Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2019/20 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: 2019/20 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Round 11
    My Pick (131) – Once Schneider went, I knew I had to grab my 4th goalie and went with Crawford. Was injury prone last year, but his splits still astound me. 8-6-4, 2.54 GAA and .921 SP at home vs. 6-12-1, 3.32 and .896 on the road. So as a 4th goalie, I could lean more in streaming him just for home starts… Big Buff going in this round is a good roll of the dice, Gabe already had Yandle and Klingberg as his #1/2, so gambling on Buff as his #3 is probably a good risk/reward type move.

Round 12
    My Pick (156) – I was hoping to land Quick with this pick, but he went 4 picks before mine and was also pondering Ekblad, but he was sniped the pick before mine, which led me to focus back on the RW/LW positions with my next 2 picks… Ended up with Keller who had a bit of a down sophomore year last year. Should get back towards the upper 50s or lower 60s along with 200+ SOG. Also with Kessel it should help the Yotes PP. I really liked the Getzlaf pick at #150, I don’t know if the Ducks will be all that successful this season, but he’s a #1 C who can pick up 60+ points and a decent peripheral production in HITs/BS and decent FW. Great value pick.

Round 13
    My Pick (157) – I’ve watched/read a lot of hype videos/columns about Kyle Connor, so I thought I’d roll the dice on him. Once again not a lot of peripheral production, but if he can maintain his mid-60 point production and 220+ SOG, I think I’d be ecstatic. I did debate about Boeser with the last 2 picks, and Russ snagged him at 165. Edler is also great value production wise at 162 might have been a stretch, but I don’t think he would have lasted much longer if Rinks didn’t take him at this spot…

Round 14
    My Pick (182) – I was flipping through the Yahoo projected standings, and saw I needed the help in point production and specifically PPP, so took the BPA in Barzal. The lack of FW will hurt, but with Stamkos and Backstrom as my #1/2, I wasn’t going to run away with FW any way… I also secretly hope that he gets winger eligibility which might give him a ton more value… Brown went very early to Gaudreau at 178 and I thought he would go much later… JVR at 176 is also a big steal.

Round 15
    My Pick (183) – I owned Oshie last year and was fine with his production. Mid 50s with 100+ hits and 140+ SOG. This late in the draft is pretty much roll of the dice really… I did eye Miller at this pick, but went with who I trusted instead… Kings grabbing him at 188 is a steal.

Round 16
    My Pick (208) – Heading into the draft I was after 5 if not 6 goalies, I didn’t think I would struggle to get the ones that I wanted to be honest, but that’s how the chips fell. Landed Khudobin, who is a nice handcuff to Bishop… If they play a similar timeshare situation and he maintains similar stats 2.57 GAA and .923 SP I think I would be lucky to have him as my spot start fifth goalie… at this point really it was only Howard and Anderson who were left as pure #1 goalies and I didn’t trust any of them… A couple of good snags in this round too, Simmonds was one that I had pegged and thought he would last 1 more round, but didn’t. Russ got him at very discounted 200th pick… The trip of Stepan, Krejci and Stastny are great value Cs this late into the draft.

Round 17
    My Pick (209) – Continued with the hype trend, read/watched lots on Kase and how he’s ready for a top-line gig with Perry gone… Somebody has to score in Anaheim so he should get a good audition after an injury-plagued 2018-19. Some really nice steals in this round. Schwartz at 215 could be a massive steal if he can get back to 2016-18 numbers… Zucker is another player who’s been hyped up a bit.

Round 18
    My Pick (234) – My strategy of getting D early also failed miserably as I saw my earmarked late round steals fly off the board, so had to find some value picks here. Grabbed Erik Johnson, he’s always been a consistent 25+, 100 HITS/BS/SOG type of guy… with Barrie now gone, it’ll be interesting to see who runs the #1PP unit… I think Makar gets first dibs, but EJ should get some time if Makar struggles… Girard should also get a look, but worst case scenario is I settle for 25, 100/100/100… Low risk pick here… I was really hoping that Keith fell to me, but he went to Russ… my handcuff in Allen was also sniped and also Galchenyuk was one that was sitting in my draft queue… all could be great steals here.

Round 19
    My Pick (235) – I once again looked at the projected standings and saw the SOG and PPP points low… so I went with BPA in Carter. If he can get back towards the 2016-17 Carter where he posted 66 points along with 250 SOG and 22 PPP that would be awesome. That plus he picked up 600+ FW and 80ish hits over the last few years too, so there’s a bit of hidden value there at 235… Lots of hype on Gusev so Rick could have a gem on his hands at 245 if he pans out. Russ nailed another pick with Zuccarello at 243.

- - - Updated - - -

Round 20
    My Pick (260) – I had Drouin lined up in the queue, but had him disappear by the time it’s my pick. Really just looking to fill out my D at this point, had Schultz queued, but was gone so had to settle with Seabrook… Don’t know if the points will ever come back for him, but the 124 HITS/180 BS and 165 SOG is good peripheral coverage for my #4 D. At this point I might lose 10-15ish points compared to other #4 Ds around the league, but to get that production value in the peripherals is well worth it…

Round 21
    My Pick (261) - I did a little bit of research in terms of movement in the off-season and which new teammates would benefit, Panarin joined the Rangers and with Zibby up the middle there needs to be a player for the opposite wing. In steps Buchnevich who should, at worst, maintain a top 6 role… I really like the Coleman and Reilly Smith picks here, had both in my draft queue.

Round 22
    My Pick (286) – I checked the points projection and knew that I was in trouble with FW, so I went with a winger who might be able to steal a couple hundred FW, so went with Tyler Johnson… If he hovers around the 50 point mark with 170 SOG and 250 FW from the wing position, I think I would be a pretty happy chappy… I did consider Slavin here, but got sniped the pick before mine…

Round 23
    My Pick (287) – Just continuing to fill my D corps. Not much upside any more… so went with Green who was pretty much the only one left who still maintained a #1 PP slot… Still had plenty of point potential along with 100 HITs/100BS and 100 SOG potential when healthy* I really liked the Ceci pick at 298 and Fiala at 289… great value picks.

Round 24
    My Pick (312) – I had James Neal pegged here, but got sniped 2 picks before… Lots of good value picks here with Coyle, Comtois, Toffoli all going. I went with Leddy to fill out my blue-line, the #1 gig I think is still up for grabs… Leddy really struggled last year but still managed to get near the 100/100/100 mark… At this point its worth taking a flyer and I’ll just treat him as WW fodder if I see a good blue-liner start strong at the start of the season…

Round 25
    My Pick (313) – Nothing to really lose at this slot… decided to go with Perry. Low risk/high reward type of player. He’ll figure somewhere around Pavelski, Seguin, Benn and Radulov… so he’ll have decent line mates either way… I don’t know if there will be enough points to go around, but if he can get anywhere near 50 I’d be ecstatic. I had a few players queued up… did spend a few moments thinking about Lucic, Eberle and Palat, but passed…
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Expert

Overall I'm not at all comfortable with this draft... I didn't get the goalie depth that I wanted so that I can securely just cherry pick and stream my starts... I think I'm more going to be heavily leaning on Vas' starts more often than not... given his stats from previous years, it probably isn't a bad place to be in... Binnington I think will be the key piece to my season. If he maintains his 2018/19 numbers, I should have a very solid 1/2 combo where I wouldn't need to lean on Korp/Crawford/Khudobin at all which turns my team to a "traditional" fantasy team. Korpisalo could also surprise and run with the #1 gig, if he maximises this opportunity.

Offense wise I think I have a decent team which can compete, in the past I have really focussed on the peripherals and dropped the points categories... I think I have a more balanced team this year in points and a bit of peripherals, but with Kessel, Barzal, Keller and Connor, I think I will struggle with my peripherals. Of course there's always a sacrifice the #4 RW/LW position to snag a Reaves/Carrier just to pick up HITs or a #6 D and pick up a Jack Johnson/Hagg/Boro...

C - Stamkos, Backstrom, Barzal, Carter
    LW - Tkachuk, Keller, Connor, T. Johnson
    RW - Wilson, Kessel, Oshie, Kase, Buchnevich, Perry
    D- Karlson, Weber, E. Johnson, Seabrook, Green, Leddy
    G - Vasilevskiy, Binnington, Korpisalo, Crawford, Khudobin

As always, this league is competitive and will probably run down to the wire and final days of the season. Good luck all!
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh man, I have been so busy with my other leagues that I literally just finished printing out my draft list as the draft was starting. The ink was still wet.

Round 1 (9) - I owned the 9th pick, which as everyone knows, sucks. Every single player I hoped to fall to me was taken, including Burns at number 8. I deliberated between Marchand or one of three goalies, Bobrovsky, Bishop or Price. Because there were 3 goalies I could live with as my #1 and only one Marchand, I went with the bad boy.

