Thread: Keeper thoughts

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Keeper thoughts

So I just pulled off what I think is a genius managing.
    We can only keep one goalie. We have max contracts of 3 years. After 3 years you can only keep max 4 guys with expired contracts.

To start things off I managed to trade hellybuck, karlsson expired and landeskog (the big piece of the trade) to a jets fan for MacKinnon.
    With the crap season hellybyuk brought me last year and them losing some good D this off season I was ready to move on and keep Grubauer. Then it got better the day after as bufflin decides to step away. Few!

I had some serious regret for my 1 minor league spot. I had put a waiver claim in last year for Makar when he was foolishly dropped for Frost after a hot start at the world juniors. My claim somehow got screwed up because the guy I was to drop, I dropped premature. Doh! My bad.

So I got to thinking...brannstrom was just not gonna help me this year. Making me regret makar even more. The owner of Hart kept him in the minors the entire year and never took him out but since he couldn't keep him over fleury (so he thinks) and we have max 1 goalie keep he was willing to swap minor leaguers with me! Brannstrom for Hart! Sorry grubauer, your ADP is almost the exact same as Hart you gotta go. I gain one valuable extra keeper I can use immediately freeing up a spot to keep one of my studly Dmen. Dumba or Gustafson. Win win IMO.

Now digging even deeper I've been putting a lot of thought into Laine. The guy is a shinier Skinner. 40 goals 20 assists type player. On the jets anyway. I just have a feeling this guy won't sign anytime soon! Since he's going into his expired contract season he would have to put down one of the best season he's ever had for me to chose to keep him over my 4 expired guys next year. Crosby, kucherov, gaudreau and MacKinnon. I always thought that he would slide in for Crosby one day but it's just not looking anywhere close to that.

I'm considering flat out dropping him come keeper decision time to keep the other dman....gustafson and Dumba. Before you jump to get a pick for him! We don't trade draft picks. I can't afford to have Rantanen and Laine both holding out. I have considered just keeping Laine and then when he signs try to trade him for a large package of depth players not keepers. Like maybe a 2nd goalie and depth.

Wonder what you think?

Long read...felt good to get that out. Lol

Thanks for reading
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Keeper thoughts

Here is what I think and yes I did read the entire post. I think you do drop Laine outright and add Gustafson and Dumba. I feel the same as you that Laine is going to take a while to sign on the dotted line.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Genius

Contemplating trying to trade Laine with Barzal for Point.
    Steep price to pay but I will lose Laine likely to a supplemental draft after I drop him!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Contemplating trying to trade Laine with Barzal for Point.
    Steep price to pay but I will lose Laine likely to a supplemental draft after I drop him!
    Yikes that’s a no go for me. I just wait on Laine. He will sign eventually. He had a monster rookie year and then a sophomore slump. His value now I see probably the lowest it will be ever again. I don’t drop him or trade him right now. Dropping him seems nuts to me.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Yikes that’s a no go for me. I just wait on Laine. He will sign eventually. He had a monster rookie year and then a sophomore slump. His value now I see probably the lowest it will be ever again. I don’t drop him or trade him right now. Dropping him seems nuts to me.
    Keep in mind he has a year to prove to me that I keep, drop or trade him cause his contract. I can only keep 4 with expired contracts. Does he put it together this year enough to unsuit Crosby? Doubt it and that is on top of he may never sign til Xmas or something. He plays with Little. Trust me it ain't easy but I already have rantanenen unsigned! When I look at his stats for 3 yrs it's like looking at Skinner!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Keep in mind he has a year to prove to me that I keep, drop or trade him cause his contract. I can only keep 4 with expired contracts. Does he put it together this year enough to unsuit Crosby? Doubt it and that is on top of he may never sign til Xmas or something. He plays with Little. Trust me it ain't easy but I already have rantanenen unsigned! When I look at his stats for 3 yrs it's like looking at Skinner!
    Yea he won’t unseat Crosby. Never played that kind of format, not sure. Heh. None of these guys are as single focused as Skinner. I do dislike him. Laine should still be more we’ll rounded and superior offensively. I believe at least.
    Even if not by a ton. I also think he will eventually pick up more assists. I’d still predict 40/40 type eventually.

I would hope he would sign before Xmas but yea there’s no guarantee. It just seems tough dropping a player that really could be a top 10 winger for years to come. Would you be better served keeping Laine and trading him to a team that could keep him if he didn’t sign soon? I would imagine the return on Laine, even while lower now than t should be, would be better than the other options. But maybe that isn’t the case in your league.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Genius

Yea he won’t unseat Crosby. Never played that kind of format, not sure. Heh. None of these guys are as single focused as Skinner. I do dislike him. Laine should still be more we’ll rounded and superior offensively. I believe at least.
    Even if not by a ton. I also think he will eventually pick up more assists. I’d still predict 40/40 type eventually.

I would hope he would sign before Xmas but yea there’s no guarantee. It just seems tough dropping a player that really could be a top 10 winger for years to come. Would you be better served keeping Laine and trading him to a team that could keep him if he didn’t sign soon? I would imagine the return on Laine, even while lower now than t should be, would be better than the other options. But maybe that isn’t the case in your league.
    It's tough to trade to begin with yes. No one wants to buy him at a reasonable price now either! He will be a supp pick cause his contract will reset and they can afford to wait it out. The guy can score! Assists I don't believe will ever be near elite. It's a real tough decision. Hold and try to sell immediately for depth? Possibly.or just move on and keep a stud dman in Gustafson. I do have the chance to trade him with Barzal for Braden point.

Dobber Sports Genius

Better options? Gustafson is probably top 6 dman this year in pts....especially goal heavy. Not bad return for Laine all things considered.