Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

The Great One

Default Re: Auston Matthews facing disorderly conduct charge in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Stop responding. Please.
    Stop reading. Please.

Unsubscribe from the thread. Block me. Do whatever you must to make yourself happy.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

Charges dismissed.
    “On Nov. 13 the matter was settled between the parties and the criminal matter was dismissed,” a spokesperson from the City of Scottsdale’s communications department said.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2019/11/14/auston-matthews-disorderly-conduct-charge-dismissed.html
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Money solves everything I guess. Safe to say we knew what she was after from the get-go, and it wasn't justice, but I dont think anyone expected anything less.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Money solves everything I guess. Safe to say we knew what she was after from the get-go, and it wasn't justice, but I dont think anyone expected anything less.
    Very sad that this is what she was doing. Like, I do like her for calling out Matthews...but to bring up PTSD and what not that night and then to fold for money...it puts a sour note on her in my eyes. Like, not "omg what a move by this woman, she sucks" more like a, "ya ok, nice acting through all this". I dunno if I'm articulating my thoughts correctly though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Padawan

Despicable and predictable.
    This was really traumatic for me, but pay me some money and I'll get over it.

Whatever, maybe she needs the money, so good for her.

I do hope Matthews faced more than just a financial penalty for this.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Haven't seen the clip yet but sounds like he finally issued a real apology. As another poster said, he was probably handcuffed from doing so before while the case was pending.

“The case has been dismissed and I just want to reiterate again just how truly sorry I am for my actions and my behaviour,” Matthews said. “I never meant to cause any distress to this woman and I can assure you that I’ve learned from my mistakes and my actions, and now it’s something for myself to strive every day to be better in every aspect of my life.”

Administrator

Hopefully his actions in the coming years reflect his words

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Hopefully his actions in the coming years reflect his words
    Yes, agreed.
    I hope he realizes that he's going to be a God in that city, and for Leafs fans throughout the country if he can lead them to a Cup win.
    He's got all the tools, just needs to learn to act like a professional.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am not totally sure about that. This person was not suing in civil court, it was state prosecution going after him based on her report. She apparently wasn't going to go ahead with it at all until Mathews' father came out and denied Matthews did it. This came out in her interview with police. She is a security guard at the building so if she was just making things up like Matthews' dad said, that could affect her career. It's almost certain that the Matthews wouldn't want her around the building anymore after this at the very least.

Another effect this might have had is on Matthews. A misdemeanor is enough to make crossing the Canadian border...inconvenient.

Additionally Arizona is a bit unusual in that the State(?) [here I think we'd call it the Crown, not sure there] will not proceed with misdemeanor charges if the parties come to a settlement. That's usually how a civil suit involving a claim for damages would work, but not a criminal case like this where Matthews was facing misdemeanor charges. they're normally separate Actions.

Finally, security guards make little money. I'm seeing an average of around $14/hr for Arizona when I google. It probably wouldn't take much for a guy that just collected a $15mil salary bonus to make her an offer she can't refuse.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I am not totally sure about that. This person was not suing in civil court, it was state prosecution going after him based on her report. She apparently wasn't going to go ahead with it at all until Mathews' father came out and denied Matthews did it. This came out in her interview with police. She is a security guard at the building so if she was just making things up like Matthews' dad said, that could affect her career. It's almost certain that the Matthews wouldn't want her around the building anymore after this at the very least.

Another effect this might have had is on Matthews. A misdemeanor is enough to make crossing the Canadian border...inconvenient.

Additionally Arizona is a bit unusual in that the State(?) [here I think we'd call it the Crown, not sure there] will not proceed with misdemeanor charges if the parties come to a settlement. That's usually how a civil suit involving a claim for damages would work, but not a criminal case like this where Matthews was facing misdemeanor charges. they're normally separate Actions.

Finally, security guards make little money. I'm seeing an average of around $14/hr for Arizona when I google. It probably wouldn't take much for a guy that just collected a $15mil salary bonus to make her an offer she can't refuse.
    As I said, money solves everything.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Axeman, I was responding to your implication (and worse ones by certain others) she was in this for the money and not justice. If she was, suing Matthews would have been the way to go. Instead she opted for reporting the incident to police where he would face charges.

In Arizona apparently the system allows for people to buy their way out of a misdemeanor. For Matthews to avoid a possible charge the smart play was to see if you could short circuit this thing, up to and including throwing enough money at it to make it go away. That could even be pretty affordable if the person you want to buy off only brings home $30k-$40k. If you're not making much and you're offered a windfall, a lot of people will take it and that's not "despicable" (as someone other than yourself labelled it). Maybe folks here are paragons of virtue that would turn down large sums of money in order to see a guy suffer very minor consequences for his actions (it is a misdemeanor after all). In my mind, the system that lets someone buy their way out is the despicable thing here.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)

The Great One

Axeman, I was responding to your implication (and worse ones by certain others) she was in this for the money and not justice. If she was, suing Matthews would have been the way to go. Instead she opted for reporting the incident to police where he would face charges.