Round 2 (18) - Luckily, only Bob was taken from the 3 goalies I wanted, so I had to decide between Bishop or Price. I used nearly all of my 130 seconds to choose Bishop. His numbers last year were truly amazing. The Stars are a better team this year, right? Here's hoping.

Round 3 (35) - I had hoped for a second goalie from Price, Fleury or Rask would fall, but nope. EK65, nope. Oft-injured multi-cat stud, Evgeni Malkin was staring me in the face. Awkward, but I had to draft him here. Also considered Guentzel and Carlson/Giordano.

Round 4 (44) - Of course, Guentzel, Carlson and Giordano were taken shortly after I took Malkin. Had a hard time deciding between Letang and Evander Kane. I'm a huge Letang fan, but got swayed by Kane's hits/pims to go with his points.

Round 5 (61) - Saw Gibson, Jones, Murray and Binnington come off the board, leaving me to take my 2nd goalie, Scooby Doobie Dubnyk.

Round 6 (70) - Really, really bummed that Scheifele was taken. Then my next two guys (O'Reilly, Zibanejad) I had queued up come off right in front of my pick. Went with an old favourite of mine in Trocheck.

Rounds 7 & 8 (87/96) - Kind of got scooped on a number of defensemen in several rounds, so needed to grab back to back defenders. Doughty, Weber, Klingberg, Hamilton, Dumba and Krug all come off the board since my last pick. Defenders are disappearing in record numbers from my draft list. Also disappointed Max Domi was taken, but sticking with my theme of multi-cat stuffers, I take two defenders who will give me more than just points, Ristolainen and Nurse.

Round 9 (113) - With Malkin and Trocheck at C, I still didn't have a FOW stuffer. Welcome Anze Kopitar.

Round 10 (122) - Talbot, Schneider and Rittich are taken, leaving me to solidify my goaltending numbers with the Isles Varlamov (work your magic Mitch Korn).

Round 11 (139) - Didn't have a RW yet, so of course the 3 guys I wanted are all taken (Voracek, Kessel, Teravainen), so I go with Dadonov. Not thrilled, but he did have 28 goals and 70 points last year. What can I say, I'm not easily impressed.

Round 12 (148) - Was hoping to snag Pacioretty and was thinking about Willy Nylander, but both were gone by my pick. Almost took Getzlaf, but I already had 3 C and only 2 D. Chose Muzzin over Suter, Ekblad, Petry and Provorov due to Muzzy's combination of plus/minus, hits and blocked shots to go along with 35-40 points. Multi-cat baby, multi-cat is where it's at.

Round 13 (165) - If one of those defensemen would have fallen to me, I would have taken him. Obviously, none of them did, so I zagged and took a chance with a concussed player in Brock Boeser. Only my 2nd RW, so I'm hoping he's back sooner rather than later.

Round 14 (174) - There weren't a lot of players I liked, so I went with another old favourite, William Karlsson VGK. His FOW along with his goal scoring potential made him my pick.

Round 15 (191) - Really wanted Ehlers, but he got snagged a few picks in front of mine. Zigged and went with another multi-cat defenseman, McDonagh. 40-45 point, plus-38, nearly 100 hits and 161 blocked shots. You NEED most of your defensemen to give you a decent amount of blocked shots.

Round 16 (200) - Filling out my RW with Simmonds, hoping he will rejuvenate that Devils PP. This isn't Martin Brodeur's Devils with Jack Hughes, P.K. Subban, Taylor Hall, Gusev and Hischier, they have some legitimate offensive talent.

Round 17 (217) - Probably my easiest pick, LW/RW eligible Tomas Tatar. I was weak on wings and 55-60 points is hard to pass up.

Round 18 (226) - Needed another D, so here's hoping Duncan Keith has another 40 point, 140-150 blocked shots season left in him.

Round 19 (243) - Would have taken Galchenyuk, but he be gone. Again looking at my sketchy RW, I go with an oldie but a goodie, everyone's favourite Norwegian, Mats Zuccarello. Under-rated with hits as well.

Round 20 (252) - Was really hoping to snag Gusev, but that wasn't meant to be. Ended up taking the boring LW/RW Yanni Gourde TB. Maybe he'll end up with a nice plus/minus.

Round 21 & 22 (269/278) - Adding to my back end, Tyler Myers and Brandon Montour (read that he's only out for a short bit).

Rounds 23, 24 & 25 (295/304/321) - Rounding out my bench, C/LW McCann PIT (hoping he can stick with Crosby/Guentzel), LW/RW Dzingel CAR (not sure where he fits in on new team, top 6 for sure?), LW Palat TB (another old favourite, underrated in hits and could give nice plus/minus).

Overall, I'm happy with how my team turned out, but think I might not have enough "talent" (meaning points), Face-off Wins and my goaltending needs a little luck (Bishop not to get hurt and Dubnyk/Wild being better or Varlamov learning from Korn).

Natural Born Quillers
    C-Malkin, Trocheck, Kopitar, W.Karlsson, McCann (L)
    LW-Marchand, E.Kane, Tatar (R), Gourde (R), Palat
    RW-Dadonov (L), Boeser, Simmonds, Zuccarello, Dzingel (L)
    D-Ristolainen, Nurse, Muzzin, McDonagh, Keith, Myers, Montour
    G-Bishop, Dubnyk, Varlamov
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

While looking back at the draft, I just noticed that Yzerman's Legacy (The D-amned) went Crosby, Goalie, Goalie, then 6 straight D (all excellent choices). Just wow! You beautiful bastard!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Haha thanks Comish! But if I'm being truthful, that was NOT strategy... but rather some rookie Auto-drafting errors that gave me a surprising top 9 picks lol.

To that end, because I didn't join live until Round 10, I won't go deep into justifying those rounds. But let's just say that while it was not at all what I was expecting to see upon arrival... it could have been much worse.

Round 1: Crosby. Picking at #7, I am pleased.

Rounds 2/3: F.Andersen/B.Holtby. Due to auto-drafting had to ensure my 2G spots were filled early. Hat tip to Horror Fan for his dobberforum tips on how to optimize an autodraft.

Rounds 4-9: Letang, Subban, Doughty, M.Dumba, Ghost, OEL. Getting 4 of these guys while sprinkling in some elite C/W would have been ideal. I admittedly misread the RHRS crew in thinking they'd be gone earlier, and therefore putting them higher on my (pre-set) draft board to ensure I didn't completely whiff on solid D.

Round 10: L.Couture. A big target of mine this year. Let's hope he produces value from that slot.

*This is where I joined in, and to be honest, it took me at least 3-4 rounds to even begin to assess what had happened to my own draft, much less what every one else was up to.

Round 11: N.Kadri. Decided I'm too far down the C/D/G path to try and pivot now. Kads was another highly ranked C. I also saw that there was still a TON of W-value out there (although soon to be decimated) so leaned into it even further.

Round 12: R.Getzlaf. Underrated imo. No he's not the Getz of 5 years ago, but he can deliver sneaky good value if healthy. That fills 4C, 6D, 2G slots. 0RW, 0LW. Not how I'd drew it up... but admittedly kind of intrigued to see how it plays out now.

Round 13: L.Ullmark. First "live" mistake. But in fairness, if you want any shot at hitting max gps at G, you need at least 3 "starters" if not 4... or go full Pengwin7 mode and stream, stream, stream whatever's on the wire. Also secretly a big fan of Ullmark. He's yet to put it all together... but each year I wonder if he might.

Rounds 14-18: JVR, N.Schmaltz, J.DeBrusk, J.Schwartz, Hornqvist. All 5 of these guys I felt were undervalued by prognosticators in our setup. Happy to land each of them... and if I'd been able to nab a couple of higher-end W's over D5/D6 - I would be THRILLED with my draft so far.

Round 19/20: M.Hutchinson/P.Copley. 2 points to be made here. 1st, if I'd known I'd have landed both backups to my starters, I'd have foregone L.Ullmark and had another solid W asset instead. There was also some W value to still be found in these rounds... so while I'm really comfortable with my Gs this year, I didn't really execute it optimally. Either go W early (no Ullmark) and risk missing on backups on Ullmark early and grab W's here. Didn't maximize this advantage.

Round 21: A.Tuch. Happy enough with him here both because I was desperate for RW and also because I felt like he fell (a little) further than he should have due to injury. Still lots of uncertainty being on L3, but at worst he's a guy I have fun watching play, and the 20's are rounds where it's rare you're keeping that guy all year on your roster anyways.

Rounds 22-25: N.Foligno, V.Olofsson, C.Dvorak, I.Kovalchuk. Fully just looking for a deep sleeper on the wing. Am really big on Foligno having a sneaky good year in our setup, and know I'm going to need some Goals... so Olofsson/Kovy are worthy dart-throws.

Team:

C: Crosby, Couture, Kadri, Getzlaf
    L: JVR, J.Schwartz, N.Schmaltz, N.Foligno
    R: Hornqvist, J.DeBrusk, A.Tuch, V.Olofsson
    D: Letang, Subban, Doughty, M.Dumba, Ghost, OEL
    G: F.Andersen, Holtby

BN: L.Ullmark, M.Hutchinson, P.Copley, C.Dvorak, I.Kovalchuk

Tl;dr:
    While obviously the autodraft didn't execute optimally for me, I'm actually really comfortable with my squad going in. YES I need to make a good trade or two to balance out, but my C, G & D are really solid, so it's a matter of complementing that with the right mix of W.
    I'm likely in the bottom 1/3 of the league post-draft, but I really like my assets, meaning that with a lucky waiver pick-up or two and a couple of D-for-W astute trades (which tend to be the easiest deals to make mid-season), I could theoretically cobble together a roster that could at the worst be a pain in the butt for those winning.

Excited for another RHRS season to get underway!!

YL
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The Wolverine

Well, that was an interesting draft last night! Guess it's my turn for a team recap - let's go!

With the #10th slot, there were plenty of ways I could go so I didn't have a fixed strategy, just had a rough plan depending on who became available and tried to adjust as a went along.

1. John Tavares - Wanted a solid offensive player here, and Tavares fits nicely. When getting centres, it's always worth trying to have them strong at faceoffs, and Tavares is up there with the best. Also, not many centres who are strong in goals, shots and FOW so happy with my first pick.

2. Blake Wheeler - Already at this point I was contemplating getting a first goalie. However, Wheeler continues to provide across the board production, both offensively and with the peripherals. Maybe he'll even chip in some FOW from the wing. There should be a few solid goalie options for my third pick.

3. Connor Hellebuyck - Looking at the goalies remaining they each have their own risks, so I'm hoping that Winnipeg's depleted D doesn't have as dramatic effect as many are predicting. They still have a strong offense so if Hellebuyck can potentially steal a few games, the wins will be there even if his GAA doesn't bounce back as much. I expect many shots to come his way so hoping for a stronger SV% as well.

4. John Carlson - Figuring that the D would start to be chosen more regularly between now and my next pick, I wanted a strong one here unless Benn slipped to me. As Shoeless nabbed him before my pick, I went with my highest ranked one available. Carlson fits the bill, strong offensively and with the must needed blocked shots.

5. Sebastian Aho - Was looking at Larkin here but temek got him two picks earlier. I couldn't pass on Aho though, as he could hit the next offensive level after a major breakthrough season last year. FOW aren't the strongest, but hopefully he'll be a bit better so he's not dragging that down too much.

6. Mika Zibanejad - Wanted Hertl here but Pengwin got him two picks after I chose Aho. Scrambled a bit as the picks before mine went through quickly and wasn't sure of any wingers or D that I wanted here, so grabbed a strong multiple category contributor in Zibanejad.

7. Jacob Trouba - The D were coming off the board and I knew I needed my second one soon. Trouba sitting there, let's grab another Ranger who should be PP1 and provides plenty of hits and blocks.

8. Andrei Svechnikov - Still needing a LW, I went with Svechnikov in the hopes of a big breakout this season. This may have been a bit of a reach but I wasn't confident he'd still be around at my next pick. Expecting 30+ goals, 200+ shots, decent PPP and 100+ hits this season. Might need that to justify this draft slot.

9/10. Cam Talbot / David Rittich - Right, I still only had one goalie and before the draft I was thinking that this pair could provide good value. The challenge - who's the starter, who should I pick first and when do I get the handcuff? YL mentioned is his recap on the league board that he didn't like my Talbot pick, until I got Rittich. Have to admit, I was worried someone was going to get Rittich before it came around to me again. I thought these rounds were appropriate given there were a few other starter/1A goalies available that might tempt others first. Lucky me, so hope it works out.

11/12. Viktor Arvidsson / William Nylander - Figured it was wingers or defensemen here, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get these guys, hoping one can finally improve his PP production (Arvidsson) and the other has a much anticipated rebound season (Nylander). Both light on the grit categories, but hoping the offense makes up for it.

13. Oscar Klefbom - Not sure about this pick here, but if he can finally take the PP reigns then this could be the season many were expecting from him recently. 40+ points, 200+ shots, decent PPP and solid blocks could be in the cards.

14. Sam Reinhart - Another pick hoping for a big offensive season, given the lack of peripherals. Playing with Eichel can't hurt.

15. Mattias Ekholm - Before the depth D with upside disappear, taking a chance in the hopes that Subban's departure gives him more PP opportunity. Ellis is there as well, so if he can come close to last year I'd be happy.

16. Erik Haula - Bit of a risk but depends on line deployment. Will he get C2 time or is he stuck on the third? If he plays centre more often, his FOW from the wing will be solid. If the offense comes along as well, then this pick is worth it.

17. Andreas Johnsson - Was very tempted with Zucker (who went one pick after) but I couldn't resist Johnsson's opportunity playing alongside Matthews.

18. Erik Cernak
    19. Kevin Hayes
    20. Jonathan Drouin
    21. Samuel Girard

These rounds were either to get some depth or go for the upside play. Cernak helps add more grit to my D; Hayes a solid #4C who should get C2 opportunity in Philly; is this what Drouin is or will he finally take the next step; many people have Makar as the PP1 but can Girard step in and produce? I'll take that as D6.

22/23. Craig Anderson/Anders Nilsson - Well, someone had to take them, right? I wasn't planning on it earlier on but figure maybe they'll surprise some people given the low expectations, and can squeak out a decent spot start with a good matchup. Not used to having five goalies (and all from Canadian teams!) but another pair give me options.

24.25. Oliver Bjorkstrand/Milan Lucic - Bjorkstrand is a pure upside play to see what he does with likely more opportunity in Columbus. Lucic was a dart throw that could give some late round production, but at worst throw him out there if I need some PIM and hits.

Overall, I'm happy enough with the depth across the board, steady producers, upside and bounceback options. Maybe I'm a bit light on the grit side but will see how it goes.

Summary of my squad, and newly named:

Blakes on a Plane

C: Tavares, Aho, Zibanejad, Hayes
    L: Svechnikov(R), Arvidsson(R), Haula(C), Drouin(C), Lucic
    R: Wheeler, Nylander(C), Reinhart(C), Johnsson(L), Bjorkstrand(L)
    D: Carlson, Trouba, Klefbom, Ekholm, Cernak, Girard
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot, Rittich, Anderson, Nilsson

Let the season begin!

Dobber Sports Icon

Love all the post-mortems guys! Always great to read your insight!

As for me, I got exactly what I wanted when I chose the 3rd spot in the draft order. All in all, I'm not super impressed with my first half of the draft but I feel like I did really well in the later rounds. I'm thinking I've got a decent shot at getting back to contention with this squad that I've christened 3 From CirHELLi in honor of the latest Firefly family movie. (A nod to the first 4 years of the league where my team name was House of 1000 Corvos)

Round 1 - Alex Ovechkin - Thanks to Maaa for taking Vasilevsky first overall, Ovie fell to me at 3. I knew I would be satisfied with any of Kuch/Ovie/McD but really hoped for Ovie and ended up with him in an unconventional manner. Overall, Vas and Draisatl were the two major surprises this round although both are justifiable.

Round 2 - Tuukka Rask - I was planning to target a goalie with my late 2nd round pick. I hadn't however expected the early goalie run. I watched Bishop/Bob/Andersen/Fleury empty from my queue. I ended up going with Rask in a bit of a panic pick. Not my best pick of this draft but still got a solid goalie on a strong team.

Round 3 - Jack Eichel - Quite happy with this pick even though C is a deep position this year. I think this is the year Eichel jumps to that elite level and becomes a consensus first rounder going forward. Maa taking Karlsson two picks ahead of me made this an easy choice. I thought Guentzel was a bit of a reach in Round 3 but mainly because I had him targeted for Round 4 and I felt I would be reaching a bit there. It's a pick that could definitely pay off for Rick.

Round 4 - Matt Murray- I watched Matthews/Benn/Carlson/E Kane go out of my queue at the beginning of Round 4. No worries... I'll just do a small reach for Meier. Of course he goes next. Ok, I'll switch gears and go goalie. I add Gibson to my queue, but he goes next. At this point I figure I'm screwed for my next choice and am getting ready to scramble. But luckily Murray lasts 2 more picks and gives me a pretty solid #2 to go with Rask. This round was just solid picking by absolutely everyone.

Round 5 - Patrick Laine- Even though he burned me last year, I couldn't pass up Laine in Round 5. Much better value than I got him for last year in Round 2. Was torn between he and Tkachuk. But Laine had the higher ceiling. Tkachuk went 3 picks later of course.

