Thread: Audit My Team

The Great One

Default Audit My Team

In year 3 of my first salary cap keeper/dynasty. Year 1 one a steep learning curve, year 2 was a near miss for the playoffs with some hard lessons I hope to rectify in year 3. I feel like EKs raise hurt and Halls is going to be a killer. Im looking at this year and maybe next year as my real contention window- and then Ill have to take a hard look to see what kind of tweakin, even re-building I might be in store for.

So last year two of my biggest killers were not being deep enough, volatile goal-tending and trading away patrick kane (taking a big hits in the point department).

I was all over the map with goaltending and in a funny turn of events MAF who was not quite a throw in, but pretty close to it, in that same Kane trade really had a fantastic year and has entrenched himself in my rotation. i am currently shopping him along with other assets to maybe land a younger guy- but honestly I might just ride him until the wheels fall off as he's playing fantastic right now, has virtually no competition, and fits squarely in my hypothetical contention window. Last season i flipped Josh Anderson for Mrazek before his end of season surge and just now managed a deal which at its core was swapping Mrazek and Dubnyk (in a funny plot twist- it was with the same owner and during our long negotiations that never came up. i dont think either of us realized that until i did posting it here- lmao!). Jouko-Pouko in the forums (hell pop up again) gave me two absolutely fantastic waiver adds with the bigger one being Elvis Merzlikins. we draft 7 rounds every year so he was drafted and then dropped just when teams had to make a decision on wether they could fit him on their farm roster (as opposed to our junior rosters which are unlimited as long as theyre under three years drafted). In any case I got him for frr in a league sooooo deep i legitimately had to give a lot of contem[plation as to wether dropping David Cotton was safe or not- lol! Ill go through group by group but that leaes my goaltending now as... Andersen, Fleury, Dubnyk, and Elvis. Considering I was leaning hard on Quick and Smith last year i feel much better going into this season.

Second was my depth scoring on the bench and just as importantly my farmhand replacement guys. Weve got an 8 man bench but we also ice a deep active roster with daily changes and no games played limits so theres a heavy rotation of players and your depth DOES get tested. The second best fee waiver add I made (compliments of JP- woot woot!!) was a player nobody had heard of named Emil Bemstrom. I didnt end up keeping him which could come back to haunt me but I traded him for Sikura and Marody, then i flipped Sikura for persson and Ho-sang. So while I hate losing bemmy I turned him into three exciting owns in Marody, Ho-Sang and Persson. I acquired Toffoli for picks and then swapped him and more futures for Olofsson and Coleman. I managed a trade that in retrospect might not have been great in swapping my Pacioretty for his Hornqvist based on my thinking that Hornqvist would have a great year (Kessel gone so he should be a lock on pp1, playing for a contract) to save in cap- but the bi-product we added in was kase for Viliardi so igot more active depth that way. Lastly we did a waiver draft type of thing for all the unsigned guys that came over and I was happy to land Mikheyev, Nygard, and Sturm!

Centers:
    Zibanejad, Kadri, Hinostroza

Thoughts
    I love Zibanejad. he's a beast thats only getting better and the best part is that hes signed into a contract hes vastly outgrown already and still has 3 seasons left on it. i took some crticism for holding on tight to kadri but his was another contract i really couldnt fathom letting go, especially with the way his peripherals favor our scoring. now hes a sleeper pick of the summer to rebound as C@/pp1 in Colorado. Hinostroza is a fairly weak third option but his projections and cap hit all scream good value. i think hes just miscast here and finding a strong center has been the econd biggest agenda Ive had outside of solidifying my goaltending.

Grade: B
    As much as i love Ziba hes not a true number one elite center- especially in an age of Mackkinons and McDavids. Also Kadris probably better as a number three and Hino as a number four. realistically if I could just plug in a superstar everyone would slide into their correct spot- lol! i think I would be content with a 1B situation if I could get another center around Zibas tier. the problem is compunded by the fact that I dont have another C on my active roster and withdaily changes thats a problem. Three forward flex positions help that factor but dont erase it.

Left Wing:
    Taylor Hall, Evander Kane, Filip Forsberg

Thoughts
    i think the top end of both my wings are in good shape. In both cases my "elite" option at the top has slipped in value a bit. that being said i think hes due for a monstrous rebound and suddenly has a way better supporting cast with hughes, Subban and Gusev. Next year his contract will be a problem- this year it is like a cheat code- borderline unfair! kane showed what he could do in a full (and disciplined) season and the results were fantastic for a power forward. Forsberg is struggling to hit the totals we had all hoped for but that being said hes still a goal scoring, volume shooting dynamo signed to one of the best term contracts for a star in the league.

Grade: A
    By the time Hall reminds us why hes a superstar this will be an a plus. he was a Hart winner because he had such a huge point differential on his team. Now that hes actually got a team around him the results could be scaring. these guys are all volume shooters which is something I target (like crazy- lol!) and it starts at the top with Hall. Love those pim contributions from evander.

Right Wing:
    Vladimir Tarasenko, Brendan Gallagher and Patrik Hornqvist

Thoughts:
    Like Hall tarasenko has some recently developed question marks with many people debating now if hes actually a 30 goal scorer, 70 point player. i dont buy it. His pace last year was torrid. When i got him two years ago I felt like his contract was high for the time. Now its an absolute bargain and hes signed for another 4 seasons. gallagher is a grinders grinder but has secured a topline spot and looks like the only thing that will slow him down is injuries. I believe Hornqvist has a very good season in him coming up. Kessel is gone so theres more pp time available and on top of that hes in a contract year. hes always been undervalued imho but with our peripherals i think he'll be just fine.

