Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Wouldn't want him as my captain.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    No offense meant, guys, but this is a typical male response. I'm sure from a woman's perspective, this shit is getting old and tiresome and men should be punished for harassing women, even if the men are drunk. A bunch of loud, obnoxious men should not be attempting to enter into a woman's locked vehicle while she is in it, even if it is a joke. I don't really think this is society being overly sensitive. As I said earlier, I'm sure if the security guard was male, they wouldn't have even noticed him and certainly they wouldn't have tried to get into his vehicle.

This is the reason why some females feel unsafe on our streets. This reminds me of the "F U C K her in the *****" shit that drunk guys do on camera. Enough with this BS already.
    I was praising the security guard for being brave. She stood up for herself. I would have just driven away. I see it as us being bad and saying, "omg it was a female security guard she must have been terrified of the male." Eff that this person was brave. I'd see a a group of males trying to enter my car and I'd start the car and roll on out of there, then call the cops if I was the security guard.

The typical male response is degrading a woman's job by saying a male security guard wouldn't do this because he wouldn't have been "afraid". Maybe Matthews was seeing how a security guard would respond to trying to open their door, and gender had 0 effect on what he was doing.

The security guard did exactly what they are instructed to do, and there is nothing wrong with that. Rethinking it, cops should have been called just for the safety of the drunk people. It's not a big deal until someone gets hurt then it's, "why weren't the cops called earlier".
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I was praising the security guard for being brave. She stood up for herself. I would have just driven away. I see it as us being bad and saying, "omg it was a female security guard she must have been terrified of the male." Eff that this person was brave. I'd see a a group of males trying to enter my car and I'd start the car and roll on out of there, then call the cops if I was the security guard.

The typical male response is degrading a woman's job by saying a male security guard wouldn't do this because he wouldn't have been "afraid". Maybe Matthews was seeing how a security guard would respond to trying to open their door, and gender had 0 effect on what he was doing.

The security guard did exactly what they are instructed to do, and there is nothing wrong with that. Rethinking it, cops should have been called just for the safety of the drunk people. It's not a big deal until someone gets hurt then it's, "why weren't the cops called earlier".
    I agree that the woman was brave...no question. But I do feel quite strongly that the cops should have been called because drunk men shouldn't be harassing women, no matter the context. Actually, take out the "drunk" part. Men shouldn't be harassing women and being drunk doesn't excuse the behavior.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree that the woman was brave...no question. But I do feel quite strongly that the cops should have been called because drunk men shouldn't be harassing women, no matter the context. Actually, take out the "drunk" part. Men shouldn't be harassing women and being drunk doesn't excuse the behavior.
    People shouldn't be harassing people and being drunk doesn't excuse the behaviour* Gender should have no effect on that.

The Great One

People shouldn't be harassing people and being drunk doesn't excuse the behaviour* Gender should have no effect on that.
    I agree in theory, but in reality gender was a factor here. I mean, a bunch of men did harass a woman because she was a woman...this situation wouldn't have happened if the security guard was a man. Unfortunately this is common behavior for men. Men constantly harass women, especially when drunk, and that behavior needs to stop. As a society, men need to stop doing this BS. Construction workers whistling at a woman walking by, men slapping waitresses on the ass, men grabbing the buttocks of women on the dance floor or on a crowded bus or train...this is the sort of thing I'm talking about that at one point was considered "innocent" behavior and "men being men", but as a society I'm hoping this will stop.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Administrator

Low empathy is very common these days

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

No offense meant, guys, but this is a typical male response. I'm sure from a woman's perspective, this shit is getting old and tiresome and men should be punished for harassing women, even if the men are drunk. A bunch of loud, obnoxious men should not be attempting to enter into a woman's locked vehicle while she is in it, even if it is a joke. I don't really think this is society being overly sensitive. As I said earlier, I'm sure if the security guard was male, they wouldn't have even noticed him and certainly they wouldn't have tried to get into his vehicle.

This is the reason why some females feel unsafe on our streets. This reminds me of the "F U C K her in the *****" shit that drunk guys do on camera. Enough with this BS already.
    She felt unsafe enough to get out of the car and confront him. Based on the article, if anything he de-escalated the situation with an explanation and walking away. I totally get your point and agree with it... I'm not sure it fully applies here just based on the 15% or so facts presented.

