Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2019/20 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2019/20 Dobber Expert - Stanley League

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    That's dedication, my friend!

I feel this is fine enough though. I'll keep it in mind for next year.
    It's all good. A drawback to my way is that you can't search for players like you can when it's in text form.

The Wolverine

Might as well touch on my autodrafted team. Firstly, the squad and then my thoughts:

The Devil's MacKbone (the usual combining a player and a horror film)

C: MacKinnon, Draisaitl(L), Trocheck, Toews, Carter
    L: M. Tkachuk, Hertl(C), Parise, Palat, Fiala(R)
    R: Rantanen, Stone, Hoffman(L), Reinhart(C), Bjorkstrand(L)
    D: Werenski, Suter, Ekblad, Gardiner, Hronek, Spurgeon, Sanheim
    G: Price, Gibson, Koskinen

Interesting results - good forwards, slightly weaker but serviceable defense, and two solid starting goalies. Maybe a bit light on hits but have a few that chip in a decent amount so might be able to hang in there. Wasn't expecting MacKinnon to fall but had thought prior to the draft if someone bumped up goalies then the guy I expected to fall was MacKinnon. Hopefully Rantanen signs soon so the duo can continue their productive ways together. Although I don't have a strong D, there's some good potential if things go right.

We'll see how it goes!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I had to auto draft a couple last year. And I meant to thank you for the advice but didn't, so, thank you. It's a bit like Christmas, getting the list. Utility spots are the enemy. And you never think exactly like your opponents, leading to some hiccups.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    I had to auto draft a couple last year. And I meant to thank you for the advice but didn't, so, thank you. It's a bit like Christmas, getting the list. Utility spots are the enemy. And you never think exactly like your opponents, leading to some hiccups.
    I did? Ok, you're welcome (I think)! Yeah having utility slots would make autodrafting difficult. I'm glad we just have standard positions in these leagues, and given the roster depth we don't need them anyway.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I asked because I knew you did this all the time. I cannot remember what but something you said I hadn't considered and it was really helpful. Perhaps about Yahoo filling the starting spots first.

I won the league because the back half of the draft went well but the front half had issues. It's a ten skater league heavy on offence and really heavy on goalies. I was trying to fill my three D slots with quality and the aforementioned U slot caught a fourth D.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yellow Dogs Draft Recap

I entered with a few thoughts, not all scientifically verified. I knew about what I wanted per category per player to do well. I didn’t want to punt hits again. I wanted to be conscious of shots. +/- was half a thought. Positionally, I thought RW was strongest in the first couple of rounds. There were several LW between 40-100 that I loved (some dual eligible). I didn’t want to fill wing early though because there are late options that are fine. Centre, I wanted to fill before pick 200 as it just dries up after that. There are more options at wing late as teams will take flyers on wingers but they already know who their top centres are. I wanted strong D with established PP time, shots and hits and so I knew I needed to get those fairly early. And goalies…

Everything I have read this year is about goalie becoming more of a time share and how that means you need to get your goalies early and often. And, while I agree in H2H, in roto you have a GP cap. My fourth round goalie last year was Bishop, a great pick that I took simply because he was what was available during the G run. He started 45 games. I, like everyone else, took a bunch of flyers during my last five picks and then I spent the year filling in goalie starts from the waiver wire. From round 16 on the only player I kept all year was DeSmith. So, this year I planned to fill those spots with backups and take no starting goalies. And no goalies at all until I had finished filling all my skater slots. Although I figured I might have to get a couple sometime between rounds 13-20.

1. Kucherov. I had given no thought to who I would take first overall given the opportunity until I received the draft order email. It took somewhere under five minutes to decide and confirm that I was taking Kucherov. He has been ranked 1st and 3rd by Yahoo in the last two years. His situation is impeccable and he is a RW. The floor is too good.

2-3. Eichel and Tarasenko. I was briefly unhappy about the 1st pick until I realized that someone always falls and that there would be two good scoring players at the 2-3 turn. Many of those I thought might make it didn’t. I considered Aho, Malkin and Barkov but favoured the SOG and a RW.

4-5. Aho and Forsberg. I had always been thinking LW and D here. Hoping for Letang and Guentzal but thinking about Forsberg, Benn, Marchessault,, Tkachuk and considering moving up Meier or Kane. Letang went early and I watched Malkin and Aho fall. I started hoping for Aho because I have had a lot of Malkin over the years, including elsewhere this year. Forsberg needs health and a better PP but he checks a lot of boxes and I think Aho, ranked 16 by Yahoo last year, might be better this year.