Round 6 - Joe Pavelski - After choosing Laine, I knew I needed to target a top C. But I watched Scheifle/O'Reilly/Zibanejad/Trocheck go in between my picks. Honestly I think both Zib and Troch are tremendous value in Round 6 in this setup. Other than Backstrom, there weren't too many top Cs I felt I could justify at this point but I like Little Joe in Dallas and he can provide FWs from the wing.

Round 7 - John Klingberg - I had a lot of similar D ranked around here and I figured a run was coming soon. That instinct paid off as 11 D would come off the board between this pick and my next pick in Round 8. Krug/Dumba/Risto/Trouba were all D who went later this round that should provide solid stats.

Round 8 - Keith Yandle - Not a sexy pick, but after watching Ghost/Dahlin/Chabot go right in front of this pick, I couldn't pass him up. And honestly he could be the most valuable of those 4 when all is said and done. I like the Brady Tkachuk pick this round too but the +/- could be hard to swallow.

Round 9 - Brendan Gallagher - Gallagher is criminally underrated in this setup. He tied with Taylor Hall for 10th in shots last year and puts up pretty solid numbers across the board. There were sexier names available in Atkinson, Horvat, Kuznetsov but overall I'm happy to land a multi-cat producer at this point.

Round 10 - Elias Petterson - I'm severely lacking at C at this point and I hate to draft someone who isn't strong on FWs but I can't pass up the elite offense in Round 10. I would have took Duchene but he went 2 picks before to Scott.

Round 11 - Dustin Byfuglien - If I win this year, it will be in part because of this pick. Come on back Buff! PLEASE! But in all seriousness, we all whiff on a mid-round pick somewhere. I can recover from this if he does hang it up.

Round 12 - Shea Theodore - D was starting to thin out so this felt like a solid pick. Was targeting Josh Anderson here but LotR snagged him three picks ahead of me. Ferland went this round too and while he wasn't on my radar this early, I realized afterwards that he should have been.

Round 13 - Chris Kreaider - Always a personal favorite (and my namesake last year). Wanted a little more multi-cat production. Lots of solid value went in this round including Connor (steal, I hadn't heard he signed), Provorov, Boeser. Teemu stole my handcuff in Halak... a little early for him in my opinion but given the lack of goalies left, not a bad pick.

Round 14 - Quinn Hughes - This felt like a round of reaches damn near across the board. But I guess we all just followed suit and rolled the dice on some young guys. Hischer is an absolute steal for Teemu in this round. Barzal also feels like he fell way too far. I'd had him in my queue for a couple of rounds but couldn't get past the low FW totals.

Round 15 - Darcy Kuemper - The Arizona backup could prove to be huge value at this point if Raanta continues to be injury prone.

Round 16 - Kevin Shattenkirk - I had intended to draft the Edmonton tandem between the next two rounds but horrorfan beat me to it on the turn. I've got a lot of questions on D with high risk/high reward guys like Buff and Hughes. May as well take one more and give Shatty a chance in TB. Paul Stastny went to PenguinHunter right after which may have made more sense for me.

Round 17 - Mackenzie Blackwood - Since I was unable to land one of the Calgary/Edmonton/Islanders/New Jersey tandems as I had hoped, I figured a fourth goalie at this point would help shore up the starts. If Schneider goes down, he could be great value. Unfortunately it meant missing out on Gardiner/Johnsson/Zucker as they all went later this round.

Round 18 - Alex Galchenyuk - At this point in the draft, I'm targeting the guys I want who I think could have big years and not worrying so much if it's "reaching". I had Galchenyuk as my target since my last pick and was quite surprised at some of the names that went ahead of him. I think he could be in for a career year with the Penguins.

Round 19 - Dylan Strome - Still thin at C, if Strome can continue his late season success in Chicago, this could be a steal. At the very least, I have to think he was worth a 19th round selection.

Round 20 - Jared Spurgeon - The offense may take a step back with Dumba healthy but Spurgeon is a great 5/6 D.

Round 21 - Andre Burakovsky - Another boom/bust pick but that's what the late rounds are for. Was eyeing Tuch or Girard with this pick and likely could have taken one of them and let Burakovsky slide to my next pick, but that's no big deal.

Round 22 - Anthony Cirelli - This year's namesake for my team so let's hope it pays off. Given the amount of groans I heard after this pick, I have to think it was a good one.

Round 23 - Kevin Fiala - Another skater I expect to provide tremendous value this late. Should be given every chance to succeed in Minny this year.

Round 24 - James Neal - I was looking at Charlie Coyle or Max Comtois here but Rick and LotR sniped me. So I shifted my focus to a veteran looking for a rebound season in a new home. It came down to Neal vs Perry and the McDavid factor won out.

Round 25 - Artturi Lehkonen - He's looking at top 6 minutes this season in Montreal and could become a great multi-cat guy in this setup. If not, he was my last pick and I don't mind dropping him for immediate help.

All in all, it's looking like another super competitive year in the RHRS. Can't wait to see how things shake out!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Let the Rocky Horror Roto Show roller coaster ride begin! Love the post draft discussions and thought processes posted here and in Yahoo. I learn more about practical fantasy hockey in this league than anywhere else. Also, I have to say Q, I’ve never seen such amazing auto drafting – impressive!

As always – these drafts are eye opening to say the least. Entering the Horror Show draft is not for the faint of heart – plan on having your perfect queue or tier ripped to bloody shreds right before your eyes. You really need to think 2-4 rounds ahead while making sure you have at LEAST ONE GUY loaded for the current round.

This draft is fraught with “Sophie Choices” – when do I select that first goalie? When do I grab the next level down D or C? How far up in the draft do I take that roto stud? Every choice a trade off and in this league you pay the devil in trade-offs.

Knowing my position was #6, I knew I wouldn’t get a crack at the truly elite top 4. My choices were to take a top goalie (safe but boring), take high flying winger (Marchand, Pastrnak, Kane – again, safe but boring), or go with a solid center who gets you points and FOWs (Crosby, Taveres, Seguin – again, taking the safe play). I have a general bias against centers as the position is deep and you can mine value later (if you’re careful). Last season I got Larkin and Horvat in this manner (won’t happen this year as Larkin will definitely go early given his value). My choice: take Draisaitl and his insane FOW potential combined with his point production. While his shooting percentage is due for regression, I feel confident his point total will end up north of 90. A calculated risk to be sure but you don’t compete in this league by playing it safe.

Next, my focus was establishing my foundation – and that means decent goaltending. Goalies bring a lot of value for the limited slots they fill. You either need quality or quantity and each has its trade-off. This year I opted for quality (take 2 in the first 5 rounds) and not chase goalie stats throughout the draft.

From there, my strategy was to draft on value. I just know that goalies and d-men will disappear early at alarming rates. My strategy is to focus on drafting value and resist the urge to draft a mid-range player early because they fill a position. Yes, I lose out on top tier d-men but I’ll get a top tier point producer. While you can make up stats (to an extent) like HIT, BLK, PIM, you can’t make up points (well, you actually can but it’s a lot more difficult).

My team…I like my balance. The fact that I was able to string together a serviceable d-corp with decent BLK cats while not getting drawn into the d runs allowed me to snipe value elsewhere (note to self: I was pleasantly surprised to see the BLK totals on my forwards -particularly my centers). Overall, I’m happy with my draft and believe I’ll have a team that will compete.

