Thread: Another offer in

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Another offer in

League in sig.
    The season must be getting close because I am beginning to receive unsolicited offers regularly again.
    This morning's deal is an interesting one involving some intriguing names.
    His Kapanen and Podkolzin for my Troy Terry and Cole Caufield.
    This is a tough one to read. Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Another offer in

terry and caufield, no brainer for me

Dobber Sports Jedi

Points wise, give me Terry/Caufield
    Multi-cat league - give me KK & Pods.
    Kappy hits a fair amount, 60ish/yr.... shoots more than Terry does/will --
    But Podkolzin has a Radulov type game.
    A grind it out, in your face game with an elite compete level. He swings it for me in any pool that counts hits/PIM
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Points wise, give me Terry/Caufield
    Multi-cat league - give me KK & Pods.
    Kappy hits a fair amount, 60ish/yr.... shoots more than Terry does/will --
    But Podkolzin has a Radulov type game.
    A grind it out, in your face game with an elite compete level. He swings it for me in any pool that counts hits/PIM
    Agree. Kappy had 92 hits last year, I see him over 200 SOG and 100 hits/yr going forward. For me the hard part of the deal is the Podkolzin/Caufield side. These are both good looking rookies but for different reasons.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Agree. Kappy had 92 hits last year, I see him over 200 SOG and 100 hits/yr going forward. For me the hard part of the deal is the Podkolzin/Caufield side. These are both good looking rookies but for different reasons.
    Caufield will give you lots of shots and lots of goals... at his size, don't expect periph help. Even his assist totals with the USDP were low. To say he'll be a 40g guy I feel pretty confident in that... but.. will he be a 20A guy or 40A guy?? That's where his question mark in my mind is.

With Pods he's everywhere, does everything. He'll give you 100 hits/year 200+SOG...
    How many goals/assists ? I think there's a similar ceiling/variation as with Caufield. Thinking of him becoming a 30-50 or 35-45 level scorer is very reasonable.
    He should have been taken in the top 5 IMO. Waiting one extra year made him drop. All US prospects not named Hughes are in the NCAA for 1yr.
    In the grand scheme of things, what's one year?

Personally, I think we'll see them with similar point totals and both have 80-90pt potential ceilings. It's how those points are distributed that will vary.
    When two prospects are that close in general upside... take the one that will fill everything.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Pods give 50+PIM on an annual basis either. There's a bit of snarl there.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Caufield will give you lots of shots and lots of goals... at his size, don't expect periph help. Even his assist totals with the USDP were low. To say he'll be a 40g guy I feel pretty confident in that... but.. will he be a 20A guy or 40A guy?? That's where his question mark in my mind is.

With Pods he's everywhere, does everything. He'll give you 100 hits/year 200+SOG...
    How many goals/assists ? I think there's a similar ceiling/variation as with Caufield. Thinking of him becoming a 30-50 or 35-45 level scorer is very reasonable.
    He should have been taken in the top 5 IMO. Waiting one extra year made him drop. All US prospects not named Hughes are in the NCAA for 1yr.
    In the grand scheme of things, what's one year?

Personally, I think we'll see them with similar point totals and both have 80-90pt potential ceilings. It's how those points are distributed that will vary.
    When two prospects are that close in general upside... take the one that will fill everything.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Pods give 50+PIM on an annual basis either. There's a bit of snarl there.
    Interesting comments on your part. The comparables I have seen on each player are very compelling. Podkolzin is compared to Landeskog who is a Tier 1 winger in multi-cat. On the other hand there is Caufield with all of the obvious ADB comparisons. ADB scores more goals and has more SOGs but Landeskog blows him away everywhere else and is much more valuable overall.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Interesting comments on your part. The comparables I have seen on each player are very compelling. Podkolzin is compared to Landeskog who is a Tier 1 winger in multi-cat. On the other hand there is Caufield with all of the obvious ADB comparisons. ADB scores more goals and has more SOGs but Landeskog blows him away everywhere else and is much more valuable overall.
    I think Pods ceiling is higher than Landy's. Mainly because last year was the 1st time Landy broke 70...

I think Radulov points wise is a better comparable.

I mean... I'm not sure if I would trade a ADB for Radulov...if they were the same age putting up these stats... maybe I would... hard to remove the 30yr old factor for the hypothetical...

Points wise... Terry/Caufield I'll give an edge to...
    but is that points edge large enough to ignore the potential peripheral coverage KK & Pods will provide?

Personally, I would say no. hits, PIM are easy to find. Guys with high offensive upside that give hits & PIM... really hard to find.

Dobber Sports Sage

I pulled the trigger. Thanks for the insight Luc!