Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hit on Goalie Playing Puck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Hit on Goalie Playing Puck

Wow!! This is crazy.

Saskatchewan Junior Hockey Leauge Game

During Saturday's game between the Melville Millionaires and Yorkton Terriers, Greg Mulhall of the Terriers hit Melville goaltender Berk Berkliev, leaving Berkliev on the ice.Mulhall received a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure. He will be receiving supplementary discipline as well, as the CJHL guidelines indicate a match penalty will result in a minimum five-game suspension. The disciplinary panel of the SJHL may choose to add to this. There is no word at this time as to the condition of Berkliev. The Millionaires posted to their twitter account a photo of his jersey on the logo in the dressing room, and many other teams are sending their thoughts and prayers.This is the type of play which sullies the sport of hockey. Leagues at all levels have been trying to remove this sort of play for years. Watching a teenaged goaltender be knocked unconscious is something which we should never see in this sport.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Hit on Goalie Playing Puck

I'm not going to lie...I've never understood really why if a goalie leaves the crease, you can't hit him. I know the idea is they have to protect them because there's so few elite ones. But like...it's pretty frustrating when you play and a goalie is using the rule where you can't hit him to protect and hold the puck.

They turned goalie protection rule into the NFL' style rules with the QB.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I'm not going to lie...I've never understood really why if a goalie leaves the crease, you can't hit him. I know the idea is they have to protect them because there's so few elite ones. But like...it's pretty frustrating when you play and a goalie is using the rule where you can't hit him to protect and hold the puck.

I agree with you, the only problem with this video is the way that the player hit the goalie : Hit to the head
    But yes, why we can't hit the goalie if he can control the puck
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    I agree with you, the only problem with this video is the way that the player hit the goalie : Hit to the head
    But yes, why we can't hit the goalie is he can control the puck
    Oh ya, the physical hit was pretty dirty.

The Great One

I agree that this hit is high and to the head and so doesn’t really get into the whole “goalies should be legal to be body checked playing the puck out of the crease” topic. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some motivation for this hit in this game...the goalie was getting under someone’s skin. I’ve played against a number of goalies over the years who, if they presented me with this opportunity, I’d have done the exact same thing. If you’re going to play like a complete douche you better pay attention if you come out to play the puck. Protection of the goalie only goes so far.

As far as goalies being protected from hits - I completely agree that they should be protected from hits while playing the puck. If the goalie has the puck on his stick it’s easy to disposses him - he has a goalie stick and a catching glove on one hand. Take the puck and score. If he’s just cleared it or passed it don’t hit him. Goalies are important like quarterbacks and that’s valid. Also and more importantly, goalies don’t wear pads that protect them for hits, they wear pads that protect them from pucks. And the leg pads greatly increase the likelihood of leg injuries if they are body checked. It’s an aspect of the game that is long standing and part of a respect for the sport and the position. It’s the right way to do things. Again, unless you abuse the protection the position affords and play like a complete a-hole. Then you get what you deserve.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I agree that this hit is high and to the head and so doesn’t really get into the whole “goalies should be legal to be body checked playing the puck out of the crease” topic. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some motivation for this hit in this game...the goalie was getting under someone’s skin. I’ve played against a number of goalies over the years who, if they presented me with this opportunity, I’d have done the exact same thing. If you’re going to play like a complete douche you better pay attention if you come out to play the puck. Protection of the goalie only goes so far.

As far as goalies being protected from hits - I completely agree that they should be protected from hits while playing the puck. If the goalie has the puck on his stick it’s easy to disposses him - he has a goalie stick and a catching glove on one hand. Take the puck and score. If he’s just cleared it or passed it don’t hit him. Goalies are important like quarterbacks and that’s valid. Also and more importantly, goalies don’t wear pads that protect them for hits, they wear pads that protect them from pucks. And the leg pads greatly increase the likelihood of leg injuries if they are body checked. It’s an aspect of the game that is long standing and part of a respect for the sport and the position. It’s the right way to do things. Again, unless you abuse the protection the position affords and play like a complete a-hole. Then you get what you deserve.
    I totally understand your argument here. But if we want to compare the situation with QB in football, I would say that if the QB have the ball, he can be hit.. so why not the goalie?
    But anyway it's a complete different sport so my comparaison isn't legit
    My opinion would be that if you want to go out or your crease with the puck, you're an extra player and it's at your own risk.
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,

Lundkvist

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    I totally understand your argument here. But if we want to compare the situation with QB in football, I would say that if the QB have the ball, he can be hit.. so why not the goalie?
    I explained why in the next couple of sentences. In football the QB is an important more individual position, but in football the QB is wearing the same protective equipment as everyone else. And the QB is the center of the offense using his dexterity to advance the offense. A goalie is wearing different gear which makes him clumsier and more vulnerable to injury - unlike football. It’s so easy to just take the puck away. Score a goal while he’s out wandering around. That’s the best course of action. You don’t need to hit him to do that. If you hit him you’re wasting time and not helping your team win the game really - which is the point. If you hit the QB when he has the ball you are helping your team win the game. Big difference.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Okay I see your point here
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Grand Master

QBs wear different pads than other players. So do kickers.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    QBs wear different pads than other players. So do kickers.
    I did not know this? Do they do this by choice and to what benefit?

And I don't think it is as extreme of difference as a forward and a goalie...

It isn't, and to have lest restrictions on your shoulders. The general shape is the same, they're just smaller/lighter. It's why often you'll hear of QBs wearing extra kidney protection or kevlar vests, because their normal pads don't provide the same level of protection as other players have.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I did not know this? Do they do this by choice and to what benefit?

And I don't think it is as extreme of difference as a forward and a goalie...
    Mostly for freedom of movement, like rataylor said. There are pads that can be worn that often aren't anymore, such as thigh pads, and the like.

With kickers, it's much more about freedom of lower leg movement. The higher pads don't really do much to alter your kick, but for punters they your catching of the snap. I have a few friends who have soccer playing kids that explored football kicking, and they were surprised how little extra protection there was in certain areas compared to soccer equipment. You do see some guys wearing more normal or fuller gear, especially in college, where you get "chunkier" kickers.

Back when I kicked, I was much more protected, but being a lineman who also kicked, that was sort of expected.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

For the hit itself, I'd be handing out the choice of a lifetime league ban or taking crosschecks to head into the boards repeatedly - offending players choice.

He's not the worst offender, though. I'm trying to remember the absolute piece of trash the Flyers had for a while who did this bad to a teammate in practice, but can't.

Edit: I finally did: Steve Downie.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Goalies choose to wear the equipment they do. When playing the puck was more relevant in the NHL for goalies, the glove was made with the thought of gripping a stick more. The pads weren't as wide to promote skating. The blades were even sharpened differently.

The equipment to goalies has evolved because they aren't in need to move around the ice quickly, and playing the puck has diminished. I personally think if a player can't go in the crease because that's the "goalies area", then why can a goalie go into the "players area" and get special treatment? It's all choice in my eyes when a goalie comes out to play it.

I 100% understand the rules behind not allowing players to hit goalies. 100% understand it. The difference between an Andersen and Hutchinson is huge. But the physical idea is just odd to me. But I know they'll never allow hitting goalies.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

I've been saying this for years, and I am a goalie myself.

The crease is their safe zone. Once they leave that safe zone, they should be fair game as well. That hit was nasty though, whether it was on a goalie or a skater.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."