The Kings in Yellow (a play on the Cthulhu Mythos):
    C: Couturier (round 8, #99) my first center drafted; he gets better each year
    C: Horvat (round 9, #110) still undervalued with monster FOW
    C: Dubois (round 11, #136) this year’s Larkin (I’m hoping!)
    C: Stepan (round 16, #203) good value late getting a decent 1st line center
    L: Draisaitl L/C (round 1, #6) I got the guy I wanted, what can I say ��
    L: M.Tkachuk (round 5, #58) multi cat stud
    L: Panarin (round 6, #73) prime example of the trade-off/value in this league for peripherals – getting a potential 90 point player in round 6 is almost criminal
    L: Bertuzzi L/R (round 19, #240) multi cat stud lite now featured on Detroit's top line
    R: Rantanen (round 3, #32) love his point potential and he doesn’t hurt across the other stat categories either
    R: Anderson (round 12, #151) Tom Wilson gets the glory, along with the excessively higher draft round selection – I’ll take later round value with Anderson along with his 20+ goals, 200+ hits, 200+ shots, and 60+ pims any day
    R: Miller L/R (round 15, #188) multi cat stud, dual wing, plays the PP
    R: White C/R (round 21, #266) a first line C with wing eligibility – plus minus may be brutal but I will take the tasty FOWs from the wing
    D: Hamilton (round 7, #84) my only shot at top defender was this round or never as they were all gone – ultimately I went with Dougie for his high SOG and HIT totals along with hopefully his better PP deployment
    D: Werenski (round 10, #125) I didn’t want to punt the D position so focusing on value for those secondary D-men who will provide either PPP and/or BLK
    D: Edler (round 13, #162)
    D: Ellis (round 14, #177)
    D: Gudas (round 17, #214) a beast on PIM / HIT / BLK
    D: Toews (round 20, #255) a smart, underrated player who will start the season as the #1 PP option on the Island
    G: Price (round 2, #21) building block one at G; a healthy Price is a world class goalie
    G: Gibson (round 4, #47) the team may be weak but a healthy Gibson is a world class goalie
    B: Allen G (round 18, #229) one of the very last quality backups remaining; Binnington isn’t playing 60 games so a backup on a quality team is a good thing
    B: Demko G (round 22, #281) an insurance policy along with spot starts; ignored in nearly all leagues; his skill level is incredible and he plays on an improving team
    B: Crouse L (round 23, #292) a stat enhancer for hits and pims
    B: Comtois L (round 24, #307) I like going for home run swings late with rookies; Comtois should get favorable playing time on a young ANA team
    B: Fabbro D (round 25) opportunity is knocking for him in NSH; he’s the reason NSH felt comfortable in moving Subban
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Love the post-draft comments, can't even imagine what an in person live-draft would be like! Vegas 2020?????
    Can't remember who my prospect was or where he got drafted and decided to pick before my turn and still ended up with lucky #13, at some point, picking here must maximize the amount of players I have right?

1:13- Patrick Kane - One of my favorite players in the league and I think he's got another big season in him!
    2:14- Taylor Hall - I took him early last year and he didn't play as much as I needed him to, he's a stud.

3:39- Tarasenko - The plan was 1F/1D and I thought I would be getting Bergeron here, nope!
    4:40- Giordano - Took the full 2 mins here! Gio/Josi/Carlson/Letang - I've owned Carlson and Josi and they were studs, thinking Gio won't repeat last year but everyone will be gone by pick 65 for sure.

5 starting goalies AND 5 stud defensemen drafted between my picks here

5:65- Scheifele - I thought it was a little early for ROR and after trading for him last year it was really close but I'll take the Barrie Colts superstar here.
    6:66- Debrincat - breakout year let's hope he can build on it again, love the Hawks so having Kane and Debrincat will be cool when watching games!

7:91- Markstrom - I don't want to be playing the P7 back-up goalie game this year, what the hell am I doing and where are the goalies!?
    8:92- Lehner - Choochoo lets go Chicago

9:117- Johansen - I tell myself this is good value here and I only have 1C right now, almost rolled the dice on Schneider but last year gave me PTSD (put. the. schneider. down?)
    10:118- Faulk - Need to round out the D-corps

11:143- Pacioretty - I was going to take a shot at the NYR tandem here but Mike grabbed Lundqvist! Vegas should be great this year I think!
    12:144- Nelson - little bit of FOW from the W for me

13:169- Greiss - I don't trust Varly to hold the starting spot so gamble on a G here
    14:170- Danault - I think this is a rough pick but shouldn't sink me!

15:195- Smith - why do I need this many goalies? oh yes, I don't have a tier 1 or 2 or... even 3? goalie right now????
    15:196- Koskinen - apparently he sucks but these 2 should get me 75GP or something.

16- Zadorov - I am super shallow on D and this guy is a bruiser
    17- Parise - Always a sneaky late pick for 50+
    18- Little - Not a sexy pick but need some FOW from the wing here
    19- Brossoit - Why do I own so many goalies and WPG players?
    20- R. Smith - Super pumped about getting him here!
    21- Saad - Why do I own so many CHI players?
    22- Kapanen - Maybe the best pick I made all draft haha if he plays on the top line this will be a steal!
    23- Larsson - +/- killer but can't ignore the grit
    24- Polak - I like Dallas and Polak!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Pengwin7 Team Review:

Quid Pro Quo, Patrice

My draft strategy has been consistent over the years:
    1. Draft high-end forwards, preferably with 2-3 wing-eligible FOW players.
    2. Try to find value in late-drafting goalies on good+ teams.
    3. Spot fill D where available

In a fun twist, the RHRS now allows "picking your pick-spot" based on a lottery.
    I ended up choosing the 2nd last spot of the round, which keeps me just off-the-turn, drafting 12/13... a position I very much like.
    Since I fell there, the draft picks can be discussed together with having similar value

Round 1(12)/2(15): Tyler Seguin was a guy I almost drafted early last year. He ticks all the boxes and SOG-heavy C are actually a bit rare. His FOW-prowess greatly improves, Benn taking less-and-less. DAL PP could be lethal this year with Pavelski. After a LW-RW turn by dooley, I went with a favourite player, Claude Giroux, who will rake me a ton of FOW from either LW or RW, being C-LW-RW. As a Flyers fan, I prayed for this... will make for very enjoyable season.

Round 3(38)/4(41): Patrice Bergeron I had in my original top 15! Year-after-year he puts up top 20 "per game" fantasy, so I find it incredible him and his FOW would drop... but it does happen that a goalie run goes in 2/3 which leaves a LOT of bonafide wonder-forwards available here. Speaking of which, Austin friggin Matthews at 41, yessir. I advocate Matthews as a top5 pick in new keeper leagues. I still think we haven't seen his full upside... it'll happen one of these years, he just has IT = 100+pts.

***I don't love coming out of the gates with three C-only.... I've done it before, but these are just clear BPAs, so I couldn't pass.***

Round 5(64)/6(67): Tomas Hertl with his C/LW is a guy I think will have the biggest increase in wake of Pavelski's departure. I think he'll play like SJ's C1. I've seen nothing to doubt he is a true NHL C1. After the turn, I took my C4 - yes, this early- Ryan O'Reilly is just super-solid... and all those FOW. I mean, I was so far out in front of the pack for FOW that I could honestly "put it away" from planning for the rest of the draft. Which is nice. Like getting a high-end QB1 in fantasy football.

***Obv, at this point, no D, no G... and I do need to think hard on that... and whadda ya know.***

Round 7(90)/8(93): I had five D queued up here: Weber, Hamilton, Dumba, Trouba, Klingberg. They ALL went in a 11-pick run. In past year, I have panicked and taken the next best... but Erik Gustafsson and Ghost, and Dahlin, and Nurse felt wrong with a guy like Mark Stone still on the board. I went there. After a G-G turn by dooley, I realized how thin it was, thankfully Petr Mrazek (CAR) was there... and that's a top 10 NHL team for projected wins by some gurus. TBH, there is major downside with Carolina... which I forgot about... the D is TOO good... they don't give up enough shots. As soon as I drafted Mrazek, I realized this... which means I'm playing in last for SV/gp. Yeesh. Oh well.

***4C, 2LW, 1RW, 1G to this point. Actually loving my team here... which is rare.***

Round 9(116)/10(117): For a 2nd straight-turn, I put several D in my queue: Pulock (gone), OEL (gone), AP (gone)... but the guy at the top is Josh Morrissey (WPG). I'm 80% Buff is done... and if he is done, Morrissey is going to have an absolute MONSTER year. Huge. He's got top 50 fantasy-upside in a non-Buff world. I have JM in my PQMC keeper... which reminded me of the other guy coming into a clear-cut PP1 slot on a huge PP - Cale Makar. Was he really still there?! He IS! OMG. I'm practically losing my marbles in excitement at this point to get him as my D2.

Below: Pengwin7 after Round 10:

Round 11/12: Went with the NYR goalies: Lundqvist, then Georgiev. Starts are critical in a 13-team Roto with SV. NYR defense isn't great, but their offense is. Hopefully they give up lots of shots, so that there will be SV. This should/could balance that with the Mrazek pick.

Round 13/14: I love, love, love that Charlie McAvoy is here as my D3. My team is young... and it's a young mans' league, so I went all-in and drafted NYR uber-wing-kid Kaapo Kakko. The league hasn't had a dynamic rookie-year player since McDavid... so we've all learned to wait, wait, wait on these guys... but Kakko at 171 seems like good value.

Round 15/16: Speaking of top-end rookies, how does Jack Hughes make it to me here. Thank ye. I mean, projections have him for 60+pts... and if he can't win draws, he'll at LEAST be shifted to wing, which could be lethal if he gets dual eligibility. After the dooley EDM-double-G turn, I saw Frank Vatrano there. Vatrano is sneaky good in SOG/HIT leagues and his + should be in good shape as a top sixer for a FLA team that has added Bob. I think he's got top 80, Marchessault-ish upside this year.

