Thread: 1 Year League - How did I do in the draft?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default 1 Year League - How did I do in the draft?

Hi guys - just drafted my yearly team and wanted to get some feedback. Since it's a multi cat league I went with guys that are more versatile and can offer hits and blocks. I think I went a bit earlier on a few sleeper players (i.e. Couturier, Rakell) and D is pretty weak as I missed a few trains during the draft. Thoughts on the team or players I should replace?

Team and Categories in Sig.

1. (3) Alex Ovechkin (Was - LW)
    2. (22) Mitchell Marner (Tor - RW)
    3. (27) Martin Jones (SJ - G)
    4. (46) Gabriel Landeskog (Col - C,LW)
    5. (51) Connor Hellebuyck (Wpg - G)
    6. (70) Evgeny Kuznetsov (Was - C)
    7. (75) Keith Yandle (Fla - D)
    8. (94) Sean Couturier (Phi - C)
    9. (99) Evgenii Dadonov (Fla - LW,RW)
    10. (118) Mathew Barzal (NYI - C)
    11. (123) Alex Pietrangelo (StL - D)
    12. (142) Jack Hughes (NJ - C)
    13. (147) Rickard Rakell (Anh - LW,RW)
    14. (166) Radko Gudas (Was - D)
    15. (171) Shayne Gostisbehere (Phi - D)
    16. (190) Adam Larsson (Edm - D)
    17. (195) J.T. Miller (Van - LW,RW)
    18. (214) Casey DeSmith (Pit - G)
    H2H 12-Team Keeper (8 + 4 rookies*) - G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Larkin, RNH, Kuznetsov
    LW: Draisaitl, Keller, Meier, Lehkonen, Benn
    RW: DeBrincat, Reinhart, Boldy
    D: Q. Hughes, Weeger, Gudas, York, Andersson, Durzi
    G: Skinner*, Talbot, Allen, Stolarz, Wolf*
    IR+: Larkin, Trouba, Vilardi

H2H 12-Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, HIT, BLK / W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    IR:
    G:

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 1 Year League - How did I do in the draft?

To be blunt, not a big fan of your team. Your GAA and Sv% aren't going to be great despite using some earlier picks on goalies. I think you waited too long on defencemen, and drafted a little more for name than for what they actually provide fantasy wise.
    You also say you drafted guys that hit, but it's basically just Gidas, Larsson, Landy and Ovie, while the rest of your forwards are just scorers.

Doesn't mean you can't succeed, just that I think you're not starting out ahead of the pack anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I like your late picks of Ghost and JTMiller. But your being late on D-men is going to make it a bit harder for you to trade for better wingers. Are Colin White or Robert Thomas available as a waiver-wire flier?
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the honest feedback. I agree I kinda drafted based on names (was really not sure about Pietriangelo) but panicked and took who I know.

D will definitely be an issue this year. Guys like Makar and Hughes are gone also so I'll need to wait for the next breakout Ds during the early season.

Thomas and White are available. Key Fa so far include Palmieri, Hischier, Gourde, Backlund, Tuch, Kornecy. Pretty slim on D (Johnson, McNabb, Myer, Seabrook, Lindholm, Boychuck)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would drop Hughes for Palmieri. He is in for a good year and Hughes will not give you any peripherals.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Get ready to make some early WW picks - drop Desmith - should be able to draft backups if your 2 main goalies get hurt in 12 team league. D may not be as bad as you think.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Other managers will help you (obviously not intentionally) by moving defenders in and out - keep your eyes on waiver wire. I agree that DeSmith is expendable - you could pick him back up for a spot start if needed. Hughes is far more valuable in keeper leagues, but he’s a shiny toy that you might be able to trade better than just to drop him. Look at others’ 11th-12th round picks and see if someone fits you better.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodshowcase View Post
    I would drop Hughes for Palmieri. He is in for a good year and Hughes will not give you any peripherals.
    Hughes wouldn't be my drop as he should perform and should have some solid trade value, but I would definitely figure out a way to get Palmieri on my team NOW. Larsson/Gudas, and DeSmith are the most replaceable, so I would have no qualms dropping them.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Do not drop Jack Hughes. Not even in a 1 year league. I think you can drop Adam Larsson for sure for Palmieri.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'll queue to drop Desmith for Palmieri

There's Hagg and Myers available also. Larsson and Gudas are there to help me with blocks and hits but probably better to get a more multi cat D than heavy blk hits.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by gogoayane View Post
    I'll queue to drop Desmith for Palmieri

There's Hagg and Myers available also. Larsson and Gudas are there to help me with blocks and hits but probably better to get a more multi cat D than heavy blk hits.
    Agreed. Since both will hurt you in scoring, shots, and Larsson will kill your +/-.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Man sorry to tell you that but I dont like it... Not a fan of having both Jones and Helly. They should get you the wins but not a very good Sv% and GAA. Especially Jones in the 3th round and Helly in the 5th in a 12 team league...I just did my first draft last night. In that 16 team league Jones went in the 7th round, Helly in the 5th.

Kuznetsov, Yandle, Dadonov, Highes, Barzal, Gostisbehere.... all would be solid in a points league but in multi-cat you will be far behind in peripherals.
    Hey you can always make some trades and balance your team!
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Superstar

It's kind of a so-so team. I don't like your goalies or how high you took them.

I would drop DeSmith for Palmeiri ASAP and look to move some points for some grinder type players.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR