Thread: Mikheyev Research

The Great One

Default Mikheyev Research

Well I fell down a rabbit hole and burned most of an afternoon watching higight videos, reading articles and sitting through page after page of forum material on this guy. I figured the very least I can do is share my findings with dinner nation!! Some of this info might be out of date- I'm just sharing everything I found out today.

First off it looks like 30 out if 31 yes we're in on him- the big joke being that the Oilers were the only ones who weren't . Sounds like the last three were Chicago, LV, and Toronto although apparently it was always Toronto's to lose.

His stats don't look impressive but most experts/analysts agree that that's more a productive of being on a low scoring team and not having a ton of help. I'll get to it later but one thing I noticed was that he doesn't necessarily try to "go it alone" because of that. Although stickhandling and one on one play has to be considered a strength it was nice to see he was still trying to use his teamates.

Controversy alert!! He actually wears 66...

Alright i know watching highlight packages is not the best way to "scout" a guy but between that and the forums/articles that's all I really had to go on. I basically took away three things I was really impressed by:

1) As mentioned earlier, it's nice to see he wasn't trying to walk through whole teams. Although a good many highlights did show off his paralyzing one on one moves they also showed him using his teammates quite often. The catch here is that even in the highlight packages a lot of those plays died on the sticks of teammates who couldn't finish- lol! Could not help but salivate a little thinking what he could do with a "for real finisher" like AM34 on his line. To be frank even guys like Bracco or Johansson who have the IQ to at least keep the cycle, passing down low guying was great to think about.

2) The alluded to "paralyzing" moves were run to watch and another encouraging sign was how often on a breakaway he would have room to cross over but would curl in and tuck it in the smallest openings short side. Very "daysyukian" ii mo, pro move NB that takes skill, patience and confidence. Happened ok very and over again.

3) While we're on the Datsyuk comparison (Read: style not upside)- there is a clip making the rounds where he picks the oppositions pocket right before they cross their own Blueline, avoids the off side, curls back and beats the goalie with the patented aforementikned short side snipe. This meshes well with the analysis that he is an enthusiastic back checker and solid defensively. It was also very "sneaky". It had shades of Stone/Pavel in that he was so confident in the takeaway the he was already thinking three steps ahead in planning a move on the defender and getting in position to Deke the goalie. Why am I spending so much time talking about one clip? In the package he did this like 3-5 times. Not every player can do that. It's a regular part of his repertoire.

So in closing- many scouts said he was one of the better if not the best talents coming over from Europe/KHL this season. I can see why- I think there's something special here. As always it will come down to opportunity, icetime and deployment. For these reasons I believe his one year upside will be limited (40ish) but I think the skill and hockey IQ are there for much more. When Panarin broke out people were hesitant to give him credit at the time and even after the fact they wanted to credit Kane instead. I think there's a chance he gets on a scoring line by the trade deadline at which point his upside gets closer to 50 plus. His game (patient, smart, skillet) are tailor made for the powerplay although that will be a tough nut to crack. I'm not a talent hawk by any measure but I think by year two he could be a regular 55-60 point player with season to season upside from there. I think he's one of those players whose sound defensive game will actually enable his success and add to his production rather than hinder it.

Take it for what it's worth but I'm sticking him on the farm friends.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Mikheyev Research

I wonder if he was promised anything from the leafs . I'd imagine at his age he'd rather be in the nhl or khl not somewhere in between during his prime .

The Great One

I think there's a wink/wink deal where he doesn't get shipachovved! Entry level deals are 2 way by default right? That could be a problem. Also Marriner signing is great news for leafs fans but might take away some of the opportunity from mikheyev...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Mikheyev will likely be used more as a Hyman replacement if anything, I don't think the Marner signing affects his deployment. Even with Hyman back he could be used effectively on the 3rd line with Kapanen and Kerfoot, they wont blow teams out of the water but potentially could be one of the better 3rd lines in the league if they find chemistry.