***At this point, I'm really, truly very pleased about this team.***

Round 17/18: I took the unsexy Jimmy Howard here. That should give me my 165gp. He's a spot-starter when DET has a good opponent. And seeing Howard reminded me that Andreas Athanasiou as a C/LW has good value. Especially since Nielsen or Filppula probably goes down with injury or has the wheels fall off.

Round 19/20: I took two VGK defensemen here. Brayden McNabb (VGK) is a HIT/BLK beast who will play top two pairing. Nate Schmidt (VGK) doesn't HIT much, but he will play PP2, and maybe PP1 if Theodore struggles. VGK is LOADED... which means there will be big pluses and token apples for the defenders here. I think Nate Schmidt is a huge sleeper of fantasy hockey circles this year... pretty sure I own him in all FIVE of my leagues (TWO keepers, and THREE one-year leagues).

Round 21/22: Blake Coleman (NJ) should have solid value on a revamped NJ team. Right now he's 3rd line, but if any of the talent-heavy lines gets pushed around, I think it'll be Coleman that pushes back. I need some PIM & HIT, he's the guy. The weakest link of the recharged NYR is the C2, which for now is Ryan Strome (C/RW), who has RW eligibility. I'm not huge on Strome, but there should be plenty of points there playing line 2 with Kreider & Kakko.

Round 23/24: At the end of my drafts, I like solid PLUS defensemen with good schedules. Codi Ceci (TOR) will be 3rd pairing TOR... that's sheltered minutes, but still token PLUSes from being on the ice. He does BLK/HIT, so that's good. Brian Dumoulin (PIT) plays top pairing with Kris Letang. I love Dumo, targetted him in several leagues last year and was rewarded with a +30. Solid, my man.

Round 25: Rasmus Sandin (TOR). You either know or you don't know. I know. Sandin, man. Enter. Impress. Repeat.

Prediction: 1.
    Yes, I'm going there this year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

If I have learned anything from my first few years in the RHRS… it was that I needed to not take the ‘sexy’ pick. So I made a sticky note and put it on my computer right above the ‘DRAFT’ Button.

Round 1 - I selected the 2nd overall spot with full intention of getting the draft going with Kucherov or Ovechkin. In all my preparation Kucherov was the guy going first… so I created a strategy revolving around Ovechkin. Had full intentions of taking Ovechkin… but with Vasileskiy going first… I decided I had to go with Kucherov here. Strategy… out the window!

Round 2 – In my mock drafts I was constantly getting Grioux here and was contemplating whether this would happen in this league. Sure enough it didn’t. So when it got closer to my pick I had narrowed it down to a couple goalies and a couple defense. Fleury and Rask went right before my pick, so I went with the last goalie I had in the tier… Rinne. Nashville won the division and I expect them to better this year than last.

Round 3 – I had a couple D on my short list before the turn. Maasquito only took one of them… so I was able to snag Hedman here. Getting a D that can cover every category is huge for me. And I am banking on the low hit total from last year being a result of a lingering injury that he is now healthy from I don’t expect the 139 hits from 2017-18… but that would be super nice!

Round 4 – With a lot of great multi-cat forwards and goalies going in this round… I see one of the last top tier D-men available, so I draft Josi. I know he doesn’t hit a lot… but he does everything else a lot. And Nashville’s powerplay has to improve this year!

Round 5 – I had a couple LWers lined up here in Forsberg and Tkachuk…. Earlier in the week I traded Forsberg away in my dynasty league… and I have always been a fan of him. I should have went with Tkachuk… but here’s hoping Forsberg can stay healthy this year.

After 5 - With five rounds in the books I am wishing this is a league where it counts games into the playoffs as I have five players (RW, LW, D, D, G) all from the two teams that I expect to be in the Stanley Cup finals. I am happy with having a top G and two top D and keep telling myself not to draft a forward who doesn’t get at least 50 hits or win faceoffs from the wing… so far so good… except for Kucherov not getting the hits.

Round 6/7 – With these picks coming up I am starting to get some big eyes for faceoff wins from the wings and toss out some hits in Pavelski, Marchessault and Lindholm. Pavelski goes right before my pick… so I grab Marchessault and Lindholm. Adding a winger on each side and 180 hits, 600 winger FOW and 452 SOG makes me pleased with the turn.

Round 8/9 - Originally I was planning on making sure I have some nice rounded coverage for all positions, but chance my mind to being extremely patient with centres and see what I can get late. I am hoping for a bounce back from a healthy Rakell. With RNH still on my queue from the previous turn, I start looking to see what his peripherals are and he met the check of having at least 50 hits last year and adds some FOW from the wing…

Round 10/11 – Heading into the 10th round I have 2RW, 4LW, 2D, 1G. I have been doing pretty well with making sure focus too much on the points and SOG and more on the peripherals… then Voracek is still there when it gets to my turn… and I throw the 50 hits out the window to make the homer pick. After making the pick I quickly search for another winger that provides hits… Palmieri he covers the categories decently and if he cracks the top powerplay unit, that would be great. If I average Voracek and Palmieri’s hit totals out, I get about 50 per player. Back on track now.

Round 12/13 – This is where I was contemplating taking a couple goalies… but I always have trouble seeing value in goalies…I am going to have to overcome this some year but I always draft goalies late. But I am able to grab my only goalie thus far’s backup in Saros. I am also able to add a well rounded D in Ekblad. Nothing exciting here…. Just protecting my goalie and getting safety in a 3rd D man.

Round 14/15 – Again having trouble finding value in goalies, I turn to a couple D in Sergachev and Lindell. Both on strong teams and both can contribute across the board. Able to get some hits and block coverage without sacrificing too many points here.

After 15 round - Still without a centre, my RW and LW slots are filled and I have 5 Defense and the two Nashville goalies. I know it is now time to shift focus to FOW and some combination of backup goalies that could help me not be at the bottom in all the goalie categories.

Round 16 – Stastny – Get me some FOW and on a strong team, happy with Stastny as my #1 centre… doesn’t reach the 50 hit benchmark… but I need a FOW workhorse.

Round 17 – McLehinney – Backup goalie on a team that should easily surpass 50 wins, and they have Ottawa and Detroit in the division. I think Tampa rests Vasileskiy a decent amount and McLehinney was good last year.

Round 18 – Backlund – More FOW and matches the 50 hit benchmark and plays on another strong team. Plus he shoots the puck.
    Round 19 - Koivu – Sacrificing some SOG and hits here… but getting a 800 FOW guy here for my third centre.
    Round 20 – Faksa – Going for some more FOW and getting 100 hits from my #4 Centre… and another centreman on a strong team.
    Round 21 - Reimer - throwing some mud at the wall and hoping for a miracle… Mrazek isn’t the most safe #1 in the league so hopefully Reimer will get some stretches of playing time. And Carolina should be improved from last year.
    Round 22 – Slavin – 23:00 minutes of ice time should lead to opportunity for good block and hit totals… and opportunity for secondary assists.
    Round 23 – Pionk – Slavin doesn’t hit much…so I added Pionk to offset that. And my co-worker, Jets season ticket holder told me to buy in on this guy playing with Morrissey. Morrissey makes his partner better, or so I am told.
    Round 24 – N. Ritchie – 30 points in 60 games last year… plus 123 hits… and supposedly playing with Getzlaf this year? I will take a chance on the points coming along with the hits.
    Round 25 – Stalock – Have to pick another goalie and hope for something special. Minnesota’s D corps is decent an I realize that I left goalies way to late and need a miracle in net to come from McLehinney, Reimer or Stalock. I got to find me this year’s Peter Budaj!

Summary
    C- Stastny, Backlund, Koivu, Faksa
    LW – Forsberg, Rakell, Marchessault, RNH
    RW – Kucherov, Voracek, E. Lindholm, Palmieri
    D – Hedman, Josi, Ekblad, Sergachev, Lindell, Slavin
    BN – Pionk, Ritchie
    G- Rinne, Saros, McLEhinney, Reimer, Stalock

Team Name –

First I looked at my team name and the best I came up with was something along the lines of Josi (You See) or Ekblad (Blood)… so I started searching the top horror films… and Dracula hit me… I have Rakell…

So I could go with D-Rakell-a… Then I considered going with Ekblad for D-Rakell-a… And I started thinking… how is Ekblad’s name pronounces… is it blahd or blood… I think its more the former… so I have settled on Count DRakella.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I was picking from the #8 slot which is more or less my preferred slot to draft in most snake drafts. The plan was to wait a bit on goalies and only draft 1 starter during first 10 rounds or so unless someone like Raanta or Mrazek drops so late I feel I have to pick one of them up and then fill up late with at least one of Saros/Halak and fill out the rest with likes of DeSmith/McElhinney/Elliott/Allen/few others. I have had some issues filling out my C with decent players that take enough FOWs in previous seasons, so I tried to push centers up my rankings a little bit so I wouldn't end up with 2-3 C that are barely better than players in FA. I also tried to make sure I'd get 2 wing-eligible players that take faceoffs to stay competitive in FOW, probably more likely to be some later depth picks like Jenner/Nelson/Hintz/Foligno/Shaw/White as most early players like Giroux/Pavelski/Schenn/etc tend to go little earlier than I want to pick them.

