Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chabot extension

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Chabot extension

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    From what I have seen of both I actually would prefer Chabot at 8M than Butcher at 3.5M.
    Evolving Hockey's GAR over the past 2 seasons would disagree with your eye test:

Top Dmen.png

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Evolving Hockey's GAR over the past 2 seasons would disagree with your eye test:

Top Dmen.png
    Fair point, but the only spot Butcher beats Chabot in that chart is on the PP, where he's not going to be on the top unit this year.

Butcher was also slightly more sheltered this past season, two years older, had better surroundings, and wasn't in his rookie season.

Doesn't mean you're the only one who likes Butcher more, but I'm firmly in the Chabot camp.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Fair point, but the only spot Butcher beats Chabot in that chart is on the PP, where he's not going to be on the top unit this year. Butcher was also slightly more sheltered this past season, two years older, had better surroundings, and wasn't in his rookie season. Doesn't mean you're the only one who likes Butcher more, but I'm firmly in the Chabot camp.
    I am not saying that Butcher is better or will be better than Chabot; I am saying that paying $8M per season for a guy with 134 NHL games played is ridiculous. This contract is going to be another reason why the NHL owners lock out the players when the current CBA expires.

Dobber Sports Titan

I am not saying that Butcher is better or will be better than Chabot; I am saying that paying $8M per season for a guy with 134 NHL games played is ridiculous. This contract is going to be another reason why the NHL owners lock out the players when the current CBA expires.
    Gotcha, I misunderstood.

Though I agree it seems like a lot, it takes a lot to lock up a good young defenceman for that long, especially if you're convincing him to stay in Ottawa. My contract models also generally seem to agree with the number, so if it was a similar situation with my team, I would be happy with it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Am I the only person thinks that is a massive over-payment?

Chabot now has the 6th highest AAV for next season among all dmen in the league. I don't think he is a one of the 30 best dmen in the league yet he's paid like a superstar. Am I wrong to think that a good comparison for Chabot is Will Butcher who signed a 3 year deal for $3.5M? The difference between the two is one of them plays on an NHL team with other actual NHL dmen so he does not get nearly the amount of ice time that Chabot is forced into.
    To answer your question, you are very wrong... That's not at all the same category of talent. That's like comparing Marc-Andre Bergeron to Drew Doughty because on a given season they got the same amount of points per game.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Hmm... both NJ and Ott were tire fires last year... I mean NJ landed the #1 pick... not sure that Butcher was in a better spot at all. I mean -53 vs. -60 Goal difference... Coin toss really.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

way overpaid
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Star

Can we safely infer that Brannstrom will not likely be a PP1 defenseman so long as moneybags Chabot is around?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Can we safely infer that Brannstrom will not likely be a PP1 defenseman so long as moneybags Chabot is around?
    I think most felt that way before the contract

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's odd that they have the $4mill for the lockout possible yr, but it's got $0 in signing bonus...like...why dip that yr?
    There are no signing bonuses in the contract. If that theoretical lockout/strike year is the year with the highest chance of the player earning no money, it's wise to have it have the least income in the structure for the player to lose.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.