Thread: Draft : What if !?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Draft : What if !?

Hey dobber nation. Draft is tomorrow and trying to figure out the first few rounds. I have first overall and will be drafting Jack Hughes. Next picks are 8th oa, 15th, 20th and 22nd. My plan for the second round is to draft Hronek but not sure he'll be available so trying to figure out other options. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will include salary and term to help. Will rep where possible.

For team and league in sig (keeper, cap, pts only, 12F, 6D, 2G roster) What if...

What if Hronek isn't available in the 2nd round but these players are, who would you draft?
    Mantha 3,3M (1 year), Grubauer 3,33M (2), Zibanejad 5,35 (3), Girard $935,833 (1) and Pulock 2M (1)

What if all the previous players are taken, who would you draft come the 3rd round? Or would you draft any of these in the second round before the others?
    Dadonov 4M (1), Hertl 5,625 (3), Meier 6 (3), Morrissey 3,15 (1), Andreas Johnsson 3,4 (4), Batherson $773,333 (2), Steel $863,333 (2)

I already have the lowest cap in protected players by about 10M + from most so I am guessing people will fight for low salaries and I figure picking up a few more early then I can grab a higher ones while others still fight to remain under cap.

Thanks!!!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Draft : What if !?

I have a question, how many Goalies do you play(1 or 2)? If it is 2 than with the 2nd pick after Jack Hughes I would get Grubauer. If you only play 1 goalie than go with Zibanejad. With the 3rd Round selection I would target Timo Meier.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the input. To answer your question we start 12 forwards, 6 D and 2 goalies.

My first instinctive choice would also be Grubauer because I find goalies are so hard to predict and the number of games played by #1 goalies seem to be getting lower, so grabbing a good low salary one is win win. I actually traded during the offseason to grab Hart.

The one I'm hesitating with most is Mantha. I feel he could push for 65-70 pts and at his salary that is great value.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Titan

Shameless plug to something very relevant: https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...eptember-2019/

I think Grubauer, Hronek, and Pulock make the most sense as targets, because if you have the lowest cap hit, and still target the bargains, there will still be bigger contract producers available later to you more so than other cap strapped teams that couldn't jump on some of the cheaper guys that you stole out from under them.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks EB. As a regular/daily dobberhockey.com and forum reader I saw that ''shameless plug' article/list and had actually been eagerly waiting for it ever since I saw your post about it a ways back. It's still open in a tab and will still be tomorrow during my draft.

So with this list, lets say Hronek, Grubauer and Pulock are all taken when it comes to me in the second round, would you take DeAngelo before the other options I mentioned in my league settings? Actually would you take DeAngelo before Pulock... keeping in mind that in my league I think DeAngelo is flying way under the radar compared to Pulock?

Dobber Sports Titan

As I hope I stated in the article, it's not the be all and end all. League and perceived value will come into play as well. So if you can grab Pulock, and then DeAngelo a couple rounds later, that's a great outlook for your draft. Better than grabbing DeAngelo first, missing on Pulock, and having to take someone father down the list as your second half.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    As I hope I stated in the article, it's not the be all and end all. League and perceived value will come into play as well. So if you can grab Pulock, and then DeAngelo a couple rounds later, that's a great outlook for your draft. Better than grabbing DeAngelo first, missing on Pulock, and having to take someone father down the list as your second half.
    Thank you.

Yes as you say league and perceived value come into play. I always love getting advice on these forums but then I try to apply it to my league. I believe knowing your league is one of the most important aspects of a draft... though curve balls are always thrown.

Thanks