Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Laine not pleased with his setup in the Peg

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Laine not pleased with his setup in the Peg

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. As an Ovi owner for 12 years, I can say there were seasons / off-seasons where he was absolutely ripped on these boards and in the media for being a greater liability to his team, even despite what he brought in goals. He was frequently labelled a one trick pony (or Russian machine) who's only value was firing off one timers on the PP from the top of the circle. I can't tell you how many times I read he was "one dimensional", "lazy" and "you can't teach him or he doesn't want to do the things he needs to do to become a complete player". Most of those narratives ended once he finally had a coach who actually resonated with him.

I'm not saying Laine isn't at fault or doesn't need improvement. But the poster earlier who said that Maurice isn't helping the situation is dead on that coaching is a big part of this problem.
    I remember those years very well also, despite the obvious holes in his game he was still one of the most uniquely dangerous players the NHL has ever had from his very first game. In addition to the hacks though he was also often referred to like a bull in a china shop due to the intensity he also played with as well. I say this despite never having the privilege to have him on my team so I don’t exactly feel biased there.

Coaching effects do matter, Ovi and the rest of his team had struggles at the end of Boudreaus term along with the Hunter/Oates era. Crosby and his whole team struggled under Johnston and Kessel plus his whole team struggled under Horachek. In those cases the entire team was suffering. It makes me wonder why a decent amount of players thrive under Maurice in Winnipeg but Laine isnt? Attitude seems to be the biggest reason and it seems like a toxic situation when all the other guys in top roles seem to be working their asses off for those opportunities as opposed to coming across as entitled to the opportunity.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. As an Ovi owner for 12 years, I can say there were seasons / off-seasons where he was absolutely ripped on these boards and in the media for being a greater liability to his team, even despite what he brought in goals. He was frequently labelled a one trick pony (or Russian machine) who's only value was firing off one timers on the PP from the top of the circle. I can't tell you how many times I read he was "one dimensional", "lazy" and "you can't teach him or he doesn't want to do the things he needs to do to become a complete player". Most of those narratives ended once he finally had a coach who actually resonated with him.

I'm not saying Laine isn't at fault or doesn't need improvement. But the poster earlier who said that Maurice isn't helping the situation is dead on that coaching is a big part of this problem.

I talked about exactly this earlier this year over on the Winnipeg Jets thread. In my opinion Maurice is not a good coach and he’s holding this team back. He’s not set up for the modern NHL.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Jedi

The mass exodus on D can't be making Laine feeling better about what he gets to come back to either. Regardless of line.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I can’t help but being a little dismayed but the mess the Jets are in. I like this team and I love the city and it’s fans. It’s hard not to love how passionate and smart this town is about it’s team. I want them to do well and have been so happy to see the NHL back in Winnipeg where it belongs. Here’s hoping they get this together soon.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch