Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Yes, I fully admit that my "personal belief" here is that drunk men shouldn't be harassing women. Guilty as charged.

Admittedly we don't know exactly what was done or said that night, but it was 2 am and a bunch of drunk men tried to get into a woman's car. And regardless of what anyone thinks, that woman felt victimized enough that she phoned the police and pressed charges against Matthews. Call that "sexual harassment" or not, but it was an offense committed by a man (or more precisely a group of men) against a woman at 2:00 am. Too often in our history we have blamed the victim for over-reacting to men "just being men" and now women are starting to stand up and say, "no more". You can't invade my personal space and make me feel unsafe, no matter the circumstances. Even if you think you are just showing off for your buddies and being funny.
    I'm not saying that the security guard overreacted. I praised the decision to get the cops involved. I'm dismissing the sexual harassment accusations. It's your personal belief that any time there's men doing something to the opposite gender, it's purely gender based. And any time that alcohol is involved it turns into sexual harassment.

I'll assume it was harassing someone based on job title, you can assume it was sexual based harassment based on the two parties genders. And the common ground between the two thought path's is we're assuming things.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

I would not be surprised if these drunk dumb dumbs were not even aware of the gender of the vehicle occupant as they approached and thought wiggling the handle was a good idea.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

I’m against serious harassment against anyone as much as any decent person. Considering that it’s taken 4 months for this to come to light inclines me believe that this is much ado about nothing.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I'm not saying that the security guard overreacted. I praised the decision to get the cops involved. I'm dismissing the sexual harassment accusations. It's your personal belief that any time there's men doing something to the opposite gender, it's purely gender based. And any time that alcohol is involved it turns into sexual harassment.

I'll assume it was harassing someone based on job title, you can assume it was sexual based harassment based on the two parties genders. And the common ground between the two thought path's is we're assuming things.
    Intent doesn't really matter here...even *if* Matthews was trying to get into the vehicle because the person was a security guard, in actuality he was trying to invade the personal space of a woman, at 2 am, while drunk and with a bunch of other men. That is sexual harassment.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The bottom line here is the Security Guard did her job the way she was taught to do. Matthews was basically being an A-Hole and no he didn't assault anyone which is a plus. I suppose it was just going to be a joke in the end, but the problem is he was drinking and I don't think he was probably thinking clearly. Hopefully he will learn his lesson from this, but for now he will have to hear a bunch of backlash even some from people that are over reacting until the whole thing settles down.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Titan

Here's the Incident Report:
    https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

An "online motion" was filed by the security guard yesterday at some time. So people are saying it's probably some form of restitution. This Daniel Wallach guy says it's "a form of relief". Matthews retrial conference was at 9:30am AZ time.

This Daniel Wallach guy went on Sportsnet Radio
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/sportsn...onduct-charge/

He says the security guard suffers from PTSD, and she's "likely" an armed security guard and Matthews was lucky shots weren't fired. Whole other side story on why does a security guard working a night shift who suffers from PTSD is allowed to have a firearm. But that's not what this thread is about.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Three pages on this....

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Three pages on this....
    And why not? Part of me is proud that a hockey forum made up mostly of men is having a mature discussion about an issue that has been impacting society for a long-time. No one is saying what Matthews did was terribly heinous or that he should get jail time, etc. However, creating awareness of situations like this can serve as a lesson to other young men, some of whom are probably reading this thread right now, to act more responsibly and respectfully towards women.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Here's the Incident Report:
    https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

An "online motion" was filed by the security guard yesterday at some time. So people are saying it's probably some form of restitution. This Daniel Wallach guy says it's "a form of relief". Matthews retrial conference was at 9:30am AZ time.

This Daniel Wallach guy went on Sportsnet Radio
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/sportsn...onduct-charge/

He says the security guard suffers from PTSD, and she's "likely" an armed security guard and Matthews was lucky shots weren't fired. Whole other side story on why does a security guard working a night shift who suffers from PTSD is allowed to have a firearm. But that's not what this thread is about.
    Off topic - This has potential disaster written all over it - in general - Matthews situation aside. PTSD affects everyone differently - also depends on what caused it... judgment & reactions are usually affected though.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Off topic - This has potential disaster written all over it - in general - Matthews situation aside. PTSD affects everyone differently - also depends on what caused it... judgment & reactions are usually affected though.
    Security guard was former military of some sort

The Great One

Thank goodness no one was shot/injured. The situation could have been much worse. As part of my job, I work with various police departments and not long ago an officer shot and killed a woman who ran up to his parked car and banged on the window to get the officer's attention. He just reacted without thought and a woman lost her life.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Padawan

from mapleleafshotstove.com

Details are emerging about the disorderly conduct — disruptive behavior charge Auston Matthews is facing in the state of Arizona related to a May 2019 incident at Matthews’ condominium complex in Scottsdale.

