Thread: Auction Value of Players Anywhere?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Auction Value of Players Anywhere?

Hi!
    I and my fellow GM’s are having an auction pool tomorrow night and we can’t seem to find a spreadsheet of players value to compare when GM’s do their bidding on the player. We found one on roto but there was a glitch in the system causing players to be valued in the negatives. If anyone could find this type of information it will be great.
    Thank you.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Auction Value of Players Anywhere?

It will differ for every league. How many teams do you have, how much of a budget, and how many players per team?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JEMS View Post
    Hi!
    I and my fellow GM’s are having an auction pool tomorrow night and we can’t seem to find a spreadsheet of players value to compare when GM’s do their bidding on the player. We found one on roto but there was a glitch in the system causing players to be valued in the negatives. If anyone could find this type of information it will be great.
    Thank you.
    There's not really a glitch in the system that values players in the negatives, unless the total dollars on all players with positive values greatly exceed the amount of money in the pool. If it's off by a little bit on the high side, that's actually good in a way, because you will often find an excess of minimum players at the bottom, and then anyone projected with no value will be zero.

However, I recommend that if you do find a spreadsheet, tell the sheet that your minimum bid is $0.10, rather than $1. That way you get a lot more granulaity in the cheap players, and will be much more likely to get a true ranking of them based on projections, and you'll get pretty much everyone projected to be of some value having a non-zero value.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Sorry the late reply,
    What I did was a mock yahoo auction draft and took down how much each player projected price was and used that as a guide with the other gm’s.
    Thank you.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by JEMS View Post
    Sorry the late reply,
    What I did was a mock yahoo auction draft and took down how much each player projected price was and used that as a guide with the other gm’s.
    Thank you.

This isn't a sound way to determine auction values. For casual auction drafters, you'll notice big-name, elite players will be overpaid for; the amount being either completely arbitrary or based on the average values given by Yahoo, ESPN, etc. which of course is an average that is based largely on those arbitrary valuations. Generally if you draft conservatively early, you'll have better control over the draft in the middle and late portions of the draft. This is where you can capture lots of good value.

Like Eskimo mentioned, it value will depend specifically on your league settings - # of teams, # of roster spots, total budget, scoring format etc. Maybe there are some online tools where you can plug in all your league settings and it gives you a guide of prices. However, calculating value it's very subjective in H2H cats and Roto leagues. In points leagues, it's more straightforward as
    you can calculate how many Fantasy Points is each dollar worth. Say a player is projected to score 250 fantasy points. You've calculated every 10 pts is worth $1, so that player is "worth" up to $25. But generally, it's better to draft a $20 player for $10 than it is to get a $25 player for $24. And in any scoring format, you'll have to anticipate/factor in how many $1-2 players are likely to be drafted at the end to assess value.