In Arizona apparently the system allows for people to buy their way out of a misdemeanor. For Matthews to avoid a possible charge the smart play was to see if you could short circuit this thing, up to and including throwing enough money at it to make it go away. That could even be pretty affordable if the person you want to buy off only brings home $30k-$40k. If you're not making much and you're offered a windfall, a lot of people will take it and that's not "despicable" (as someone other than yourself labelled it). Maybe folks here are paragons of virtue that would turn down large sums of money in order to see a guy suffer very minor consequences for his actions (it is a misdemeanor after all). In my mind, the system that lets someone buy their way out is the despicable thing here.
    +1. If she was just after money from the get-go, she would have gone the civil route for day 1. When she choose reporting it, I bet money wasn't even a consideration. And her decision to accept a financial settlement is her right, just like it's Matthews' right to buy his way out of a conviction.

I personally like Matthews' updated apology. The original one missed the mark, like completely missed it. So good on him for making the best of a terrible, drunken decision.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you're not making much and you're offered a windfall, a lot of people will take it and that's not "despicable"

I guess we define "despicable" differently. Fine.
    As I wrote previously, good for her if she needed the money. And sure, many people will take an offer like that, as she did.
    But just because many people would have done the same thing, doesn't make it any less despicable.

If she was truly as traumatized as she claimed to be, she wouldn't care about the money. Just like if she was truly fearful that night, she wouldn't have exited the car to confront those guys.

So accepting the money to make this disappear confirms that she was full of poop from the outset.

She shouldn't get a dime and Matthews should be in an orange suit picking up garbage next summer every weekend.
    That would be justice. But she didn't care about justice at any point.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I mean, despicable has a definition and it implies she's deserving of contempt

I feel like you're making a lot of assumptions and some I'm not sure where you're even getting the info from.

My understanding is that she claimed she had PTSD from her military service, not from Matthews. Having PTSD just means it potentially makes it worse on her than someone that doesn't suffer from PTSD. And she told them so, and that they should not be trying to get in her car at 2am.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...uston-matthews

She says, in bodycam footage of her talking to the police, she didn't even initially consider going to the police. She went after Matthews' father said Matthews didn't do it and it wasn't true. Which is a jerk move. Do you want a security guard at your building that randomly makes up accusations about tenants? I don't.

her quotes from the police interview about why she did it:

“I had no intention of doing any of this … Thank God they had (video) footage (of the incident), because the father (Brian Matthews) was acting like my son would never do something like that and he said he never did anything like that (and) everything that she is saying is not true.“Now you’re calling me a liar. And now I take offence to it, now I’m pissed off, now it’s going to be my goal to show you that your son did do this and if he can start doing this now, and you’re covering for him, then what’s to say it’s not going to get worse when he gets older? That’s what rubbed me the wrong way. How dare you lie? Maybe if you were drunk and you don’t recall, I’m pretty sure you remember some of it because your friend stressed to me, don’t tell management. Right there, you already know that you were in the wrong.”

Personally I don't really have a strong opinion on what legal consequences there should be for harrassing someone while drunk and behaving like a jerk, but yeah it should probably be the same as anyone else gets for doing something similar. At Matthews' age, pretty much everyone I know has acted like a jerk in some way shape or form after drinking too much, and I'm sure I have too. I don't recall ever doing anything threatening to someone I don't know, but Matthews has apologized and settled it with the victim

It sounds like it was a poorly thought-out (drunken) prank that went bad. Annoying, threatening to the victim even if unintended, bad behaviour even if it isn't all that uncommon for a group of young men out drinking all night. It's over now, I don't think Matthews and especially the victim need to be dragged through the mud about this any more.
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I personally like Matthews' updated apology. The original one missed the mark, like completely missed it. So good on him for making the best of a terrible, drunken decision.
    I think the whole reason there wasn't an initial apology was because it was an ongoing case and any apology would be an admission of guilt that would be used against him, so he probably couldn't say as much as he wanted to at the point given lawyers were involved.

Once that was all taken care of, he can freely communicate on the issue and without fear of it being used against him and deliver a more genuine (maybe) apology.

It's unfortunate that that's the way it works sometimes, as in some cases, a genuine apology from the outset can likely diffuse the entire situation, and probably could have here if Matthews camp had dealt with this in a more appropriate manner.