6-7. Dumba and Klingberg. I wanted to lay off wingers and most of the ones I wanted had already gone so I started on D. Dumba helps all round and Klingberg can go over 60 points despite not hitting much.

8-9. Ristolainen and Doughty. Zibs, Dahlin, Weber, Subban, Gustafsson, Anderson, Radulov, Svechnikov, Trouba and Trocheck all flew off the board. So I continued to take D. Risto might lose PP time but it is a skill of his so hopefully he still gets some. Doughty is still the guy in LA. Both shoot and hit. But the +/-... Hopefully new coaches can turn some things around.

10-11. Theodore and Nurse. When Morrissey went, I checked the remaining D and decided to finish the position off. They seem like reaches but there wasn’t much left that I liked. If Theodore can get 60% of Vegas’ PP time and Nurse can just do what he did last year, I will be happy enough.

12-13. Hischier and JT Miller. I wanted to finsh C off before pick 200 and I know that Temek likes Hischier. Toews, Dubois, O’Rielly and Kadri had all gone since my last pick. I, like many others, expect him to improve this year. Then, with 3 C, I wanted some wingers. Miller hits and should pick up points and PPP with improved deployment in Vancouver. Shots are weak but that is why I took those SOG at the start.

14-15. Halak and Saros. When Markstrom went four picks before me, I thought I needed to get started on goalies. If you want to draft a bunch of one position you need to allot enough picks to get them.

16-17. Johansen and Khudobin. At pick 192 overall, I thought Johansen was a fine 4th C. Doesn’t shoot but he hits enough and should be good for 65ish points with 1st PP time and decent +/-. Khudobin continues the goalie plan.

18-19. Hornqvist and Bertuzzi. D and C are done and I wanted to fill in G later and finish RW/LW now rather than wait on flyers. I almost looked past Hornqvist as he was at the top of the list and you get used to the top guy being someone nobody wants. When I saw the name, I had to check to see if he was still alive or injured. I have never considered him because he always goes early in this kind of league. Worth a pick here for the SOG, hits and PPP, if he still has it in him. Bertuzzi doesn’t reach any per player benchmarks but he doesn’t fall too short. He seems locked in with Larkin and Mantha with 1st PP in Detroit and has young player upside.

20-21. Korpisalo and Reimer. The wingers left looked about the same from here to waivers so I continued the goalie plan. Korpisalo might start 50 in Columbus and they are still going to win half their games with a tighter emphasis on defense. Reimer might split or seize the job in Carolina. Even as a back-up on a good young team, he will help.

22-23. Campbell and Allen. Campbell was good last year. Quick was hurt and wasn’t good. Allen might back-up on the Stanley Cup champions or maybe Binnington was fourth on the depth chart at the start of last year for a reason.

24-25. Terry and Texier. My last two wingers. Already replaced with Pearson and Bjugstad. These aren’t flyers. I need them to play. Pearson clicked with Horvat last year and is lining up net front on one PP unit in Vancouver. Bjugstad can occasionally fall into time with Crosby or Malkin. Both can pace 300 combined shots and hits with 40+ points. Can, not will.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

My team - Lord of the Rinks
    Draft position #8
    I made sure I posted this after the RHRS draft as too many GMs to cross swords with in each league. While league settings are different, GM tendencies and player biases generally are consistent so no need to broadcast any insights in advance.

Based on my draft position I knew I wasn't going to get any of the truly elite so I wanted to put together a balanced team with no critical gaps. In the Expert league along with the RHRS if you punt a category or bottom out in a category with this level of competition, you die. For this draft, I'm not targeting centers until late (unless I get incredible value), as the center position is generally deep and doesn't gain any additional value in this scoring format (no FOWs for example). I wanted to focus on getting quality in areas of positional scarcity so setting up for solid goalie stats, and establishing a solid D core will be a differentiator for me if I draft value at the forward positions. Drafting in the middle of the pack also provides some insulation from the inevitable goalie and D runs, so I always had several players in my tiers for these positions I could draft in order to not lose focus or lose out in a run (and if I recall, there were at least 3 goalie runs and a few D runs as well). Having goalie depth in a deep roto league is a necessity and targeting a goalie like Schneider as my third goalie was a tactic heading into this draft (his health plus his salary will give him the starting role and the team in front of him should be much improved). His health is always a risk but nothing ventured nothing gained.

