Thread: Thinking I made a mistake with McCann - Pittsburgh

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Thinking I made a mistake with McCann - Pittsburgh

I see he's on the third line with the Pens. Thought he was going to ride shotgun with Crosby / Guentzel.
    I'm in an 18 team pool, 1 year, no positional requirements, straight points - pool, 2 pts/goal, 1 pt/assist.
    Available for pick up:

Klingberg - Dal (should do well as PP1 QB)
    Hintz - Dal (2nd line exposure with Pavelski)
    Dvorak - Fla (2nd line as well)
    D. Brown - LA (1st line + PP, joined at the hip with Kopitar)
    Bratt - NJ (2nd line with Hughes)
    Kahun - Pitt (the reason I feel I need to drop, as he is pencilled in on that first line...which I know can change at the drop of a hat)
    Kotkaniemi - Mtl (I could see him moving into a 2nd line role as the season progresses)
    (leaning towards Klingberg)
    What say's the Dobber brotherhood?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Thinking I made a mistake with McCann - Pittsburgh

I'd easily make the swap of McCann for Klingberg - only one gives you a shot at 60pts and it's not McCann - even on Sid's line... top tier option
    Dvorak would be my second choice
    Hintz my 3rd and I had to really think about him or Dvorak

don't fall for Bratt sticking on line 2... Simmonds is currently out with an injury. I don't see him sticking in the top six.
    He didn't last year and NJ added top 6 pieces
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Agree that Klingberg is by far the best option of those you listed.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Superstar

Dustin Brown for me. With G= 2, A=1 I think Brown puts up the most point.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Administrator

The thing with the Penguins is their wingers are always a revolving door so McCann will get time there eventually but it's unlikely to be permanent for anyone beyond Guentzel.

I'd roll with Brown in this setup, although Klingberg is a close second. My projections have Brown for 21G/31A - 73FP, and Klingberg at 13G/51A - 77FP. While Klingberg is forecast for more, as a defenseman it'll be tougher for him to outperform this projection, whereas Brown could push 25-30 goals and blow his projection sky high.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks boys. I think based on previous years, taking a forward over a D-man makes sense in a goals-heavy format.
    I'm curious to see how the Kings respond to their new coach. (Toffoli is also available...is he ever going to break out?) But in terms of safety, Brown is probably the play here.
    Best of luck in your own pools.
    Bro Hood

Dobber Sports Titan

I can understand going Brown, but I do still like McCann. The PIT lines will be in a blender for a while again, but I think McCann spends more time in the top 6 than out of it this season, and he has a higher floor than brown.
    Klingberg is the sexy name, but 10G and 50A is the same as 20G and 30A. If your F goes 25G and 25A (around where I see McCann), then you actually end up with more points in this setup.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks Eski-Bro. (By the way, I enjoy your column every week). I think I will focus on the first few games of the regular season
    involving Pitt, and LA. See what type of deployment McCann gets early on, as well as how LA looks with their new coach. If I see McCann making hay on one of the first two lines, I can stick with him. If he gets pushed into a 3rd line role, I can see how either Brown / Toffoli are doing. I think I know what I can expect from Klingberg, but a forward is usually a better play in a goals heavy pool.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I see a lot of Brown choices here but if you do go that route, please remember there is a lot of risk. He has only surpassed 20g in two of the last six seasons. He has also failed to surpass the 40pt mark in four of the seasons. This is all with high quality linemates and TOI. New coach = more risk for demotion. Kopitar definitely deserves more talent than Brown... Not saying don't go that route, just if you do it is important you consider the risk as well. Just to note, he is my second choice on this list and I predict him for under 50pts.

I'd go Klingberg because of dependability. His worst season is 8 goals so I suspect he will be in the double digits. 55-70pt range. Last year he was on the lower end of that (55pt pace).

Dvorak (assuming its ARI), is the darkhorse in my mind that could lead this group

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Good point Red. I'm not totally sold on Brown, or the Kings for that matter, especially after such a lousy last season. Hard not to like Klingberg with such a strong PP, adding in Pavelski, and the emerging Hintz. Dvorak (AZ) is another one I will keep my eye on for the 1st couple of weeks into the reg. season.
    T. Wilson in Wash. is also available, but I worry about his ability to not get suspended. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by brother hood View Post
    I see he's on the third line with the Pens. Thought he was going to ride shotgun with Crosby / Guentzel.
    I'm in an 18 team pool, 1 year, no positional requirements, straight points - pool, 2 pts/goal, 1 pt/assist.
    Available for pick up:

Klingberg - Dal (should do well as PP1 QB)
    Hintz - Dal (2nd line exposure with Pavelski)
    Dvorak - Fla (2nd line as well)
    D. Brown - LA (1st line + PP, joined at the hip with Kopitar)
    Bratt - NJ (2nd line with Hughes)
    Kahun - Pitt (the reason I feel I need to drop, as he is pencilled in on that first line...which I know can change at the drop of a hat)
    Kotkaniemi - Mtl (I could see him moving into a 2nd line role as the season progresses)
    (leaning towards Klingberg)
    What say's the Dobber brotherhood?
    Klingberg and Hintz are the ones I would go with.