Thread: Ranking these Goalie-Defense combos

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Ranking these Goalie-Defense combos

I know this is a weird sort of post, it's a league with very weird rules, but it's 25 years old or so. Goalies count SV%, Skaters count goals & assists, but there's math and (what are essentially) dice rolls. So more points better. You need at least 2 Defensemen to match your starting goalie. I have no legal lineup going into this season. A asterisk (*) means the player is unowned. Weekly start, but only first game of week counts, so it's very variable.

Theoretical options for me, all involve traded or drafting/free agency, listed in order of ease of getting something done:

WAS: Holtby, Carlson, Orlov*
    TOR: Andersen, Reilly, Dermott* ( or better 2nd D if I can trade for one)
    FLA: Bobrovsky, Matheson*, Weegear* (could acquire Yandle/Ekblad, but would cost a decent bit)
    CAR: Mrazek*, Gardiner, Hamilton*
    COL: Grubauer*, Makar*, Girard*
    STL: Binnington*, Pietrangelo*, Dunn*

Bobrovsky will either be on my team with matching defenders or dealt to the team with Yandle/Ekblad. He has no help for me on the blueline to send back, but I can upgrade my forwards. I appreciate all feedback, and I understand if it's too weird to wrap your head around, or that if you have questions.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Ranking these Goalie-Defense combos

What would it cost to just acquire Yandle? Matheson has some serious break out potential... I'd hold him.

the Colorado trio is the most enticing... there's some real 'sex' appeal. - in the fantasy sense of the term

toronto - if you can get Barrie with Rielly would be your best option - by far
    St.L - would be next for me... your most stable possibility to find 50-40 pt Dmen.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    What would it cost to just acquire Yandle? Matheson has some serious break out potential... I'd hold him.

the Colorado trio is the most enticing... there's some real 'sex' appeal. - in the fantasy sense of the term

toronto - if you can get Barrie with Rielly would be your best option - by far
    St.L - would be next for me... your most stable possibility to find 50-40 pt Dmen.
    Thanks for the feedback, I can't rep you.

I don't have Matheson, he's a FA, but I will likely try and grab him. Probably cutting a few surplus D I have, but need to figure out who I am picking in the draft next week.

I can try to get Muzzin or Barrie, but I don't really have good fits with those teams, I don't think.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Grubauer, Makar,Girard.
    Good team in front of Grubauer.
    Also power player with these 2 in some form should be really productive.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Washington and Toronto for me...both good goalies and 2. 60 plus Ds
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Big Daddy

If the asterisk means the player is unowned why not go for the Colorado set? Adding Grubauer, Makar and Girard for free doesn’t seem right but that is how I am understanding it.

Otherwise I’m going with the Toronto trio and upgrading on Dermott.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    If the asterisk means the player is unowned why not go for the Colorado set? Adding Grubauer, Makar and Girard for free doesn’t seem right but that is how I am understanding it.

Otherwise I’m going with the Toronto trio and upgrading on Dermott.
    My guess is that he would have to draft all three players, and trying to draft Makar, Girard and Grubauer will be next to impossible. Leaving him to rely on trades.

If this is the case, I'd draft Dermott and stick with the leafs. And since Dermott will be out awhile, I'd also swing for the fences and use a late pick on Sandin. (Keep in mind that Muzzin and Barrie and in the last year of their contract, so Sandin might be a sneaky late value pick)

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The asterisks do mean unowned, and we have a 2 round non-snake draft, so Colorado/St. Louis presents the challenge of getting 2 of the 3 at 1.09 and 2.09, plus the third in free agency. If I get the goalie & 1 defenseman, that other one would normally be easy to get, as nobody really wants the #2 D from a random team, unless they score a lot.

My 2 cuts after draft are easy: Hainsey & another D-man.

I took an easy way out to partly solve this, I dealt Gostisbehere & Werenski for Ekblad & Yandle. Will consider the other things people said, as I'm not opposed to changing out Holtby or carrying a 4th goalie, which is normally crazy, but I can handle crazy with my forward core.