Grade: B+
    I almost went A minus but between the inconsistency of tank, the injury risk of Gally and horny and the comparatively low ceiling if hornqvist especially I thought this is more of a B category. On the plus side my flex group has some pop to it so there are injury replacements this time around. Again I targetted volume shooters and am happy with the addition they'll bring to the shots column. They're a chippy bunch too with some exceptional pin contributions especially for scorers.

Flex:
    Kreider Palmieri Perron

Thoughts:
    Palmieri maybe should be my third RW lol! I just got him but now that I think about it he may warrant it over Hornqvist. I think Kreider is in for a big year. Many pundits fear he's aging out as a power forward game hits a rapid decline at some point. I feel the opposite- his game is perfect to round out the rags top pp unit and although they're stacked there he really only has to beat out buchnevich as the 5th man and I think he can as the net front presence. He's averaged 50ish points on the back of 12 pop seasons. He could pretty much double that this year and with variance he's be closer to 65. With pins and hits that's beastly and all at 4.6! Perron is a funny one. He's not only averaging close to a 70 point pace but he's doing it in a way that somehow feels sustainable even though his songs are lacking. I'm tempted to trade him but at 4 million it's hard to move that production.

Grade: B
    I'm looking at a trade that involves Toffoli for Perron. If I can acquire him and he bounces back this group looks better. As is it's not a bad group. For all intents and purposes they're a line four. While they all have issues they're reasonably affordable and produce pretty well for fantasy fourth liners.

Bench (Offense):
    Kase, Coleman, Terry, Lehkonen, Hartman

Thoughts
    My bench and farm were a mess last year which really hampered my chances at the end. I had rutta on their all season and I'm not sure he was consistently my worst bench ootion- lol! Kase is an exciting own at a good price point although he cost viliardi who I do like long term. Coleman felt underrated based on peripherals but with all the talent injected in NJs lineup he might not have as much of an opportunity. Apparently Lehkonen is doing very well lined up with Domi and Gallagher in the pre-season- love his sogs per minute. Terry is a Calder candidate and if he faulters I've got olofsson Marody and ho sang as farm replacables. Hartman is what he is but maybe he finds his game a bit on a new team. That being said I sorely lack centers and the pims alone he contributes with the multi positional eligibility are worth the price of admission.

Grade: B-
    A nice mix of stable affordable vets and exciting yourh I've got cats covered which I think is where you want to add your pins and was surprised at the amount of volume shooters I could round up. I've got no real superstar in waiting but there is real upside here especially in Kase and Terry. Pretty good for having virtually no draft picks since I started lol!

Goaltending, defense, bench and farm coming...
    Last edited by Fighting_Emu; September 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Not finished

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Audit My Team

For a 14 team league, your team is extremely solid. I wouldn't be too antsy making moves until the season is underway. No point messing with a good thing.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Thank you eb- that means a lot!!

The Great One

Defense:
    Karlsson Krug Hamilton Ghost Gustafsson Hronek (BN)

Thoughts:
    Karlsson is so good but he's so expensive. That being said I'm not even going to try and move him with his injury being so prominent right now. I did that with Crosby at the worst time and refuse to do it again- lol! I mean he out up almost a ppg on one foot. I'm going to at least wait to see what he can do in what is hopefully a healthy season. Krugs an underrated boss and the benefit of being a one dimensional real life dman is that you don't need to pay them as much lol! Hamilton my favorite breakout candidate on the backend. I've been shopping ghost but I honestly think he's fine. I generally look for 10 points per million and even in a "train wreck" year he basically got there and brings great peripherals to boot. He's got the potential to vastly outplay his contract in any given year. Gus is a guy I'm not so sure on. During negotiations I was pretty hard on his being unproven but it seems like the pundits now agree he's legit. I'm still not totally sure. I could see severe regression to the tune of 45ish. At 1.7 that's still brilliant but if he signs a hefty extension things get dicey because his peripherals are not great at all. That means it's a fairly "empty calorie" upside he's bringing which would be exaggerated by a steep contract AND if he does lose pp time to an emerging Boqvist his contributions will dropoff a cliff without warning. In any case he looks like a great own for this season. I'm a big believer in Hronek who has already put up half a point per game. His dogs also look better when you factor in his TTOI- cost a fair chunk (Quick plus - yikes) but he's a fun guy to own in a dynasty.

Grade: A
    If EK puts up even the same points with better sogs and goals this becomes an a plus even with that hefty contract. Krugs the ga.ebreaker the average fam hasn't heard of. hamton is an elite dman whose just waiting for the coaches/deployment to catch up. I kind of backed into a diamond in the rough in Gus maybe. Hronek is a perfect bench guy- if he produces at the same clip he's ok but he's got a chance to really outperform that contract. I feel like my team is built around productive D and goaltending so I'm pretty happy with my back end.

Goaltenders:
    Andersen, Fleury, Dubnyk (BN), Elvis (bench)

Thoughts:
    Andersen is a monster and I'm a leafs fan. We count wins and saves so I'm always looking for volume. Have that same volume in Fleury and Dubnyk (who I just acquired for Mrazek plus). I think that leaves Elvis perfectly placed as my number four where I won't need a ton out of him. Things get murky in coming years when Fleury hangs his skates up but I'm interested to see what montembault can do. I've got a hunch that hes got the ability to play himself into a starters role at some point in his career.

Grade: A+
    I hate being cocky but objectively I probay have one of the best active tier one goalies and .at e the best roomie bookending the other side of things. In the middle are two of the better/busier goalies in the league and as stated previously- those games ayes matter in a wins and saves league. In a 14 teamer you could definitely do worse /endbrag

I might add my farm later but I'm sleepy and not sure if this is a boring read for people...