Thread: Which 2 D-man to pick?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Which 2 D-man to pick?

I have the opportunity to pick with my first 2 selections in the waiver portion of my draft two of these 5 defensemen:

Cale Makar
    Quinton Hughes
    Thomas Chabot
    Miro Heiskanen
    Matt Dumba

Who do you see having the higher upside? I'm pencilling in Chabot as one of my picks, but the other 4 are close. My league is points only and we dress 2 D every week. My other D is Seth Jones, so I'm looking for 2 other strong candidates for the upcoming years. I'm not necessarily in win now mode, but looking to see who would be the best points only option 2-3 yrs down the road. I know Dumba is the most experienced, but I'm not in win mode anyways.

Another thing, would you cut Jones and pick 3 of these instead?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Which 2 D-man to pick?

My guess is Clm is a train wreck this year so I'd stay away from Jones.
    Chabot, Hughes, Makar for me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Chabot is a definite. Then I would lean towards Makar just a tad over Hughes. In the short stint I saw Makar at the end of last season he seemed like he had it together for a young D-Man which is really hard to find.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Titan

Chabot and Makar would be my two, but is your league so shallow that Jones/Dumba would have no trade value? If it's that shallow, why do you need to rebuild for 2-3+ years out?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

It's not that its shallow, it's that there is no trading in this limited keeper. My team is in the twilight zone aka mid-pack with zero chance of winning until my young guys develop. We keep 10 and this year I'll have Jack Hughes along with a few other young guns. So Makar would be your pick along with Chabot.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nuge2hall View Post
    It's not that its shallow, it's that there is no trading in this limited keeper. My team is in the twilight zone aka mid-pack with zero chance of winning until my young guys develop. We keep 10 and this year I'll have Jack Hughes along with a few other young guns. So Makar would be your pick along with Chabot.
    If that is the case, I would go with Chabot and Makar as well. Before that info I was leaning towards Dumba instead of Makar.
    Devils & Predators fan

Big Daddy

If your rebuilding you have to go with Chabot and Makar.

Dobber Sports Stud

Chabot, Makar