Thread: Final cuts... Drop Matthews, Bobrovsky?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Final cuts... Drop Matthews, Bobrovsky?

Hi guys,

Following our annual draft, I have a hard time deciding on final cuts. I need to shed approximately 18M (cap of 94M for the season, currently sitting at 112.241M). I have a shot at finishing 3-4th this year, regardless of who I end up cutting.

I think the players of interest are : Matthews (15.9M salary), Gourde (6.3M salary), Bobrovsky (11.5M salary), Fleury (8.5M salary) and Merlizkins (low salary, but big question marks!).

I have 3 main options (but very happy to hear any other you might have!). Which one do you think is best?

1. Drop Bobrovsky and Gourde and one of my prospect goalies (Gillies or Husso?). I feel I'm taking a huge gamble on Merzlikins, but I get to keep Matthews.
    2. Drop Matthews and Toffoli (instead of Gourde, since cap permits). Forwards will be much thinner, I lose one of the best player in the league, but I keep a strong goalie duo (with potential for more from Merzlikins).
    3. CURVEBALL : Trade Fleury for Robert Thomas (0.925M salary), then drop Gourde and Toffoli. There is some interest for Fleury and I could get a prospect like Thomas for him at the moment. My forwards are not as thin as option #2 since I keep Matthews and get Thomas, but I'm still dependable on Merzlikins.

Full team below with 2019-2020 salary and dobber projected points, if needed:

Pos Player Salary (19-20) Dobber Proj
    F_1 Auston Matthews 15.9M 81
    F_2 Brayden Point 5.25M 77
    F_3 Phil Kessel 7M 77
    F_4 Alex DeBrincat 0.8M 77
    F_5 Evgeni Malkin 9.5M 74
    F_6 Timo Meier 4M 64
    F_7 Yanni Gourde 6.3M 62
    F_8 Vinnie Hinostroza 1.5M 48
    F_9 Tyler Toffoli 4.8M 44
    F_10 Drake Batherson 0.78M 42
    F_11 Mark Jankowski 1.75M 40
    F_12 Nikolai Prokhorkin 0.5M 38
    F_13 Nick Ritchie 1.4M 37
    F_14 Patrick Maroon 0.9M 32
    F_15 Tage Thompson 0.925M 25
    F_16 Vitaly Kravtsov 0.925M 23
    F_17 Dylan Sikura 0.7M 9
    F_18 Isac Lundestrom 0.5M 0
    D_1 Kris Letang 7.25M 70
    D_2 Torey Krug 5M 69
    D_3 Shayne Gostisbehere 5.25M 68
    D_4 Tony DeAngelo 0.925M 40
    D_5 Josh Manson 4.25M 32
    D_6 Joel Persson 0.5M 32
    D_7 Christian Djoos 1.25M 23
    G_1 Sergei Bobrovsky 11.5M 91
    G_2 Marc-André Fleury 8.5M 81
    G_3 Elvis Merzlikins 0.5M 55
    G_4 Malcom Subban 0.85M 10
    G_5 Felix Sandstrom 0.793M 0
    G_6 Filip Gustavsson 0.793M 0
    G_7 Jon Gillies 0.75M 0
    G_8 Ville Husso 0.7M 0
    16 team, dynasty cap league (real salary), Points ONLY (W=2+SO=3)
    Count best 12 F, 6 D, 2 G || 19-20 Cap = 94M

F: Point, Matthews, DeBrincat, Kessel, Malkin, Meier, Gourde, Hinostroza, Toffoli, Batherson, Jankowski, Prokhorkin, Nick Ritchie, Maroon, Thompson, Kravtsov, Sikura, Lunderstrom
    D: Letang, Krug, Gostisbehere, DeAngelo, Manson, Persson, Djoos
    G: Bobrovsky, Fleury, Merzlikins, Subban, Gustavsson, Sandstrom, Gillies, Husso

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Final cuts... Drop Matthews, Bobrovsky?

1. There is a 0% chance I cut Elvis unless playing games in Ohio counts negatively or something. You cut Gillies instead of him every single time.

2. Manson sticks out like a sore thumb. Is there nobody cheaper and half-decent available?

3. I'm guessing there's no market for Matthews, right? He's poison in league with this format. He's the clear #1-2 drop either ahead of or behind Manson.

4. I'd be willing to deal Fleury for Thomas (can you get also get a defender back to replace Manson, by any chance? ) and then cut Matthews.

5. If you can flip a goalie prospect or even Maroon for a cheap defense guy, that may help.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    1. There is a 0% chance I cut Elvis unless playing games in Ohio counts negatively or something. You cut Gillies instead of him every single time.

2. Manson sticks out like a sore thumb. Is there nobody cheaper and half-decent available?

3. I'm guessing there's no market for Matthews, right? He's poison in league with this format. He's the clear #1-2 drop either ahead of or behind Manson.

4. I'd be willing to deal Fleury for Thomas (can you get also get a defender back to replace Manson, by any chance? ) and then cut Matthews.

