Thread: New keeper league, 5th overall pick

Dobber Sports Novice

Default New keeper league, 5th overall pick

Starting a new 10 team keeper league with the following rosters/scoring.

4C, 4LW, 4RW, 2F, 6D, 2G, 5BN
    G, A, STP (special team points), SOG, H, BLK, FOW
    W, L, SV, SV%

Keep 16 for up to the length of their current actual NHL contract.

I've got the 5th pick and am assuming the first 3 will (in some order) be Ovi, McDavid and Kucherov. I see the next group as MacKinnon, Crosby, Burns and Kane. What order would you put those in and why? Based on your pick, who/what position would you target next?

I'm leaning towards Crosby, then goalie, but am really tempted by Burns.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: New keeper league, 5th overall pick

I suspect Mackinnon goes top 3, and Ovechkin does not. That keeper format means you want long contracts.

What happens if there is an extension or renegotiation?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

the choice is Crosby with FOW and he provides relatively similar hits to Burns.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I suspect Mackinnon goes top 3, and Ovechkin does not. That keeper format means you want long contracts.

What happens if there is an extension or renegotiation?
    It's true that Mac has a better contract, but only by 2 years, and Ovi is a beast in a format like this. As for extensions, it's the contract as of keeping, so extensions signed during the year don't matter, but extensions signed in the summer would. Encourages movement of expiring contracts. RFAs like this year, would be for the new contract (so could be risky to pick someone like Laine who may end up with a 2 year bridge)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Marner's Smelling Salts View Post
    It's true that Mac has a better contract, but only by 2 years, and Ovi is a beast in a format like this. As for extensions, it's the contract as of keeping, so extensions signed during the year don't matter, but extensions signed in the summer would. Encourages movement of expiring contracts. RFAs like this year, would be for the new contract (so could be risky to pick someone like Laine who may end up with a 2 year bridge)
    Okay. part of my thinking is that Colorado is pretty likely to extend MacKinnon before he's up. So in theory, if that happens at any time before his contract expires (either in-season, or say a summer early) one gets his rights for longer.

I realize how awesome Ovechkin is, but normally dynasty drafts favor youth. Often to crazy extremes.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Okay. part of my thinking is that Colorado is pretty likely to extend MacKinnon before he's up. So in theory, if that happens at any time before his contract expires (either in-season, or say a summer early) one gets his rights for longer.

I realize how awesome Ovechkin is, but normally dynasty drafts favor youth. Often to crazy extremes.
    Sorry, not sure if it's as clear as it could have been. As commish, at the keeper deadline, I'll essentially check CapFriendly for the expiry of any NEW keepers and that will be the maximum keeping length for that that player on that team. Any extensions that are signed after that fact aren't included in the max time. Any repeat keepers will already have a max determined from a previous season. Max is cleared when a player is not kept or traded. In regards to Ovi (or any other player with 2 seasons left right now) there would be a hope that an extension is signed before the keeper deadline next summer (i.e. As soon as possible in July)

Dobber Sports Novice

Seems I was bang on. Went Ovi, McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon. I went with Crosby and I'm perfectly fine with that (on an aside, I think this may be the first time I've ever drafted him...In like 15 years of fantasy...crazy!).

Following picks so far have been Drai at 6, then Matthews at 7. Holding out hope that Burns keeps falling to me at 16, but in reality I'd just wonder what kind of league I'm in if he does.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't particularly fully understand the format but Ovie and Burns would not be in my top 10 just due to age, its not they are not good but id rather have Chabot for the next 8 years than Burns for the next 2 if I am deciphering it right