If Tor gives him the "C" now...

does that make him

Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Big Daddy

Whether you think it was harmless or not, the backlash he is receiving on hockey twitter and Toronto media is absolutely ridiculous. He didn’t assault anyone but he is being made out to be an evil person. Ryan O’Reilly didn’t even receive this kind of treatment when he drunkenly drove his truck into a Tim Horton’s and fled the scene. He could have killed multiple people including himself. But he doesn’t play for the Leafs so he isn’t Satan. Don’t remember Patrick Kane getting shit on this much either when he punched a cab driver in the head. It’s no wonder ex-players have come out and said they’ve never wanted to play for Toronto.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree in theory, but in reality gender was a factor here. I mean, a bunch of men did harass a woman because she was a woman...this situation wouldn't have happened if the security guard was a man. Unfortunately this is common behavior for men. Men constantly harass women, especially when drunk, and that behavior needs to stop. As a society, men need to stop doing this BS. Construction workers whistling at a woman walking by, men slapping waitresses on the ass, men grabbing the buttocks of women on the dance floor or on a crowded bus or train...this is the sort of thing I'm talking about that at one point was considered "innocent" behavior and "men being men", but as a society I'm hoping this will stop.
    Not once does it mention Matthews did it because the security guard was female. The security guard says, "he said he wanted to see how I would respond". And it's not even a direct quote. Assuming it's an act to see how a female security guard responds is putting weight into the gender of the security guard. I read it as, Matthews wanting to see what a security guard at a condo complex would do. Because, personally (and to my fault), it's more common thought of disrespecting a job title over gender. "Let's mess with the security guard" mentality. I can't speak for him, but this is the generation that race, gender, and sexuality is no longer the target (AS MUCH, I'll stress that, it's still out there) and I can see a guy who makes millions disrespecting a persons job over gender.

It seems pretty common in society now to jump to gender or race now without knowing, we assume. But I'll wait to make a final decision on this when Matthews will be asked about it likely before tonight's game.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Whether you think it was harmless or not, the backlash he is receiving on hockey twitter and Toronto media is absolutely ridiculous. He didn’t assault anyone but he is being made out to be an evil person. Ryan O’Reilly didn’t even receive this kind of treatment when he drunkenly drove his truck into a Tim Horton’s and fled the scene. He could have killed multiple people including himself. But he doesn’t play for the Leafs so he isn’t Satan. Don’t remember Patrick Kane getting shit on this much either when he punched a cab driver in the head. It’s no wonder ex-players have come out and said they’ve never wanted to play for Toronto.
    I certainly agree that in the greater scheme of things, Matthews offense isn't as serious as other stories we've heard, including the ones you've mentioned. And it is a shame in some regards that an incident like this leads to someone being publicly vilified via social media, etc. In some ways this is a microcosm of the entire "me too" movement. As a society we want sexual harassment to stop, but in the age of social media, public persecution can go too far sometimes. There is a scale and there is a big difference between what Matthews did and what Harvey Weinstein did.

In the end, for Matthews this will blow over. Hopefully this will just be a lesson to him, and hopefully other young men, not to do something stupid like this again.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Big Daddy

Not once does it mention Matthews did it because the security guard was female. The security guard says, "he said he wanted to see how I would respond". And it's not even a direct quote. Assuming it's an act to see how a female security guard responds is putting weight into the gender of the security guard. I read it as, Matthews wanting to see what a security guard at a condo complex would do. Because, personally (and to my fault), it's more common thought of disrespecting a job title over gender. "Let's mess with the security guard" mentality. I can't speak for him, but this is the generation that race, gender, and sexuality is no longer the target (AS MUCH, I'll stress that, it's still out there) and I can see a guy who makes millions disrespecting a persons job over gender.

It seems pretty common in society now to jump to gender or race now without knowing, we assume. But I'll wait to make a final decision on this when Matthews will be asked about it likely before tonight's game.
    Exactly. Suddenly this has turned into sexual harassment to some. Unreal. I’m done.

The Great One

I don't give drunk men the benefit of doubt when it comes to harassing women. It's a little too convenient to say "I was drunk", or "I was just trying to see how she'd react", etc.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't give drunk men the benefit of doubt when it comes to harassing women. It's a little too convenient to say "I was drunk", or "I was just trying to see how she'd react", etc.
    Ok, personal beliefs here. No real benefit to try and discuss this point of the topic any further as neither side will sway.

Administrator

This story will go away pretty soon. I doubt anything significant happens. Meanwhile I have no issue with him being shamed for this. Pain = opportunity to learn and be better.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Ok, personal beliefs here. No real benefit to try and discuss this point of the topic any further as neither side will sway.
    Yes, I fully admit that my "personal belief" here is that drunk men shouldn't be harassing women. Guilty as charged.

Admittedly we don't know exactly what was done or said that night, but it was 2 am and a bunch of drunk men tried to get into a woman's car. And regardless of what anyone thinks, that woman felt victimized enough that she phoned the police and pressed charges against Matthews. Call that "sexual harassment" or not, but it was an offense committed by a man (or more precisely a group of men) against a woman at 2:00 am. Too often in our history we have blamed the victim for over-reacting to men "just being men" and now women are starting to stand up and say, "no more". You can't invade my personal space and make me feel unsafe, no matter the circumstances. Even if you think you are just showing off for your buddies and being funny.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap