walked into a pile of crap and is working his way through it. The guys he brought in this off-season aren't much better or worse than what just hit the WW in my opinion. Just stay the course at this point.

You'd think by now that teams would go into the WW period with 45-46 contracts on the books to pick up other teams trash though. Sometimes one if them might turn into a gem. Ya never know.

Either way, im fine with EDM taking a pass on the waived players.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

They're in a weird spot. Several of their 48 contracts are bad but they were signed by the previous regime. They're already giving chances to Nygard, Haas and Persson so you could argue those are the equivalent of three waiver claims. It would have been nice for them to have a bit more space so they can bring in even more help though. They need all the help they can get.

It's more baffling to see teams with no constraints not taking a shot on a young forward with talent or grabbing a free upgrade to their goaltending. Depth is more important than ever.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quite suprised that CBJ didnt take a chance on DeSmith and send Elvis back down.

Also, I saw AZ or Minny taking a flyer on Ho Sang
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    They're in a weird spot. Several of their 48 contracts are bad but they were signed by the previous regime. They're already giving chances to Nygard, Haas and Persson so you could argue those are the equivalent of three waiver claims. It would have been nice for them to have a bit more space so they can bring in even more help though. They need all the help they can get.

It's more baffling to see teams with no constraints not taking a shot on a young forward with talent or grabbing a free upgrade to their goaltending. Depth is more important than ever.
    There's 10 teams with no more than 45 contracts on their books. I'm sure if teams saw legit upside in some of these guys on waivers, they'd have been claimed. Maybe these guys on waivers are what they are; middling NHL players at best.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    There's 10 teams with no more than 45 contracts on their books. I'm sure if teams saw legit upside in some of these guys on waivers, they'd have been claimed. Maybe these guys on waivers are what they are; middling NHL players at best.
    There's also a lot of coaches and GMs who are, to be nice, below-average at their jobs and get fired frequently for good reason.

They don't have the right mindset to take chances. They'd rather give contracts to AHL-level talents who are nice people.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There are a number of teams who could've used Baertschi, for example.

I think there a mindset in the NHL that once you get your roster set, you don't want to "upset the room", which I find a bit odd for bad teams.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Could you elaborate on how it limits future roster flexibility? I am no CBA/cap expert and I'm surprised at some of the players who weren't taken...but clearly it's about that 50 man limit. I know there is a ton of cap maneuvring that goes on on the eve of the season, but I still don't get this part of it.
    Each team can have a max of 50 total players under contract. If you're at 50, you can't acquire a player under contract without moving a contract.

A slightly different scenario: If you're at 49, you can make a waiver claim to go up to 50, but then your hands are tied if you want to, say, sign one of your college prospects to an ELC. You would also face the same limitation I outlined above in trade talks. I don't know all of the details and I know there are some exceptions but this is the gist of it.

To summarize: Teams close to 50 contracts might be holding back because in-season waivers are typically used to cover for injuries. Save them for when you need them. In a more ideal scenario the teams would not be so close to 50 and could afford to take a few gambles. Personally I feel teams sign too many AHL-only players and should be using their spots more wisely on players that have some kind of NHL upside.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Christian Djoos - Winnipeg
    Sven Baertschi - LA
    Josh Ho-Sang - Edmonton
    Daniel Sprong - Pittsburgh
    Casey Desmith - Columbus

Everyone else clears.
    Does that Sang to Edmonton rumor have legs?? I actually didnt even realized he played with McDavid in juniors- they were linemates?? I feel like you cant give Ho-Sang away right now but the second he goes to Edmonton he'll be unattainable- lol! Im giving serious consideratin to dropping Batherson or Texier for him. Its a limited keeper with virtually nochance any of them would be kept unless they go crazy- lol!

The Great One

Oops- didnt realize the date had passed. So Ho-Sang still an Islander?? Emus... cry... too...

Dobber Sports Deity

Holland wasnt going to pick him up and take a contract off the books from the Islanders. The Oilers are close to the max as it is. Now that doesn't mean they might not be looking at a trade of some sort but that's simply an assumption on my part, not a rumor.