Thread: Jake Virtanen fails physical

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Jake Virtanen fails physical

It doesn't seem to be a major deal but man this kid can't get out of his own way. I am still hopeful he turns into a 20/20 kind of player with grit but...
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Jake Virtanen fails physical

The subject of this forum is not true. Jake Virtanen did not achieve the goals that his coach Travis Green set out for him at the end of last season but he did not fail his physical. If Virtanen failed the physical, he would not be able to take part in training camp. Virtanen spent day 1 of training camp in the 3rd group of Canucks which was composed of all the players who are all but guaranteed to not make the team. Virtanen was back in group one on day 2 of camp.

I would not read too much into this nor should it affect any projections you had for Jake Virtanen this season.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The subject of this forum is not true. Jake Virtanen did not achieve the goals that his coach Travis Green set out for him at the end of last season but he did not fail his physical. If Virtanen failed the physical, he would not be able to take part in training camp. Virtanen spent day 1 of training camp in the 3rd group of Canucks which was composed of all the players who are all but guaranteed to not make the team. Virtanen was back in group one on day 2 of camp.

I would not read too much into this nor should it affect any projections you had for Jake Virtanen this season.
    ^^^^

Dobber Sports Guru

The confusion is probably because of headlines like this: "Canucks camp notes: Virtanen in doghouse after flunking physical"

Then other sites, such as the Hockey Writers, pick up on this and write things such as "Virtanen once again failed to pass his physical."

I can't imagine what sports talk radio in Vancouver is like when talking about this, but it's easy to see how there could be some confusion over whether he failed his physical or not.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Icon

Jake Virtanen is scheduled to be in the lineup for the Canucks vs Flames split squad game in Calgary tonight. That clearly means that he did not fail the physical.

I don't have time to comment on headline writers making stuff up to try and sell ads.

Administrator

Scored the winning goal tonight

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    The confusion is probably because of headlines like this: "Canucks camp notes: Virtanen in doghouse after flunking physical"

Then other sites, such as the Hockey Writers, pick up on this and write things such as "Virtanen once again failed to pass his physical."

I can't imagine what sports talk radio in Vancouver is like when talking about this, but it's easy to see how there could be some confusion over whether he failed his physical or not.
    Yes, very much click-bait headlines. Didn't read those ones but I remember this article from Sportsnet a few days ago.

Green challenged him to step up his training and both agreed that failure to meet certain goals would result in a little bit of public shaming for motivation.

“Jake and I have had lots of conversations over the years,” Green told reporters before Virtanen practised in the final group. “There are certain expectations he wanted to reach and I wanted him to reach, and we both agreed that there were goals that had to be met, and if he didn’t reach them he probably wouldn’t be with the first two groups on the first day of camp. I’m not going to get into it any more than that.”
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-canucks-camp/
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Out of shape maybe? The guy was listed as 226lbs last year. Btw he scored 2 goals against Calgary last night.
    Devils & Predators fan