The Hellbound Hart

C - Larkin, Kuznetsov, Hischier, J.Staal
    LW - Meier, Mantha, Jenner, Hintz
    RW - Pastrnak, Radulov, Niederreiter, Perron
    D - Burns, Krug, Hronek, Chychrun, DeAngelo, -
    G - Grubauer, Raanta
    BN - Halak, DeSmith, Francouz, Shesterkin, Kotkaniemi, Kubalik

1. (8) Brent Burns (SJ - D)
    My wishlist went Burns, Draisaitl, Pastrnak so very happy to get Burns. Draisaitl pick would be all about those tasty FOW from the wings, without FOW I'd Drai ranked somewhere in the 3rd round for reference.

2. (19) David Pastrnak (Bos - RW)

I would have considered Bobrovsky if he was here, but he went earlier. Pastrnak dropped somewhat surprisingly this far so I happily snatched him up. Two players in my Top10 on the team so far so probably the best start of any draft I had this year.

3. (34) Philipp Grubauer (Col - G)

I would have taken anyone of Rantanen, Stamkos or Eichel if they were here, but all those went few picks earlier. I did consider going Bergeron, but I estimated that it was likely that there would be some C centers like Larkin, Kopitar, Horvat, Johansen, Kadri, Dubois, Hischier available at good spots later on in the draft. I also knew that I would more or less 100% pick Meier in the next round and quite likely Larkin two rounds later so I kind of had to get a goalie here unless I wanted to wait later to pick someone like Mrazek/Raanta/Markstrom as my 1st goalie. In the end I didn't want to take the risk so went with the best goalie in my rankings in Grubauer. Gibson, Binnington and Dubnyk were pretty similarly rated of the available goalies, but Dubnyk would likely be available at least one round if not two rounds later. I have had very bad experiences in drafting at least supposedly elite goalies on bad teams like Gibson so didn't want him. Binnington just wasn't established enough for me to take either, at least Grubauer has a decent track record of good play at NHL level even if most of it as a backup/platoon goalie.

4. (45) Timo Meier (SJ - LW,RW)

I am very high on both Meier and Larkin and had both very highly ranked in early 20s in my rankings. I was pretty sure that Meier wouldn't last to my next pick and Larkin just might so went Meier. I also liked M.Tkachuk, Letang quite a lot, but they were just a little behind the first two.

5. (60) Dylan Larkin (Det - C)

I am really happy that Larkin was available here so picked him up. Without him I'd probably have taken Dubnyk as he was the last Top10 G left in my rankings at this point and the next best skaters on my board in Hamilton, Dumba, Radulov would probably be available at least one if not two rounds later.

6. (71) Alexander Radulov (Dal - RW)

I did think about Toews, E.Lindholm, Hamilton and Dumba as well and those FOW from the wings from Lindholm would have been nice. I was also keeping an eye on Raanta, Mrazek and Markstrom and pick one of up if they drop one or two rounds later. I thought I could get Hamilton or Dumba round later so decided to go with Radulov.

7. (86) Torey Krug (Bos - D)

Dumba and Hamilton go with two last picks before me so now I have somewhat difficult decision to make. Krug wasn't much behind the other two in my rankings, but he's really poor in blocks so I'd have to make it up later with someone like Edler or something like that. Svechnikov was the highest ranked available, but he might drop to my next pick and I preferred to get 2nd D anyway. Mrazek and Markstrom went, but Raanta was still here so it was close between the Krug, Svechnikov and Raanta, but decided I wanted D here and I don't think Krug would have dropped any later either whereas the other two just might.

8. (97) Antti Raanta (Ari - G)

I was also considering Dahlin, Kuznetsov, Couturier and B.Tkachuk, but I am still really high on Raanta so at this point I felt I had to take him. This essentially pushed my goalie pick plan somewhat later as instead of going Saros+Halak in R11+R12, I could probably wait until someone took one of them and pick the other with my next pick. Dahlin I like quite a lot, but I am projecting pretty low block totals so didn't want to take another low-block D after Krug.

9. (112) Evgeny Kuznetsov (Was - C)

Kuznetsov, Mantha and Niederreiter were pretty similarly ranked on my board and then Kopitar slightly behind. I was pretty sure Mantha and Niederreiter would be available at least round if not 3 rounds later so decision was between Kuznetsov and Kopitar. Kuznetsov was ahead overall, but might be poor sub-500 FOW C and Kopitar on the other hand might post 1000+ FOW. I decided to go with Kuznetsov in the end, but might have been better idea go Kopitar as I probably would have taken Edler to fix my blocks instead of Jenner few rounds later and ended up with better overall team. I also kept an eye on Schneider to pick him up if he drops close to pick #150.

10. (123) Anthony Mantha (Det - LW,RW)

I did think about Kadri and Skinner as well, but decided to go with BPA in my list in Mantha. I only had 3 wingers anyway so time to get some more of them onboard. Schneider was picked as well so time to keep an eye on Saros/Halak instead.

11. (138) Nino Niederreiter (Car - LW,RW)

I was just about to pick Kadri, but was sniped at the last second. I did consider taking Edler to fix my blocks, but I was thinking I could probably wait round or maybe two. Decided to once again go back wings and take Niederreiter.

12. (149) Boone Jenner (Cls - C,LW)

My FOW was still kind of doubtful after taking low-FOW C like Kuznetsov and FOW-taking wingers tend to be reached on pretty significantly in this league. B.Nelson who I thought I could get few rounds later went so decided I had to get one before I miss out on all of them. Might be a bit of a reach, but at least it should get me a nice boost in FOW at least. I probably should have gone Edler to fix my lowish blocks though, but that remains to be seen.

13. (164) Jaroslav Halak (Bos - G)

Saros went and I wanted at least one of these two so went with Halak. From other players I was also looking my eye on Barzal, Oshie, Hischier and Boeser.

14. (175) Nico Hischier (NJ - C)

I only had 2 D so I should look to add more, but the best four D in my list in Gudas, Hronek, DeAngelo and Chychrun would very likely be available later so looked at forwards instead. I did think about Oshie as well, but decided to go with Hischier as solid Cs with decent FOW totals were starting to really thin with pretty much only E.Staal, J.Staal, Stepan and Stastny left of those who I considered solid. Barzal was technically higher rated than Hischier, but I didn't want pure C that might not get past 300 FOW in a season.

15. (190) Casey DeSmith (Pit - G)

To be fair I wasn't aware that PIT was considering making Jarry the backup as I had done my goalie projections nearly a month ago and hadn't caught on to this particular news. If I had known I would still have wanted him, but probably just few rounds later and gone with McElhinney instead here. Him getting waived might even be a boost though if he goes to team like MIN for example. but who knows. I was also looking at plenty of other players like Gudas, Hronek, E.Staal, DeBrusk, Zucker, Hintz and Kase as well, but decided to bolster my goaltending instead.

16. (201) Filip Hronek (Det - D)

I only had 2 D so far so pretty much had to look at D. D who could post some decent PPP totals were getting thin so decided to roll my dice on Hronek. He's another lowish block D though so my blocks were probably kind shot at this point though.

17. (216) Roope Hintz (Dal - C,LW)

Gudas was picked and I was sure I could get Chychrun and DeAngelo later so picked up one of the last FOW-taking wingers I considered worth picking in Hintz. I was a bit surprised he wasn't picked few rounds earlier as I have heard lot of people being high on him as a sleeper.

18. (227) Jordan Staal (Car - C)

I needed 4th C and with being probably able to wait on the D I wanted, I picked J.Staal as he was the last C that gets solid FOW totals that I liked except maybe D.Strome, but he's another one of those low FOW total Cs.

19. (242) Pavel Francouz (Col - G)

I missed out on McElhinney a bit earlier so wanted to pick up Grubauers backup just in case and I kind of like Francouz anyway as he was an elite goalie in the KHL and pretty good last season in the AHL too. Few wingers were also considered like Coleman, Gourde, Foligno, Zuccarello and Perron.

Continued from the previous post

20. (253) Jakob Chychrun (Ari - D)
    21. (268) Tony DeAngelo (NYR - D)

I didn't want to push Chychrun/DeAngelo picks too late so picked them up. I would have liked to pick up at least one lower-end goalie like Allen, Elliott but all those options went few rounds earlier so too late for that.