After my securing my 3rd goalie and filling my active slots I focused for the most part in drafting bench players who have upside potential (Comtois, Olofsson, Fabbro). I'm comfortable in Comtois and Fabbro playing meaningful roles for their NHL teams and I would much rather swing for the fences in late rounds with rookies like Kravtsov or Olofsson on my bench than drafting low ceiling veterans. (Note, I made two minor moves with FA selections - dropping Kravtsov for Hayton and adding additional goalie depth with Demko.)

Overall I'm happy with my team - it's balanced across stat categories and I've got quality on defense (Krug / Subban / Trouba / Pietrangelo) and in goal (Bishop / Rask / Schneider) along with a couple of potential 90 point forwards in Pastrnak and Gaudreau.

My team:
    C: PL Dubois (round 11 / #128)
    C: M. Duchene (round 14 #161)
    C: A. Athanasiou C/LW (round 15 / #176)
    C: D. Strome (round 17 / #200)
    L: J. Gaudreau (round 3 / #32)
    L: T. Meier LW/RW (round 5 / #56)
    L: M. Granlund LW/RW (round 16 / #185)
    L: L. Crouse (round 20 / #233)
    R: D. Pastrnak (round 1 / #8)
    R: B. Gallagher (round 9 / #104)
    R: V. Arvidsson LW/RW (round 10 / #113)
    R: W. Simmonds (round 19 / #224)
    D: T. Krug (round 6 / #65)
    D: PK Subban (round 7 / #80)
    D: J. Trouba (round 8 / #89)
    D: A. Pietrangelo (round 12 / #137)
    D: N. Pionk (round 18 / #209)
    D: D. Fabbro (round 21 / #248)
    G: B. Bishop (round 2 / #17)
    G: T. Rask (round 4 / #41)
    B: C. Schneider G (round 13 / #152)
    B: M. Comtois LW (round 22/ #257)
    B: V. Kravtsov RW (round 23 / #272 - note since dropped and replaced with B. Hayton C)
    B: T. Taffoli RW (round 24 / #281)
    B: V. Olofsson LW/RW (round 25 / 296)
    (note: added Demko by moving Athanasiou to IR slot)
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Last Resort

C Larkin, Horvat, Getzlaf, Stepan
    LW Hall. B.Tkachuk, Skinner, Atkinson
    RW Radulov. Svechnikov, Mantha, Kase
    D Karlsson, Letang, Petry, Girard, DeAngelo
    G Grubauer, Dubnyk
    BN Talbot, McElhinney, Merzlikins, Elliott, Ullmark, Francouz

I was drafting from the #12 which is one of the worst spots to draft as far as I am concerned. It caused me to miss on several players like Meier or forced me to take players earlier than I'd might have needed like Letang/Svechnikov/Karlsson/Hall when the current pick was earlier than probably needed and the next pick(s) would have been too late. This effect lessens once you get to the later picks so once the draft gets past the halfway mark so I mostly got players I wanted in the later rounds.

1. (12) Taylor Hall (NJ - LW)
    2. (13) Erik Karlsson (SJ - D)

Pre-draft plan was to take Vasilevski or Bob if available and skater with the other pick. Unfortunately the most likely scenario was that I'd be left to pick 2 from skaters I'd ranked around 10-14 and that's pretty much what happened as Vasi and Bob went early and Burns just before me as well. I was pretty much left with 5 very similarly ranked skaters in 10-15 range in Eichel, Stamkos, Seguin, Hall, Karlsson and Hedman and at least one of them if not all of them would have likely been available with mid-2nd round pick as well. Eichel was the only player that I thought might drop to my next picks so left him out and also didn't want C at this point so picked W+D in Hall and Karlsson.

