Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2019/20 Rocky Horror Roto Show

The Wolverine

Default 2019/20 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Here we go, the eighth Rocky Horror Roto Show is nearly upon us. Here are the settings:

Yahoo, One year Roto, Daily lineups
    No max moves/82 max games per positional slot
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FOW,Hits,Blocks,W,GAA,SV,SV%
    4C,4L,4R,6D,2G,5BN,1IR,1IR+

Everyone is back this year so looking forward to another exciting season!

The live draft date has been set and will take place on Saturday, September 28th at 8pm Eastern.

The draft order is as follows:

1. Maaaasquito
    2. PenguinHunter
    3. 4T2
    4. Atomic Wedgy
    5. Chili Con Carne
    6. LordoftheRinks
    7. YzermansLegacy - defending champ x 2
    8. temek
    9. The Comish
    10. horrorfan
    11. Shoeless
    12. Pengwin7
    13. dooley89

I look forward to using this thread as a basis of many discussions and updates. The draft results are posted for all to praise and ridicule.

However, main league issues are to remain on the league board.

Draft results:

Last edited by horrorfan; September 29, 2019 at 8:19 AM.

The Wolverine

Default Re: 2019/20 Rocky Horror Roto Show

I have to say that the 10th pick is not easy this year - so many ways to go especially when considering who could be available in the second round.

Decisions decisions...

Dobber Sports Icon

Woohoo can't wait to get this started!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm 67 players deep in my pre-draft queue.
    Watch-out!

Yzerman's Legacy is two-time defending champ, yes?

I was mentioning in PQMC that I have NEVER (evah!) been in any league with a back-to-back-to-back champ!
    So... YL... just a heads-up, I'll be managing my roster to keep you humble! My own finish will be secondary!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
    (Same goes for EskimoBro in PQMC)

I can't recall... but I do remember I once draft-guarded temek for the rest of you... when he was a juggernaut. 3-peat avoided!
    i.e. Anybody drafting within two spots of YL is "in charge of him".
    No fugg-ups there boys... know your duty!!!
    [That said, I think if I were to CHOOSE the two GMs to sandwich around YL... it'd be temek & LOTR... oh, that will be fun to watch!!! ]

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm 67 players deep in my pre-draft queue.
    Watch-out!

Yzerman's Legacy is two-time defending champ, yes?

I was mentioning in PQMC that I have NEVER (evah!) been in any league with a back-to-back-to-back champ!
    So... YL... just a heads-up, I'll be managing my roster to keep you humble! My own finish will be secondary!!! Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
    (Same goes for EskimoBro in PQMC)

I can't recall... but I do remember I once draft-guarded temek for the rest of you... when he was a juggernaut. 3-peat avoided!
    i.e. Anybody drafting within two spots of YL is "in charge of him".
    No fugg-ups there boys... know your duty!!!
    [That said, I think if I were to CHOOSE the two GMs to sandwich around YL... it'd be temek & LOTR... oh, that will be fun to watch!!! ]
    Yep, back-to-back defending champ (updated the original post to reflect this). Impressive given the competition.

Less than a week to go!

Dobber Sports Stud

Woot woot! Excited to get another season of the Horror Show underway!

Disappointed I won't be at the draft to join in the chatter... somebody please throw some shade when Ma picks his 5th goalie in the 6th round

Here's hoping I haven't used up all of my monkey paw wishes yet and can contend for another title this year!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The Wolverine

Just over a day to go everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Woot woot! Excited to get another season of the Horror Show underway!

Disappointed I won't be at the draft to join in the chatter... somebody please throw some shade when Ma picks his 5th goalie in the 6th round

Here's hoping I haven't used up all of my monkey paw wishes yet and can contend for another title this year!
    Shame you won't be at the draft tomorrow. I'm sure your rankings will help keep you competitive.

The Wolverine

Draft day!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Does anyone else feel like they have been hit by a freight train after that one?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Does anyone else feel like they have been hit by a freight train after that one?
    Yeah, that was something else. Total chaos.

Dobber Sports Master

I wanted to have a nap.

The Wolverine

Yep, that was exhausting.

Draft results added to the first post.