5. If you can flip a goalie prospect or even Maroon for a cheap defense guy, that may help.
    I'm sorry if that wasn't clear : There are no waivers in this league... (I don't know if you remember, but I'm THAT guy from a post you took the time to answer earlier this summer :P). I'm saying I would cut Gillies or Husso, but that since this leaves me with Fleury and Elvis as my two starting G, I am taking a huge gamble that he can put up points this year. Also, thanks for opening my eyes on how Manson is bad. I will try and shop for a cheap D with similar point projections.

Specifically for this part :
    Is this still true if I tell you that I can't get any other G on the waiver wire? I would only have Bob and Merzlikins as my two starting G, so I am taking a gamble that he can put up points this year. Basically, do you feel chalking Merzlikins for 20-25 wins is a safe bet? If so, I admit I could drop/trade one of the 2 goalies (Bob, Fleury) with minimal impact on my total points. If he plays in the AHL though, I will probably get myself outside of the top 5.

Thanks again for taking the time!

F: Point, Matthews, DeBrincat, Kessel, Malkin, Meier, Gourde, Hinostroza, Toffoli, Batherson, Jankowski, Prokhorkin, Nick Ritchie, Maroon, Thompson, Kravtsov, Sikura, Lunderstrom

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd do option #2. Looking at your team your Forwards aren't really that weak with the likes of DeBrincat, Point, Kessel, Malkin, Meier, and Gourde. I also do like Hinostroza and Toffoli as well.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Quote Originally Posted by Samfolds View Post
    I'm sorry if that wasn't clear : There are no waivers in this league... (I don't know if you remember, but I'm THAT guy from a post you took the time to answer earlier this summer :P). I'm saying I would cut Gillies or Husso, but that since this leaves me with Fleury and Elvis as my two starting G, I am taking a huge gamble that he can put up points this year. Also, thanks for opening my eyes on how Manson is bad. I will try and shop for a cheap D with similar point projections.

Specifically for this part :

Is this still true if I tell you that I can't get any other G on the waiver wire? I would only have Bob and Merzlikins as my two starting G, so I am taking a gamble that he can put up points this year. Basically, do you feel chalking Merzlikins for 20-25 wins is a safe bet? If so, I admit I could drop/trade one of the 2 goalies (Bob, Fleury) with minimal impact on my total points. If he plays in the AHL though, I will probably get myself outside of the top 5.

Thanks again for taking the time!
    Sorry I don't remember that there are no waivers. I answer a lot of folks posts, and since I play in very few leagues, and only 1 league I found from this forum, I get a fair number of messages from people in leagues where half the board or more is in the league, including even once from both sides of the same trade - which was weird.

I wouldn't deal Fleury if you can't get another goalie likely to get you starts in addition to Elvis. I doubt he sees the AHL, but it's possible he get backup time at best.

I suspect you might be able to find a goalie that you can get for close to free, though. Is Nilsson available, for example? Half the Ottawa tandem should be dirt cheap, and likely is rostered already. If you can't get anyone else you need Fleury for this year.

Option #2 doesn't look bad, but I really want at least 7 or 8 D in this format.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry I don't remember that there are no waivers. I answer a lot of folks posts, and since I play in very few leagues, and only 1 league I found from this forum, I get a fair number of messages from people in leagues where half the board or more is in the league, including even once from both sides of the same trade - which was weird.

I wouldn't deal Fleury if you can't get another goalie likely to get you starts in addition to Elvis. I doubt he sees the AHL, but it's possible he get backup time at best.

I suspect you might be able to find a goalie that you can get for close to free, though. Is Nilsson available, for example? Half the Ottawa tandem should be dirt cheap, and likely is rostered already. If you can't get anyone else you need Fleury for this year.

Option #2 doesn't look bad, but I really want at least 7 or 8 D in this format.
    I'm sorry I did not mean to sound rude... I totally understand, you seem very active on the forum and your help is greatly appreciated .

I do have Bobrovsky to go along with Elvis if I move Fleury (unless you mean I need both Bobrovsky and another established goalied?

thanks again.

I think you want Sergei, Elvis, and another goalie who will at least split starts. Figured that if I was going to use Elvis, I should use "Sergei" as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think you want Sergei, Elvis, and another goalie who will at least split starts. Figured that if I was going to use Elvis, I should use "Sergei" as well.
    I'm sorry if this was not clear (my mistake, I did not mention it in the OP), but this is a "count best" type of league (12F, 6D, 2G)... I've thought about your suggestion and in that format, I feel like keeping 2 established goalies might be safer. If we were certain Elvis would get 50-55 starts, then I'd be willing to take the point drop to get a good asset in return, but for now, it looks like a high risk since he could get a minimal amount of wins.

What do you think?

I think I'd keep the 2 established guys then. While you have a decent shot of getting a start out of 2 goalies in tandems, it's riskier. If you could get a whole tandem to yourself in return, that'd be different.