3. (36) Kris Letang (Pit - D)
    4. (37) Philipp Grubauer (Col - G)

Only 6 goalies had gone so I knew if I wanted Top10 G in my rankings, I had to take one now as it was likely there would be some kind of goalie run before my next picks. Grubauer might be considered a reach as the 7th G off the board and him ranked similarly with several other goalies like Gibson(I actually would rank him #1 G in the NHL if you asked me, but I don't like picking good goalies on bad/mediocre teams), Hellebuyck(very concerned about WPG being actually that good anymore with the decimated defense), Binnington(I really like STL, but don't want to rely on someone with that low sample size of NHL games) and Murray, but just liked Grubauer more than the other options. 2nd pick was between Rantanen, Meier, Carlson and Letang and ended up going with D. Once again probably earlier pick for Letang than in most drafts, but it would be very unlikely any of them would last to my next picks so not much you can do. I really do like Meier as well, but 36 was little too early and 60 very likely too late to get him, he went from late 40s to mid-50s in my other earlier drafts so not really anything you can do from this position.

5. (60) Devan Dubnyk (Min - G)
    6. (61) Dylan Larkin (Det - C)

I wanted to get a 2nd goalie and the decision was between Dubnyk and Jones and ended up Dubnyk as the more reliable if mediocre option, but MIN has an excellent defensive team which should be enough to carry even a replacement level goalie to decent numbers and I think Dubnyk isn't much better than that and didn't want to risk Jones to blow up my GAA either. The goalie plan was to fill out with hopefully at least one of Saros/Halak, maybe pickup Schneider if he's available at good spot and then some mix of DeSmith/McElhinney/Allen/Elliott/etc. with late picks. The second pick was between Larkin, M.Tkachuk, Subban, Dumba, Hamilton and Krug. I though one of the D might be available with my next picks and decided to get C as my teams usually end up winger so heavy so after the first few rounds I nearly always go C when there's good option to counter my D/W-heavy drafting tendencies.

7. (84) Alexander Radulov (Dal - RW)
    8. (85) Andrei Svechnikov (Car - LW,RW)

Unfortunately all 5 Ds I was eyeing went and the next best D in Yandle was too lowly ranked in my list so back to the next best skaters in my list in Svechnikov, Monahan and Radulov. I am really high on Svechnikov and didn't want to risk not getting him. He might have dropped to my next picks though as he usually was available in early around 95-105, but my next pick in 108 was little too risky for me. Going Monahan instead of Svechnikov would probably have been better idea as my C ended up little light and I ended up filling my wings little too soon in the draft as well. I was also keeping eye on next best goalies in my list in Raanta and Mrazek, if they dropped to my next picks I would take one of them.

9. (108) Brady Tkachuk (Ott - LW)
    10. (109) Jeff Skinner (Buf - C,LW)

I had multiple players ranked similarly available here with B.Tkachuk slightly ahead. I needed hits anyway so took him first although he might be +/- risk, but I am not too worried that. The second pick was between O'Reilly, Skinner, Niederreiter, Mantha and Atkinson. I thought Mantha and Niederreiter were most likely to drop to my next picks so skipped them. Ended up with Skinner although O'Reilly would probably have been a better option looking at it post-draft.

11. (132) Anthony Mantha (Det - LW,RW)
    12. (133) Cam Atkinson (Cls - RW)

Mantha and Atkinson were left of previous targets so I picked both of them up. This meant I had 7 wingers already on my team though and only 1C and 2D in the roster so little more unbalanced than I'd prefer and I had to pass on some wingers later in the draft so wasn't the best situation to be in. I did think about maybe going Kadri, but Mantha and Atkinson were both ranked well ahead of him so decided not to even with light C on the roster. I did also think about getting one of Saros/Halak and maybe Schneider too, but thought I'd get one of them with my next pick.

13. (156) Bo Horvat (Van - C)
    14. (157) Jeff Petry (Mon - D)

I am pretty unhappy about missing on both Saros and Halak as I think that quality backups that can post good numbers on per-game basis are pretty undervalued in rotisserie leagues with max GP limitations (not so much in most H2H leagues though) and I always like to pick up players like this on nearly all of my teams. I had Saros/Halak/DeSmith/McElhinney targeted in pretty much in every draft this season. Schneider also went so that was also out of the question. I really needed both C and D at this point so went with best ranked C and D in my list in Horvat and Petry. I had Kase ranked higher (I am really high on Kase and tried to pick him up in pretty much every league this season), but I was pretty sure he would be available with my next picks or even R17 possibly if I want to risk it.