22. (279) David Perron (StL - LW,RW)
    23. (294) Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Mon - C)
    24. (305) Igor Shesterkin (NYR - G)
    25. (320) Dominik Kubalik (Chi - LW)

Just some later roster filler picks, longshots. Kotkaniemi might just take another step forward and having possibly another good FOW-taking C would be nice even if he's just 3C material. Shestyorkin is my Binnington/C.Hart type longshot pick. He was simply too good in the KHL to not sit on him like month or two at least to see. If he dominates in the AHL, I am sure he will be called up and I am not particularly high on Lundqvist or Georgiev so I think it's worth a shot. Kubalik has been pretty good in Czech Extraliga and Swiss NLA so I feel like he has a shot at being solid depth multicat producer as the possibility of getting Top6 spot in CHI is definitely there.

Overall I am really happy with the team, although would have preferred to get some more insurance cover on goaltending by picking at least one more goalie like Allen/Elliott/Campbell later in the draft. My D is really poor after Burns and Krug so remains to be seen what I do with the likes of Hronek, DeAngelo and Chychrun. Categorywise team looks pretty good across-the-board expect probably BLK and maybe SVS, but BLKs could be fixable if I pick up some block-heavy Ds from FA or maybe even trade W for D to get a slightly better balanced roster. I am actually 1 D short currently and might do that for some time as going short on one or two roster position for a few weeks or even months is perfectly fine tactic in a max GP rotisserie league.

Just for some extra stuff I thought I'd share the draft shortlist I am using during my drafts, see attached file below the post. I have a bigger spreadsheet with full rankings which I am mainly using and this is more like an extra fast-look shortlist of players I want by the round I am expecting them to go in the draft. You can also see that nearly every player I drafted in this draft is on the list and usually pretty close to the target round I set. This kind of stuff is also very useful if you have multiple drafts going on at the same time and have less time follow a single draft.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dobber Sports Stud

As they say the best laid plans don’t survive first contact. This went nuclear in a hurry.

Sitting in the 5th drafting slot my plan was to go with Vas round 1, high volume shooter/FOW C in round 2 and again in round 3, E. Kane is he was there in round 4, and a second goalie if I liked what was available at round 5. I have not done well trying to value draft goalies so thought I would get them out of the way early and then relax a little. I also like to lock down C1 and C2 early. Schneider later in the draft was also part of my thinking/plan.

My actual draft has zero resemblance to this plan.

Round 1 – MacKinnon. With Vas going first overall the bottom fell out on my plan pretty quickly. Default was high end C. I struggled between Mac and Crosby but the potential injury to Crosby and the high SOG volume for Mac won the day. I am hoping he can get his FOW up a bit.

Round 2 – Barkov, fits in well with my preference for C early and ticks all the boxes I am looking for at this point

Round 3 – Might have gone G here but everything I liked for this round was off the board, I was really low on offensive production last year so decided to look to wingers as top tier D were also gone. Debated between Gaudreau and Marner and went with the one that allowed me to keep my team name (Closer to Gaudreau). At this point I am not too worried about grit, mostly focusing on offence (with decent number of goals), PPP and SOG.

Round 4 – Marner is still there which surprises me a little, so I decide to grab him. Potential 90-point player in the fourth round is good for me, although really starting to put myself in a hole with HITS and PIM.

Round 5 – Seth Jones, he was near the top of my D list after the elite three (Burns, Karlsson and Hedman) as he brings stats across the board, hoping he can up the PPP a little from last year.

Round 6 – Panarin was sniped just before me so I go for my third C in Monahan. Hoping last year was a down year for FOW. My team gets softer…..

Round 7 - Carter Hart, at this point G are really slim so I decide to roll the dice on Hart. Thinking Hart + Schneider could be an okay tandem if I can grab the latter (I did not get him).

Round 8 – Had Couturier all lined up and sniped just before my pick. With 6 D slots to fill and only one in the bag so far I think blue line and grab Dahlin. Low on HITS but otherwise like what he brings.

Round 9 – Pulock, I don’t see a lot of depth left for D so decide to take a multi-cat option to bring me halfway on the blue line.

Round 10 – Cory Schneider goes a few picks before me and I fall off my chair. Not happy. Get back up, chug a beer and grab my fourth C in Duchene.

Round 11 – Skinner, my wings are bare and I like the value of a 30 goal scorer this late in the draft.

Round 12 – I am royally screwed for G at this point and see only two starters left, Quick and Anderson. I chug a beer and grab Quick. At this point I realize I am in a large hole for Hits, PIM and all goalie stats which is not a good place to be.

Round 13 – Thinking I need to gain some HITS without losing too much in SOG and still get some BLK and am eyeing Petry, but he goes just before me so grab Provorov.

Round 14 – Personal favourite Josh Anderson is long gone so I go the poorer man’s version in Dustin Brown. Trying to get my HITS up while maintaining respectable SOG.

Round 15 – Ehlers. 60-point potential with very good SOG is a good pick at this round in my mind.

Round 16 – Eyeing Wayne Simmonds but he goes a few picks before me. I panic and take Konecny. Good HITS and okay SOG. A 50-point winger who brings value in other cats is okay by me here, although I wish I had a longer queue as I don’t think I got great value here.

Round 17 – Scrounging for D and see Jake Gardiner sitting there. If he gets top PP this is a bargain and maybe something I can trade for more grit.

Round 18 – Nyquist. Not sure what to make of him but 50-60 point potential with good SOG is good enough.

Round 19 – Brian Elliott. If nothing else I need to maximize my G games so lock up Philly. I should have gone Zucs here (who went four picks later) and waited another round for Elliott.

Round 20 – Schultz. I wanted Copley but he went a few picks ahead of me. Hoping for a rebound season from Schultz.

Round 21 – Josh Bailey. Needed wingers and the potential for a few FOW from the wing.

Round 22 – Malcolm Subban. Think Vegas is a contender and need to shore up my G starts.

Round 23 – Panik. HITS.

Round 24 – Ryan Miller. If I am going to max out my goalie starts it helps to have someone playing off nights (I am basing this entirely off of previous year’s schedules).

Round 25 – Adam Lowry. Good FOW and HITS. I can plug him in based on need.

I am not thrilled with this team in terms of contending and see it as a bottom half team unless I get some level of performance from Quick. I am good with Hart and hoping my back up goalies mean I can limit Quick’s starts if he performs similar to last year. I am light on FOW (but a lot of teams seem to be so I may be able to live with this), HITS and PIM.

Post-draft: Put Gardiner on IR+ and grabbed Glendening – HITS and FOW from the wing, plus a lot of BLK for a forward. I don’t know if I have the offensive prowess to compensate for his lack of production but a nice option to have at this point.

Team Summary:

Closer to Gaudreau
    C: MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Duchene
    LW: Gaudreau, Skinner, Ehlers (RW) Nyquist (RW)
    RW: Marner, Brown, Konecny, Bailey (LW)
    D: Jones, Dahlin, Pulock, Provorov, Schultz
    G: Hart, Quick
    B: Panik, Lowry, Glendening, Elliott, M. Subban, R. Killer
    IR+: Gardiner

Projected standings

Team Draft pos Skaters Goalies PTS Max%
    The Hellbound Hart 8 109 44 153 84,07%
    The Kings in Yellow 6 92 34 126 69,23%
    Natural Born Quiller 9 67 35 102 56,04%
    The Devil's Rejects 11 74 26 100 54,95%
    Count DRakella 2 74 25 99 54,40%
    The D-amned 7 68 31 99 54,40%
    Maaaaaa-chete 1 53 45 98 53,85%
    Closer to Gaudreau 5 77 18 95 52,20%
    Blakes on a Plane 10 74 19 93 51,10%
    3 From Cir-HELL-i 3 63 28 91 50,00%
    Drag Me to Hall 13 51 24 75 41,21%
    Quid Pro Quo Patrice 12 59 15 74 40,66%
    Lil Propp of Horrors 4 49 20 69 37,91%

The Devil's Rejects, Count DRakella, 3 From Cir-HELL-i and Lil Propp of Horrors are all projected to miss 164 goalie GP by somewhat so probably some gains available there in W,SVS.

My team is nearly always in the 1st place by quite a margin so that's just to be expected and just a sign that I drafted well based on my projections, but whether my projections are particularly good is an another matter altogether. LOTR always seems to draft good teams by my projections so not surprised to see his team at the 2nd place. Lot of teams in the middle and 10 pts difference in projected finish is nearly nothing so should be an another close season in the RHRS.

I also did some analysis on the last two seasons of RHRS trying to estimate how much of a difference in-season management/trades/FA pickups can make compared to the situation after the draft. There were 4-5 teams both seasons where I estimated that in-season decisions accounted for over 20 pts gains/losses and there were even some +-30 pts swings as well. For example, by my estimations, last season's eventual winner Train to Subban had a mid-table team after the draft with projected 96 pts finish, but excellent in-season management pushed the team up by +34 pts to a 130 pts 1st place finish.