Thread: Keeper Help - Hughes vs Kakko

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keeper Help - Hughes vs Kakko

I have the first pick in an ongoing keeper league. I don't have a great team at all but out of the keepers I do have, i'm crowded in C already so I don't know if Hughes should be my pick or go for a winger in Kakko. My keepers and league stats below:

C - Bergeron, Kuznetsov, Couture, R. O’Reilly

W - Meier, B. Tkachuk

D - Giordano, Doughty, Barrie
    G - Rinne

G, A,
    PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

10 team league
    10 keepers (9 + 1 goalie)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keeper Help - Hughes vs Kakko

Welcome to the forums!
    Tough to wrong with either. I still like Hughes a little more, but with your situation I definitely can understand Kakko. How easy do you think it is to trade a C for an equivalent winger?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Without FOW, I’m taking Kakko all day every day. A lot of Hughes extra C value is lost without FOW and wingers are harder to come by. He’s also not really an elite goal scorer. He will get goals, but looks more like an assist monster. Maybe a better version of Kuznetzov whom you already have. Plus you already have a bunch of great Centers. You def need better wingers. Kakko should be an elite or near elite one.

Also with those cats, specifically SOG and maybe HIT, seems like your league is made for Kakko.

Hughes is going to be terrific, maybe as good as Eichel even if he does improve his shooting. But he’s not McDavid, Mackinnon, Crosby, Stamkos or even Matthews and probably never will be. Whereas I think Kakko could be better than Laine, maybe even Rantanen. He’s not Ovechkin, or Kucherov or Jagr. But then who else really is?
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would take the best player available which is Hughes. Then you can trade one of your other C for a goalie upgrade.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You have the luxury of having the choice of taking the best young player available so why not do so. I would go with Jack Hughes and deal with the surplus of Centers on your team laer. Like another member said trade one for Goalie depth.I think you go with the best player in this situation.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Stud

Another option could be to trade down to the second overall so that you end up with Kakko and a +.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i also like the Idea of dropping down to the 2nd overall and get something more plus the guy you want. but the option to trade one of the other centers and take the best player in in the draft in hughes is another idea the nice thing is you have options take the one you like the best to help your team

The Great One

Trade down to 2nd. And if you can't, take the BPA: Hughes. And trade one of your other Centres.