Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Schneider VS Varlamov?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Schneider VS Varlamov?

Given my league settings (W=1.5, SO=2), who is the better own this year, Schneider or Varlamov?

I like the way New Jersey is trending but am a bit worried about Schneider's health. Though Blackwood is available too, so I could add Schneider and if he goes down, pick up Blackwood. Varlamov seems safe on that defensive Isles team but realistically I don't know if he'll be in a timeshare or not, and if not it may not be a huge difference in starts.

Help!
    10 team, Points Only, H2H. 12F 6D 2G, 4 Bench spots, 2 IR and 1 IR+ spots. Keep 6
    G=1, A=1, W=1.5, SO=2

My Keepers: Crosby, Aho, A. Svechnikov, Krug, Chabot, Kuznetsov

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Schneider VS Varlamov?

I believe that Varlamov is the choice. He'll play more games than Schneider, and probably eke out 5 more wins or so. Both have injury concerns, but it seems to me that NJ wants Blackwood to be the 1A goalie.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I believe that Varlamov is the choice. He'll play more games than Schneider, and probably eke out 5 more wins or so. Both have injury concerns, but it seems to me that NJ wants Blackwood to be the 1A goalie.
    I'll disagree. I say Schneider plays 55 games to Varlamov's 40. If they each win half, that's 27 to 20.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

I'd take Varlamov. It's a tough call but Schneider's lost my confidence.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

varly easy for me, blackwood will be starter by years end I believe

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm tempted to say Schneider here just because you're only talking about Wins and Shutouts. Varlamov should post better ratios, but I'm betting on much closer to split starts than we'll see in New Jersey. Schneider is finally fully healthy from the hip surgery, he played really well down the stretch last season, and he's got the big contract. I think he would have to really play like crap to not have 55+ starts by season's end.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I'd take Varlamov. It's a tough call but Schneider's lost my confidence.
    Sorry just have to address your signature really quickly:

the thing about leftist racism, prairiedog, is that it's an academic concern. Sure, it sucks that Justin Trudeau is a freaking idiot and thinks it's okay to wear brownface playing as Aladdin (which it is definitely not), but it's not like we are talking about literal campaigns of white supremacist murder being carried out as we've seen with the far-right every single day all across the globe. As someone who spent years of my life living down the street from Tree of Life, where a racist mass murderer inspired by President Trump's rhetoric -- specifically the claim that George Soros and leftist Jews were funding the migrant caravan "invasion" in order to subvert American democracy -- murdered 11 people and injured 7 more. There are literally countless examples of far-right terrorist attacks that are directly politically motivated.

Equating the racism of the left and right is just such a disingenuous thing to do. The fact that you keep courting this stuff by posting deliberately provocative political messaging in your signature is disappointing. The fact that you are implying that the racism of the left is anywhere remotely equal to the racism of the right doesn't make you a racist, prairie. It just makes you an idiot.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ace

I'll go Schneider... reading about the 18 month recovery time from Bobby Lu on the hip, and seeing the way Schneider has played at the end of last year, this Summer... coupled with the return of Hall and the additions of Subban and Hughes... PLUS the salary. Yeah, Schneider. Goalies are a conundrum though, so I might vote for Trump to be between the pipes for NJ or LI by the time March arrives!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Icon

Schneider by a fairly large margin. He's fully healthy and ready to be the superstar that he used to be.

Dobber Sports Jedi

This is going to be closer than most think.

Am I the only one that feels with all the changes NJ made expectations have risen too high and they're going to be...mediocre?

NYI I suspect will place higher in the standings. Only issue is Varly won't get as many starts as Schnieder, but it'll be close

for me it's Varly by a hair.. a thin dog hair.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would choose Varly. I have lost some faith in Schneider and feel he will lose a bulk of starts throughout the season.
    12 Team H2H League
    G: Braden Holtby-Was, Matt Murray- Pit, Devan Dubnyk- Min
    D: Victor Hedman- TB, Dougie Hamilton- Car, Josh Morrissey- Wpg, Charlie McAvoy- Bos, Rasmus Ristolainen- Buf
    W: Artemi Panarin- NYR, Vladimir Tarasenko- Stl, Viktor Arvidsson- Nsh, Ondrej Kase- Ana, Jesper Bratt- NJ
    C: Nathan MAckinnon- Col, William Karlsson- Veg, Matthew Barzal- NYI

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I want Schneider, clearly.

1. Neither GAA nor SV% means the Isles system benefit is largely irrelevant.
    2. Schneider comes with health risk, but Varlamov has health risk as well, but has been healthier the last two years.
    3. Schneider you will know sooner if he's not healthy enough versus Varlamov being good enough and healthy enough to keep Greiss at bay.
    4. I doubt Varlamov makes much more than 40 starts. Lehner/Greiss was 43/39 and varlamov is more injury prone than either Lehner or Greiss. If Schneider is back to form, he's getting the bulk of the work.

Basically, you will know about Schneider much sooner, and he's been better over his career.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I see Schneider on the downside of his career even though I see New Jersey as a team going upward. As for Varlamov I don't see him as a top tier goalie, but I see him as the starter who will give away a start here and there to Thomas Greiss at a higher rate than the other regular starters. If I had to give it a number I would give it a 65/35 to Varlamov.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Wizard

Varly....I think this is the year Blackwood takes over for good
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Veteran

Varlamov has some health concerns too. Both could share the net throughout the season but I would take my chance with Schneider.
    Devils & Predators fan