Thread: 1st overall pick who do I pick?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 1st overall pick who do I pick?

So a league that I have been apart of has decided to wipe the slate clean and redraft the entire 12 team league. The lottery was done today and I was given the 1st overall selection. Not great considering for this league redraft we are doing a snake draft so for the first two rounds I have the 1st overall and the 24th overall then after each 2 rounds we reshuffle with a deck of cards.

The point structure is this:

Forwards 1 point for assist 1 point for goals
    defenseman 1 point for assists 1 point for goals and .1 for hits and blocked shots
    goalies are 2 points for a win and 3 points for a shutout

This is a salary cap league and with so many players to choose from I struggling on who is the best player with this structure. My original plan was to use my first two picks to grab the best goalies weither that be Vasey, Andersen, Hellybuck or even Hart (I know risky but there has been a lot of hype about him and at 700k would be a steal if he becomes a star in philly.) But with the 1st overall pick should I still go with a goalie or should I grab a forward like Mackinnon, Gaudreau or Kucherov?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [I]12 Team Salary Cap Keeper:
    Fowards: Points Only
    Defenseman: Points & .1 points for hits and BS
    Goalies: 2 pts for win & 3 pts for shutout.

The Magnificent One

Default Re: 1st overall pick who do I pick?

I know tons of discussions on this site for best forward and all but for me I am going with mcdavid. Yes arguments for the 3 you listed and they are even cheaper than mcdavid but to me you gotta take the best player in the world.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think McDavid is the obvious. What he may "lack" in some areas, he'll more than make up for them in points. I wouldn't pick a goalie 1st overall. There are enough good ones out there that you could probably grab later on. To me, picking McDavid is like breathing. You have to!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Icon

Another vote for the best player on the planet. Take McDavid and know that you have the best player in the league locked up for the next 7 years.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yeah, I agree. You have to take McDavid. Straight points league for forwards, he is the only player with 140+ point potential. In a few years his cap hit isn't going to look all that bad. If Marner got $10.8, what is MacKinnon going to get for his new contract? I get that's 4ish years away, but you will still have McDavid. The only other player at play with the 1st OA is Kuch IMO but McDavid has to be the choice.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you broke out wingers from centers, I'd have said Kucherov, period. Without that, you have Kucherov, MacKinnon, and McDavid in the mix. I prefer Kucherov's scoring versus cap cost myself of those 3.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

There are a lot of good centers this year. You'll get one at #24

You won't, however, get a superstar winger like Kucherov or Panarin

I say Kucherov.

Dobber Sports Genius

Kucherov. Being a cap league he'll give you the best bang for your buck.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Straight Forward league and straight points league you have to take Connor McDavid.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Immortal

Kucherov for me as well.