15. (180) Ondrej Kase (Anh - RW)
    16. (181) Ryan Getzlaf (Anh - C)

I was considering taking McElhinney here, but he went pretty late on not at all in my other earlier drafts so decided to wait on him to my next picks as C was getting pretty thin. I had 2C and 3D so was looking at both of those positions. My next best ranked D were Hronek, Gudas, Chychrun and Girard and I was pretty sure I could get at least one of them with my next picks if not all of them so decided to wait on D. I already had 7 wingers and picking up Kase would fill those out, but I had ranked Kase inside my Top100 so at this point I felt I kind of had to, just too good value to pass up. The other pick was between Getzlaf and Johansen and it was pretty close decision, but decided to go with Getzlaf in the end.

17. (204) Cam Talbot (Cgy - G)
    18. (205) Curtis McElhinney (TB - G)

I didn't want to risk out on losing McElhinney anymore so went with him. Best ranked player available was DeBrusk, but I had 8 wings already so felt had to pass on him. I would have picked Hronek, but he went just before and decided to wait on other D I was looking at in Chychrun, Gudas, Girard and DeAngelo. E.Staal was available at C and did think about it, but Stepan was also still and likely available later so decided to wait on the 4th C slot as I can probably fill it out from FA is necessary too. I took a look on the goalie availability and there were some possibly solid goalies still available so decided to take a chance on Talbot. There were also some other options like Allen, Merzlikins, Elliott, Campbell, Francouz(Grubauer handcuff) and Ullmark who I wouldn't mind taking a chance on so placed all of them in my shortlist.

19. (228) Samuel Girard (Col - D)
    20. (229) Elvis Merzlikins (Cls - G)

E.Staal and I could probably wait on Stepan little more so picked up another G longshot in Merzlikins. Gudas went so decided to pick D and went with Girard as I mostlly needed PPP and scoring in general.

21. (252) Derek Stepan (Ari - C)
    22. (253) Tony DeAngelo (NYR - D)

Stepan was still there so decided it was about time to pick him up to get 4th C on the board. I still needed to draft two more D if I didn't want to start with shorthanded on D. I wanted Chychrun, but he went so picked up DeAngelo in another player I am pretty high on. He's had his fair share of issues and have got healthy scratched at times, but he produces good across-the-board numbers when he plays and him getting on the NYR 1st PP unit isn't necessarily out of question either as Trouba isn't some surefire 1st PP unit D even if he very likely starts there.

23. (276) Brian Elliott (Phi - G)
    24. (277) Linus Ullmark (Buf - G)
    25. (300) Pavel Francouz (Col - G)

Filled out the roster with some shots at goalies. I was considering some other players like Cody Glass, Dominik Kubalik or even Shestyorkin(however it's spelled), but decided to pick up goalies since they were available. All in all draft went decently. I am not that satisfied with the draft with some questionable decision-making with some picks and missing out on some players I really liked like Meier partially due to draft position, but the team should still be pretty competitive and might have some additional trade capital if some of the late goalie picks work out.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My team was completely autodrafted. (Effin @yahoo email notification address)
    That is my team review.
    #FAABgrindingfor9th

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My team was completely autodrafted. (Effin @yahoo email notification address)
    That is my team review.
    #FAABgrindingfor9th
    That may be your shortest post ever.
    Was looking forward to some insight on your team or even just a general review of how you would topple the rest of us!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I remember thinking, "Did Temek just take Horvat?" After three drafts and the RHRS list, I feel like I could draft your team for you. I agree about 12th. I like the middle but otherwise earlier is better. Everyone thinks about getting an early guy in round two but starting every odd round is an advantage as well.

I also expected FAAB carnage on Pengwin7's team Sunday night but I guess there's not much there. Yahoo!'s rankings have improved and I'm not sure it's the worst team ever. Almost everyone out preformed their draft slot last year. PPP might be light. Hits seem decent.

Dobber Sports Titan

Well, DeSmith getting put on waivers is interesting. Hoping he gets claimed elsewhere!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Is he better than anyone else's starter? I had heard rumours of him moving and thought a late pick might net a starter.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by duntroon68 View Post
    Is he better than anyone else's starter? I had heard rumours of him moving and thought a late pick might net a starter.
    Edmonton, Ottawa, or Columbus maybe. Might also not be a bad pick up for Detroit, Florida, or Minnesota.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thanks for your draft recaps guys. Really helps me with my draft tonight. Interesting to read your strategies.

I have the same spot as temek for the draft and I also haven't been able to grab Meier (who I also really like) in any of my mocks. And I agree that it's tougher in the early rounds to target the players you like but it gets easier as the draft goes on.

Hoping to join you guys for next year's draft!