Thread: Turcotte vs Caufield pros and cons

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Turcotte vs Caufield pros and cons

Sup, my dudes? Late at night, bored and thinking about my upcoming draft. I've seen more than a few posts about these guys as to whom should be picked before the other, and the consensus seems to be Turcotte. Not sure I've seen why, though. What reasons are there to pick Turcotte before Caufield? Size? Position? Opportunity? I own the 2nd and 3rd OA picks this year and almost certain that Hughes goes 1st. That leaves me with Kakko and more than likely Turcotte. But, it's been bugging me lately and I find myself maybe leaning towards Caufield. Mainly due to what has been said about him being the best pure goal scorer in the draft. I'm sure folks are getting tired of this comparison scenario, but I really want to knock these picks out of the park as I've never allowed myself to be in such a great position come draft day. Thanks for all you guys do!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Turcotte vs Caufield pros and cons

I wouldn't pick Caufield at 3. If you want him, then trade down to 4/5/6 and get an extra asset. There is a chance that somebody takes him before 6 but one of Byram/Turcotte/Dach slip to you.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Caufield is only the pick if you are swinging for the fences to get the possibly, higher risk, better goal scorer.

Their upsides:
    Turcotte: 35-55-90
    Caufield: 55-35-90

Their downsides:
    Turcotte: 25-35-60
    Caufield: 25-15-40

I'm only considering Caufield over Turcotte in a very goal-heavy weighting of a league.
    Turcotte is super solid, which is why he went #5.
    Caufield has some full-ice doubts, which is why he slipped to #15.

[That said, Caufield is DEFINITELY going to put up great PP numbers, especially PPG - should be good for 15ppg per year... it's just "to be seen" how well he plays at even-strength]

Dobber Sports Wizard

Bump.

I am faced with a decision. One additional factor to consider is the teams they play for and potential ELC contract since we are in a salary cap league.
    I see L.A. as being a bottom feeder for a long time and there isn't a lot of talent there to help Turcotte. So if we're talking production over next 3-5 years, I think he might not be as good as Caufield.

The Habs are a better team and should score more goals and Caufield will benefit from being surrounded by better players. Also, his ELC will be cheaper since he was a later pick.

So given the ELC and team factors going in favour of Caufield, are people still picking Turcotte?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I see L.A. as being a bottom feeder for a long time and there isn't a lot of talent there to help Turcotte.
    Their NHL roster is going to make them a bottom feeder for a few years for sure. But Turcotte could very easily find himself in a bit of a youth movement there in a couple years because the Kings have some great prospects right now. Maybe Vilardi has an uphill battle at this point, but Turcotte could potentially find himself playing on a team with Akil Thomas, Rasmus Kupari, Arthur Kaliev, and Jaret Anderson-Dolan and whatever old guys get to stick around for the rebuild
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

The Great One

Like an earlier posted said, if Caufield is your guy, trade down for multiple assets. You're team needs help everywhere. Personally I'd go Kakko and Turcotte.