Allegedly intoxicated after a night of drinking with friends, it is alleged Matthews and his friends attempted to open the car door of a female security officer named Fayola Dozithee at 2 a.m. in the morning, startling the officer and initiating a confrontation. Here are the details from the police report courtesy of the Toronto Star:On May 28, 2019 at approximately 1425 hours, I was working as a patrol officer in full duty uniform when I was dispatched to the Distract II lobby reference a sex crime. Additional comments stated an assault and public sexual indecency occurred on Sunday in the parking lot of the [redacted] Condos located at [redacted].Upon arrival at the District II lobby I met with the RP, Fayola Dozithee. Fayola told me the following. Fayola said she works for [redacted] Agency as a security guard and was working at the [redacted] Condos on May 26, 2019 at about 2am when this incident occurred. She continued to say that her first interaction with the resident and his friends was on May 25, 2019 at about 11pm. She further added she was able to identify the resident as Auston Matthews who resides in the building.Fayola said she noticed the group of guys leaving the complex at about 11pm on the 25 of May. She performed her normal duties at the Condo and then about 2am on May 26, she had sat in her vehicle as she normally does to complete some paperwork. As she was sitting in her vehicle, she heard what sounded like her car door attempting to be opened. She said she always sits in her vehicle with the door locked due to the time and her being a female. As she heard this, she looked back and noticed some movement outside the window. Fayola therefore jumped out of her vehicle to find out who was trying to get in her car.After she exited her vehicle, she noticed it was Auston and his friends. She stated she confronted them and the response from Auston was they wanted to see what she would do and they believed it would be funny to see how she would respond. Fayola found this very disturbing and put her on edge. Fayola said she told Auston and his friends, “I am a female, I am a military vet with severe PTSD.” She also told them it wasn’t funny and how could they think it would be funny to try to get in a female’s vehicle at 2am in the morning. Fayola did add that the group of males appeared to be intoxicated.She continued to say that Auston still would say that he thought it was funny. Fayola said she then began to tell them to just leave. Auston’s friend then stepped in and tried to calm Fayola down and also asked her not to tell management. As the friend was speaking to Fayola, she said Auston began to walk away and after he walked some distance, Auston pulled down his pants, bent over, and grabbed his butt cheeks. I tried to clarify with Fayola if she saw skin or was he wearing underwear. Fayola said she knew he had his boxers on, and she did not see his butt.
    Fayola then stated that after they all left she continued with her work and at about 2:30am she was doing her rounds and came upon one of Auston’s friends who was also with a female. The friend again asked Fayola if she was going to notify management at which time she said that there are cameras that captured them and management will be advised.During our conversation, Fayola appeared to be very disturbed over the situation. She also mentioned a few times that she was a female sitting in her car, who knows what they intended to do and the fact that it was more than one guy. I also explained to her that the crime we had was disorderly conduct and she said she wanted to press charges against Auston. I explained to her that I would attempt to contact Auston as well [redacted]. Fayola also made a comment something to the fact of no one should be put through that type of situation.This concluded my contact with Fayola.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Thanks for posting that.

So, this confirms what I suspected. A bunch of drunk men scaring a female in a locked car late at night. Clear case of sexual harassment and intimidation, even if Austin Matthews and the others thought they were just being funny. What is most disturbing in all of this is how some members of the public will continue to defend Matthews' behavior as being innocent and harmless, as though women don't have the right to feel safe and secure no matter the time of day or where they are situated. People will blame the woman's PTSD and say she over-reacted or shouldn't be a security guard in a high-risk area late at night if she can't hack it, etc. Shameful.

Note that I'm not speaking specifically about anyone on this forum, but in the general public. Time and again incidents like this occur in society and they are just brushed off as women over-reacting and "boys being boys".
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Intent doesn't really matter here...even *if* Matthews was trying to get into the vehicle because the person was a security guard, in actuality he was trying to invade the personal space of a woman, at 2 am, while drunk and with a bunch of other men. That is sexual harassment.
    What planet do you live on where that is sexual harassment? Nothing about it was sexual or had any sort of sexual intent. Get a grip man.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think Auston and his friends should face some serious community service and fines for some terrible stupidity and acting like entitled brats.
    But was this criminal stupidity?
    No.

This "victim" is very obviously trying to up-sell the situation into a potential civil suit payday.
    And good for her - she recognizes that a millionaire was acting stupid and she's trying to cash in. Most people would probably do the same.

When I lock my car, so that nobody can get in, and someone then tries to open the back door, I most certainly would NOT "JUMP OUT" of the vehicle to find out who is trying to get in. lol
    This is real life, not a Friday the 13th movie. If I hear a noise in a dark area behind a shed, I'm not going to jump over there to find out who is creating that noise. You know - because I'm fearful and I don't want to get killed or hurt in any way.
    This "victim" chose to react in a way that is the complete opposite of fear. She jumped out to confront THEM. A truly fearful person would have stayed in the locked car and/or tried to drive away. A fearful person would have yelled or screamed. She did none of those things.
    Plus, she knows those guys. That's exactly why she jumped out of the car to confront them - because she KNEW they posed no real threat. She saw them hours earlier. She regularly works security at that condo. She would presumably have seen them many times before which is probably why she recognized Matthews. If she actually felt threatened, no way she jumps out of the car like that. So I call BS.
    This is a complete farce / money grab.