Thread: First Time Poster/First Time Playing a Cap League Looking For Advise

Dobber Sports Rookie

Question First Time Poster/First Time Playing a Cap League Looking For Advise

Have been browsing around and looks like this is one of the best forums out there. I have some questions regarding a league I just joined with co workers.

1st time playing in an auction style hockey league. Played plenty of auctions in football so I have an idea, but havent played fantasy hockey in about 10 years.

Here's the rules breakdown.

Setup:
    14 Teams
    $100 Budget
    18-man rosters (2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 4D, 2G, 2U, 4B with 2IR+)
    H2H Points league
    Skaters [G=4 A=3 PPP=2 SHP=2 HIT=0.5 BLK=0.5 PIM=-0.3 S=0.3]
    Goalies [GS=1 W=5 SA=-0.8 SV=1 SO=2]

Basically looking for any advise on % to spend on players, can't find much information on anywhere on prices of players for example do I spend say 30% my budget on a stud like Mcdavid? Based on the scoring system do I go goalie heavy?

General strategy advise anything is appreciated as I said this is 10 years since I was playing.

One thing I was thinking of is budgeting $1 each for my 4 bench spots and Bottom 2 D spots. Should I take this further and just spend on say one D?

If I go say 60% my cap on a stud F,D and G then just $1-$5 on everyone else?

As mention my first time playing but based on the prices I see guys going on yahoo for $200 cap it's going to be a tight crunch given our rules.

Any help appreciated.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: First Time Poster/First Time Playing a Cap League Looking For Advise

Try this thread to start:
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...Draft-Strategy

With a goalie setup like that, definitely make sure you get two actual starters (hopefully top 20 kind of guys), which will likely cost you ~15-20 each (if goalies are cheaper, stock up on 3 or 4). After that, I would expect you can fill out about four starting roster spots, and your entire bench with $1 each. So we'll call that 35+8=$43 spent with eight more spots to fill ($7 ea). I expect the breakdown to be closer to 16, 12, 10, 9, 3, 3, 3, 1.

Bottom line is: Don't spend $15 on a player unless you have to have them. With this kind of tight money allotment, there will be tons of bargains.

Also, is this a cap league for the full season, or do you just have the initial auction budget?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: First Time Poster/First Time Playing a Cap League Looking For Advise

And welcome!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Try this thread to start:
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...Draft-Strategy

With a goalie setup like that, definitely make sure you get two actual starters (hopefully top 20 kind of guys), which will likely cost you ~15-20 each (if goalies are cheaper, stock up on 3 or 4). After that, I would expect you can fill out about four starting roster spots, and your entire bench with $1 each. So we'll call that 35+8=$43 spent with eight more spots to fill ($7 ea). I expect the breakdown to be closer to 16, 12, 10, 9, 3, 3, 3, 1.

Bottom line is: Don't spend $15 on a player unless you have to have them. With this kind of tight money allotment, there will be tons of bargains.

Also, is this a cap league for the full season, or do you just have the initial auction budget?
    Thank you for the reply, exactly what I was looking for.

I think it's the initial budget for the auction. Just read the rules doesnt say anything about a cap just $100 for the auctions.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by griffin6687 View Post
    Thank you for the reply, exactly what I was looking for.

I think it's the initial budget for the auction. Just read the rules doesnt say anything about a cap just $100 for the auctions.
    Makes more sense. And good to know as that would definitely change the strategy.