Dobber Sports Icon

Definitely one of the toughest drafts I’ve ever been a part of with some major surprises, not the least of which was Vasilevsky going first overall. Although I guess it shouldn’t have been such a surprise given who was picking first

Dobber Sports Expert

To be honest, I haven’t really been following fantasy hockey religiously over the last few years as “real-life” commitments have caught up to me, so I didn’t do a whole ton of preparation. I mostly just watched a few Youtube videos (Fantasy Hockey Podcast) and did a little bit of light reading of Rotoworld and Dobber Ramblings and that’s about it, certainly not as prepared for drafts these days as I was a decade ago…

It all started about a month ago with the draft order… I decided to roll the dice with the #1 pick this year, which gave me headaches over the last couple of weeks, as that will affect my usual “hoard goalies strategy”. I mulled it over a lot this year and debated Ovechkin vs. Vas for much of the last few days… Heading into the draft, I was wanting to continue my trend of hoarding goalies then being “selective” in my goalie starts. “With my strategy heading in, I'm pretty much mirrored what I did the last few years... Goalies are always a scarcity in this type of league and with 4/14 of the categories goalie related (nearly 30%), each goalie start (1/164, or 0.6% of an entire season's production...) is always more heavily weighted than say a forward start (1/984 or 0.1% of an entire season's production...) or defensive start (1/492 or 0.2%). So here's where my strategy comes into play, where I make a scarce position even "scarcer", and not only that but basically I can keep the competition's goalie stats at bay because eventhough they may have a "top-tiered" goalie they can't really support those stats with a quality #2, they end up getting stuck with a tier 3/4 or even a backup goalie which won't get them up towards the 164 starts, or if they do they might have to rely on bad peripheral stats. What works in my favour is that with a surplus of goalies, I'm not too worried about getting to 164 starts (unless I move all my goalies and they all get hurt at the end of the season... good one Lundy...) and I have the luxury of being able to piece together a mix "favourable" goalie starts throughout the season (2017-18: 0.911 SP at home vs. 0.905 SP on the road, 2.78 GAA at home vs. 2.98 GAA on the road), so there is a very clear distinct advantage in terms of goalie stats playing at home vs. playing on the road. Given that a difference of a SP of .919 vs .910 equated to a 8 point swing in the overall standings, and a GAA difference between 2.42 and 2.70 equated to another swing of 7 points overall, there is a very clear battle ground amongst the very tight-knit goalie stats.” In the past I just managed to annoy enough of the goalie gods that they hit me with a vengeance… last year I got owned by first-half Bob, Allen getting crushed, Crawford was out for most of the season, and Dubie was subpar… so this year I wanted to get the best goalie available then surround his stats with better support… I think the crew was onto me and I didn’t end up executing my strategy fully and I’m not too confident in this strategy for 2019-20. This might force me to instead of “sitting” unfavourable matchups and cherry-picking my starts, that I might have to burn more starts at the start of the season than usual.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Expert

Round 1
    My Pick (1) – As discussed earlier, I wanted best goalie available. Vas was clearly the consensus after reading most projections. As discussed earlier, I did ponder Ovy and McJesus, but I’m stubborn with my goalie strategy… Can’t really fault any of the first-round picks at all. Draisaitl at 6 shocked me… but FW from a LW spot is huge value… I’m not quite sure if he maintains his 20% shooting percentage…

Round 2
    My Pick (26) – Went with Stamkos, he fell a bit, C is very deep this year, and he had an ADP of 14.0, to get him at 26 is great value. Was really hoping for Rinne, but he was snagged 1 pick before my pair of picks… During my pre-draft rankings/projections, I was also hoping that Giroux with his triple eligibility would slip down here too, but was gone at 15…

Round 3
    My Pick (27) – When watching FHP videos, a lot of his drafts he emphasised picking “high end” D early as there’s slim-pickings at the bottom of the barrel… so went with Karlsson. With Pavs gone, there should be more PPP and more importantly A to spread around in SJ. He should improve upon his 20 PPP from last season. My original plan was to go 2 goalies by round 3, so I did ponder Holtby for 2 secs… but there were still a few options on the board that I thought I could have waited… Grubauer was one that was hyped up quite a bit from my research, he went really early at pick 34 when his ADP was 75, I won’t ever question Teemu as he’s a fantasy hockey juggernaut, and he probably got his guy that he wanted, but it might have been a stretch… Malkin/Bergeron were also great value picks at #35/38 respectively.

