Thread: Who to draft

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Who to draft

Hi all,

With team in sig wondering who you'd want to draft in rounds 2-4 (I have picks 8, 15, 20, 22 and 27)? What position should I look to upgrade first? I have the lowest protected salary keepers (under $41M while most are 50+) and think I have a good chance of winning this year if I draft well.

Here are some players I find interesting for different reasons (salary, production, term etc) available at draft :

Zibanejad $5,3 (3 years left)
    Hertl $5,625 (3)
    Dadanov $4 (1)
    Mantha $3,3 (1)
    Meier $6 (3)
    Debrusk $1,28 (1)
    Gusev $4,5 (2)
    Backstrom $6,7 (1)
    Marchessault $5 (5)

Morrissey $3,15 (1)
    Ekholm $3,75 (3)
    Nurse $3,2 (1)
    Hronek $0,9... (2)
    Girard $0,9... (1)
    Pulock $2 (1)
    Dumba $6 (4)
    Werenski $5 (3)
    Theodore $5,2 (6)

Thanks!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Who to draft

I like Meier, Hertl, Mantha, DeBrusk, and Marchessault the most among the forwards for value. Some of those are on longer contracts, and those can give you more future flexibility. Unsure how many could crack your keepers, but it's quite possible Labanc gets paid, meanign his value makes him less desirable as a keeper.

I like Hronek, Girard, as cheap D who will score pretty well. Most of the rest of the D are also interesting, depends on how you manage the cap. I'm unsure if any of those guys become keepers for you, but maybe Hronek if he does really well on his ELC for one more year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I like Meier, Hertl, Mantha, DeBrusk, and Marchessault the most among the forwards for value. Some of those are on longer contracts, and those can give you more future flexibility. Unsure how many could crack your keepers, but it's quite possible Labanc gets paid, meanign his value makes him less desirable as a keeper.

I like Hronek, Girard, as cheap D who will score pretty well. Most of the rest of the D are also interesting, depends on how you manage the cap. I'm unsure if any of those guys become keepers for you, but maybe Hronek if he does really well on his ELC for one more year.
    I agree with that while adding Zibs and Pulock. The defence will also clear out faster so I would focus an early pick or two there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah as EB mentions I'm guessing defence will clear out pretty fast since 6 out of 7 GMs decided to protect a 7th forward instead of a 4th defenceman.

I've been hesitating mostly between Hronek (love he has 2 years ELC left), Mantha (great possible value but this season only) and Zibanejad/Hertl (Great deal for 3 years) as my 2nd round pick (if available). Always good to have opinion of the dobber nation in case I'm way off.

Would picking either Hronek or Girard in the second round be a good move? Very low $$$ so still leaves me quite ahead of others in cap room left. Mantha ended the season on a pretty high note and if that continues I'm guessing he gets near 70 pts and at that salary, albeit 1 season, that's pretty darn good. Zib and Hertl I see as safer production wise.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Yeah as EB mentions I'm guessing defence will clear out pretty fast since 6 out of 7 GMs decided to protect a 7th forward instead of a 4th defenceman.

I've been hesitating mostly between Hronek (love he has 2 years ELC left), Mantha (great possible value but this season only) and Zibanejad/Hertl (Great deal for 3 years) as my 2nd round pick (if available). Always good to have opinion of the dobber nation in case I'm way off.

Would picking either Hronek or Girard in the second round be a good move? Very low $$$ so still leaves me quite ahead of others in cap room left. Mantha ended the season on a pretty high note and if that continues I'm guessing he gets near 70 pts and at that salary, albeit 1 season, that's pretty darn good. Zib and Hertl I see as safer production wise.
    Hronek in the second would be amazing, I think.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Hronek in the second would be amazing, I think.
    I'll second that one.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Here's how my draft went. Please let me know what you think.

round 1) J. Hughes
    2) Hronek
    3) Mantha/Matt Murray
    4) Carlson/Backstrom
    5) McDavid (short story...know your league)
    6) Devon Toews
    9) Gusev
    11) Texier
    12) Boqvist/Theodore
    13) Hayton
    14) Buchnevich
    15) Merzlikins

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The players I value as forwards on the list are as follows: Zibanejad, Backstrom, DeBrusk, Meier, Marchessault, Gusev, and Mantha.

For the Defense I like: Hronek, Pulock, Girard, Morrissey, Dumba, Werenski, and Nurse.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eleasha View Post
    The players I value as forwards on the list are as follows: Zibanejad, Backstrom, DeBrusk, Meier, Marchessault, Gusev, and Mantha.

For the Defense I like: Hronek, Pulock, Girard, Morrissey, Dumba, Werenski, and Nurse.
    Posted my draft results just above. In your list was able to grab Backstrom, Gusev , Mantha and Hronek.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Posted my draft results just above. In your list was able to grab Backstrom, Gusev , Mantha and Hronek.
    You did extremely well. Love Carlson and well McDavid in the 5th Round Wow. I have been saying this since I have joined, but Texier is going to surprise many this season. Great pick.
    MD Rink Rats( 14 Team Keeper H2H Yahoo League)
    ​G,A,PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK/ W, GAA, SV%, SHO

D: K. Yandle- Fla, J. Muzzin- Tor, S. Gostisbehere- Phi, R. Pulock-NYI, S. Girard- Col, T.J. Brodie- Cgy, B. Pesce- Car
    C: T. Seguin- Dal, M. Scheifele- Wpg, E. Pettersson- Van, D. Larkin- Det, D. Stepan- Ari
    RW: V. Tarasenko- Stl, P. Kessel- Ari, S. Reinhart- Buf(C), E. Lindhom- Cgy(C), T. Toffoli-LA, B. Connolly- Fla(LW), D. Kahun-Pit(LW)
    LW: T. Hall- NJ, A. DeBrincat- Chi(RW), J. Skinner- Buf(C), T. Tatar- Mon(RW), A. Iafallo- LA, J. Dickinson- Dal(C)
    G: S. Varlamov- NYI, J. Howard- Det, M. Smith- Edm, J. Saros- Nas, P. Francouz-Col

Always good to be among the leaders in money left at an auction or cap draft table. Nice work.