Thread: Think you have bad goalies? Cheer up - it could be worse.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Think you have bad goalies? Cheer up - it could be worse.

EDIT: Not the league in my sig.

12 team dynasty cap league with HUGE (53 players with no restrictions other than was NHL draft eligible) minors system. Daily starts, 12 F, 6 D, 2 G, 2 reserve (all count against cap) with 3 minimum games per week. W, GAA, SV% SHO.

I took over this team before last season, and the goaltending was absolutely brutal at the time:
    Murray, Neuvirth
    Honzik, Lyon, Merzlikins, Pavelec, Shesterkin, Simpson, Sparks, Stalock, Tokarski, Tomek, Ustimenko

I made some FA moves to get scrap parts, but I had the second worst goaltending in the league, and that was only because an owner went inactive and then one of his starters got hurt. I had multiple weeks where I couldn't get minimum starts.

The goaltending now looks like this after a year and an offseason of maneuvers, and I feel it's vastly improved:
    Murray, Elliott
    Delia, Konovalov, McElhinney, Merzlikins, Nilsson, Reimer, Shesterkin, Sparks, Stalock, Ustimenko

I can freely move guys up and down from minors to main roster if they have a low enough salary. That means Murray will stay on main roster or reseve at all times. Reimer requires waivers if I demote him from main roster to minors, but he can stay in minors as long as I want.

Please note that there are literally no goalies projected by Fantrax to play in the NHL available at this time to be picked up freely. I plan to do a scour to see if there are any #3 or #4 goalies that may have fallen through the cracks later tonight.

Does this goaltending group look adequate enough to be mediocre, say somewhere between 8th and 10th in a 12 person league?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Default Re: Think you have bad goalies? Cheer up - it could be worse.

Your goaltending has improved but not enough unless you are content with having the 10th or 11th ranked goalie output. I’m assuming it is hard to acquire good goaltending in the league or there just isn’t much trading in the league? You’ve had a full season and a full offseason to address a weakness and while you did improve, doesn’t seem like enough.

What’s your full roster - could you trade for a second starter?

Dobber Sports Stud

Your D-corps looks strong enough to dangle one out there for a speculative trade, yes? Gustafsson should bring Khudobin, Ullmark, or DeSmith? Nedeljkovic may well be worth more than Reimer, and might be cheaper now than later. A shot at Jack Campbell for Schultz or Gardiner? Could well be easier to replace prospect defenders, anyway.
    * And you may be pleasantly surprised by Merzlikins.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Your D-corps looks strong enough to dangle one out there for a speculative trade, yes? Gustafsson should bring Khudobin, Ullmark, or DeSmith? Nedeljkovic may well be worth more than Reimer, and might be cheaper now than later. A shot at Jack Campbell for Schultz or Gardiner? Could well be easier to replace prospect defenders, anyway.
    I wouldn't be trading Gus for a backup.

I think sitting on it for now is a good plan.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    The team in his sig. isn’t the team he is referring to in this post.