Round 4
    My Pick (52) – I knew I had to get my #2 goalie after seeing everyone I wanted to target as my 2/3 fly off the boards… Holtby/Grubauer/Hellebuyck/Gibson/Jones/Murray all go since my round 3 pick. Went with Binnington. Lots of risk and reward with this pick. We can get 2019/playoff run Binnington or we get regression, he was the last player on my tier 2 list, so had to pick him… Kane has also been hyped up a bit in banger leagues… 44th pick is a bit high, but I don’t think he would have lasted till Russ’ next pick at 61.

Round 5
    My Pick (53) – I possibly could have brain farted this one… Reached with Wilson and left Laine/Tkachuk on the board. I also thought about doing a double goalie with my back-to-back picks. But didn’t see much value with only Dubnyk, Hart, Raanta, Quick, Crawford left on the table… Here’s to Wilson getting 200+PIMs and 200 Hits

Round 6
    My Pick (78) – Thinking back to the FHP videos reminded me about the stronger D, so I went with Weber. He’s always been a fantasy beast, around 40-50 points, plus 150 HITS/BS along with 175+ SOG. Some great value in this round. I had Pavelski queued up to be sniped 2 picks before mine… at #76 great value! Doughty was also one I was targeting for the later rounds, at #72 might have been a bit high, given his 101 ADP ranking. Toews also a bit high at 75 when his ADP is 136, but in this league, you need to reach to get who you want. Peripherals aside Panarin at #73 is also great value if he can repeat what he did in CLB last year with the Rangers.

Round 7
    My Pick (79) – Probably another brain fart moment here too only because Cs are so deep this year and there’s plenty of great value in the back end of the draft, but Backstrom is always undervalued. He’s always consistent and will post around the 70-80 point mark with 25+PPP and always in the top 15ish for FW from the C position… Also a lot of buzz around Ovy possibly spending more time with Backstrom this year… Once again did think about grabbing another G at this point, but nothing really tickled my fancy. Did want to grab Hart, but Backstrom’s name factor drew me in… Ristolainen had a lot of hype surrounding him, great value at #87.

Round 8
    My Pick (104) - The “sleeper” D run came this round, a lot of my draft list was gone by the time it hit my pick. Nurse, Gost, Dahlin and Chabot all go 96th, 98th, 100th, 101st. Ended up with the younger Tkachuk. Lots of hype around him and his multi-cat monster, PIM, SOG and HITs. Interesting pick for me was Gustafsson… great 2019, will he keep it up in 2020 with Keith/Seabrook still hanging around?

Round 9
    My Pick (105) – Another brain fart-pick. With only 2 goalies picked (I wanted 3 by round 5…), I desperately wanted a goalie… had to go with Korpisalo as the well was pretty dry by then… I didn’t do much research on goalies as I thought I would have been sorted by now TBH. I knew Bob was gone, and Korpi was #2, so decided to grab him… didn’t realise his stats stunk as badly as they did in 2018/19… maybe the #1 gig will wake up his game. Left a lot of value on the table with RNH going next, then Atkinson 2 picks after… OEL and Morissey were both on my target list, but went at 111 and 116 respectively. Kopitar is also one that I had queued up, and great value by Russ at 113. If I had a do-over I think I probably would have went Schneider here…

Round 10
    My Pick (130) – Was pretty thin at RW, so I went with BPA. I wanted a high point producer here and not necessarily in need of peripheral stats, so Kessel I think is good value here. I do expect a dropoff going from the highly offensive Pens to the Yotes, but I think he does get to run his own show now like he did in TO. Plus there’s Keller, Stepan, Grabner and Soderberg there, so it’s not like they’re completely devoid of talent. Some great steals in this round that never made it to me. Faulk, Schneider, Voracek I think could be great steals as part of the middle rounds.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12