Thread: Rank These Forwards in a Keeper Format

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Rank These Forwards in a Keeper Format

So keepers have been set in my keeper league and we have our draft coming up this weekend. Format is keep up to 5, H2H, points only where goals are worth 3 points and assists worth 2. PIMS are also 0.5 each, so a 2 minute minor gives you 1 point, and so forth. There will be 18 picks until I get to make my first pick in a snake style draft, and some or all of these guys might be available once my turn is up (I anticipate alot of goaltenders being drafted early because this league tends to overvalue them), so I am looking on thoughts how to rank them:

Mark Stone
    Tom Wilson
    Pierre-Luc DuBois
    Sean Monahan
    Viktor Arviddson
    Mathew Barzal
    Andrei Svechnikov
    Patrik Laine
    Jack Hughes
    Morgan Rielly (a rare D man i'd consider early)
    Filip Forsberg

Of the bunch...I'm really hoping Barzal falls to me, though worried his upside is capped by playing in Trotz' system and the fact he could end up being Tavares 2.0 where the team just continues to surround him with 3rd liners.

I also really like Svechnikov but wondering if I can wait a round or two on him since he's no lock to stick on the top line.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Rank These Forwards in a Keeper Format

Punching your settings into my projections, I don't see Rielly as close, but the others are all pretty tight. Monahan, Stone, Laine, Wilson would be near the top for this year. If he develops toward his ceiling (say he hits 35/35/70pts with his PIMs), Svechnikov would be a beast in this format. If Laine bounces back, he'll be up there too.

Dobber Sports Ace

You have to decide your approach...

Homerun swing (Wilson, Laine, Hughes, Svech); Or
    Single up the middle (Stone, Monahan, Barzal, Forsberg, Arvidsson)

I would try to land at least one from each group.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Roger that. I know the person picking after me wants Hughes, so if I want him, he's gonna have to be my first pick (unless my opponent is just trying to gas Hughes up in order to get me to bite). Laine was heralded as a top-20 keeper asset not that long ago, so I see alot of risk/reward there to with the contract standoff no longer an issue. We'll have to see whose available though, as I'm sure that list will get whittled down before it's my turn.

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    You have to decide your approach...

Homerun swing (Wilson, Laine, Hughes, Svech); Or
    Single up the middle (Stone, Monahan, Barzal, Forsberg, Arvidsson)

I would try to land at least one from each group.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ranking the top 5: Laine(bounce back), Barzal, Arvidsson, J. Hughes, and call me crazy and probably a bit biased but Tom Wilson playing aside Ovie and Backstrom(possible for 60 pts.)
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ended up taking Laine then Barzal with my first two picks, then barely missed out on Svechnikov in the next round and went with Clayton Keller and Pierre Luc DuBois. Overall, pretty happy with that haul.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Out of curiosity, how would these players rank if Hits, Blocks & Fights were a scoring category? Would Wilson & Svech jump to the top?