Thread: Draft 1ST PICK OA - Keeper

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Draft 1ST PICK OA - Keeper

Need help w our keeper - have 1st pick, and scratching my head on who to pick (Goalies are very valuable.. or Hughes?) or to trade the pick. I have 1st OA and two picks in the 2nd round, and can likely trade 1st for a lower 1st and 2nd/3rd..

Hoping to get some guidance here! Thanks in advance!

To give you an idea, some available players include:

MARKSTROM
    MRAZEK
    T.RASK
    RAANTA
    RINNE
    SAROS
    GRUBAUER
    DUBNYK

BERGERON
    MEIER
    RADULOV
    KAKKO
    KRUG
    GIORDANO
    LETANG

16 Team, Keep 5 Roto - 9 FWD; 5D; 2G; 5BN
    G,A,PTS,SOG,HIT,PPP,SHP,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SVP,SO

Keepers - SEGUIN, BENN, LINDHOLM, HEDMAN, PRICE

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Draft 1ST PICK OA - Keeper

Hughes then Kakko then Meier. If you can trade down and still grab one of them, then go for it. If you have first overall you should be grabbing someone who has a chance to be a keeper or at least tradable to someone else next summer for a pick.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Hughes then Kakko then Meier. If you can trade down and still grab one of them, then go for it. If you have first overall you should be grabbing someone who has a chance to be a keeper or at least tradable to someone else next summer for a pick.
    I should have noted we go to 9 Keepers for the next 4 years - does that change your answer?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Jake9393 View Post
    I should have noted we go to 9 Keepers for the next 4 years - does that change your answer?
    Nope, all three of them are going to be exceptional multicat guys for a long time. The goalies are all older or with question marks. The rest of the skaters are on their way down. If you could trade down to #2 or #3, then you could grab a goalie in the second round with the extra pick.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Go with Hughes or Kakko with the 1st overall pick. Then in the 2nd round with one of the picks pick a Goalie.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Novice

Hmm... my fear is goalies will be scooped up fast.. but you both seem to think the skilled young guys are the way to go.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, since you listed about 8 viable goalies there is a very likely chance that at least one of them fall to you in the second (and likely several goalies at that), so you can easily forego picking a G with that first round pick, especially that high in the draft.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jake9393 View Post
    For me, if I can trade down to 2 I do it. If you can trade down to 3 or 4 and team 2 really needs a goalie that could also be okay.

You are going from 5 to 9 keepers, so you want to load up on keeper quality players. I admit you might be okay with #1 and 2 2nds, but I'd still consider a small move down.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    Well, since you listed about 8 viable goalies there is a very likely chance that at least one of them fall to you in the second (and likely several goalies at that), so you can easily forego picking a G with that first round pick, especially that high in the draft.
    I agree with this. You listed BOTH Nashville goalies, for example. I'd thinkyou can get one of those goalies in round 3, probably. With Price I wouldn't worry about a 2nd top tier goalie early, get skaters who are more sure keepers.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Magnificent One

In this league go Hughes and don’t worry about anything else. If still there go Meier and the a goalie in your 2nd round
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Novice

Thank you, all! It's a 16 team league, 12 goalies were kept, and we need to start 2 G for 5 stats... a goalie or two may be available for my 2nd. But in any case,you guys have spoken - go with the BPA