As for his 2-way contract, he has a European out-clause and the KHL is in their last year of being salary cap free. His KHL team (Omsk, last years runner-up) look to be making as big of a push as they can this year. He is a NHL or a KHL player, I'd be fairly shocked if he stuck around the Marlies were he sent down.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Mikheyev will likely be used more as a Hyman replacement if anything, I don't think the Marner signing affects his deployment. Even with Hyman back he could be used effectively on the 3rd line with Kapanen and Kerfoot, they wont blow teams out of the water but potentially could be one of the better 3rd lines in the league if they find chemistry.

As for his 2-way contract, he has a European out-clause and the KHL is in their last year of being salary cap free. His KHL team (Omsk, last years runner-up) look to be making as big of a push as they can this year. He is a NHL or a KHL player, I'd be fairly shocked if he stuck around the Marlies were he sent down.
    and how about Kenny Agostino - where does he fit out of the gate

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    and how about Kenny Agostino - where does he fit out of the gate
    Gun to my head, he's in the press box with Petan or waived in favour of Bracco. 4th line is hard to get a read on. I've assumed this past season that the 4th line is a sticking point with Dubas/Babcock, I get the impression that they have conflicting ideas what that line should be. Again, gun to my head to start the season with Hyman moving Mikheyev down when he returns

Johnsson, Matthews, Nylander
    Mikheyev, Tavares, Marner
    Moore, Kerfoot, Kapanen
    Gauthier, Spezza, Shore

Petan, Agostino/Bracco

edit: Thinking about that more, the Leafs may not even be able to hold pressbox guys with the cap so tight

The Great One

Gun to my head, he's in the press box with Petan or waived in favour of Bracco. 4th line is hard to get a read on. I've assumed this past season that the 4th line is a sticking point with Dubas/Babcock, I get the impression that they have conflicting ideas what that line should be. Again, gun to my head to start the season with Hyman moving Mikheyev down when he returns

Moore, Kerfoot, Kapanen
    Gauthier, Spezza, Shore

Petan, Agostino/Bracco

edit: Thinking about that more, the Leafs may not even be able to hold pressbox guys with the cap so tight
    Rep coming when I'm at a big boy computer- lol!! I agree - especially the part about kerfoot and kapanen being solid linemates on the third line. Between that and having at least some exposure to tabs/Marner via humans role I think my 40 point projection looks solid. I'll hedge a bit and say 35 is a fair enough floor but I'm taking the gamble on the over to hit 40 plus. He'll never crack pp1 even with injuries but his playstyle screams powerplay I imagine he's one of the key guys on pp2. Also I'm reading articles that he's saying he's open to playing short handed too? That would help his overall toi and again without being too gushy his takeaway game is on fleek ala stone/Datsyuk and I could see a niche there as well.

Did I use fleek right?? Aw man I'm so hip!! Wait til I tell my kids!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Potential for 60pts really. But realistic is closer to 40pts. Guys exactly what Babcock thinks the Leafs need up front.

Guys big bodied, long reach, quick for his size but likes to slow things down a bit too much I think was his scouting report. But the fact the Leafs are hurting in cap space makes him a solid option for them as a top 6 until Hyman's back. Then it all depends on how he does in that first 15games.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Dobber Sports Titan

Watching the video of him, he’s got the same move as JT where he comes in on like a 2on1, loads the shot, opens up and cuts into the middle. He really likes doing that. His shot seems very quick off the stick, not exactly an amazingly hard shot, but quick and accurate. He loves the one move on penalty shots where he comes in on an angle, loads the shot and makes it look like he’s going forehand-backhand, but shoots it low either 5hole when it opens up, or short side.

He never has his feet standing still while he has the puck. He’s always skating hard with a purpose. Very unlike Marner, who does skate hard, but he’s more fluid. Mikheyev is like…vicious when he skates. He’s great at using his body in corners and rolling off people it seems. But KHL is not anywhere as physical as the NHL can be. So his lower body strength looks like it’ll be there for the NHL. But that’s the big question for me.

If he’s actually as strong as he looks in the video against KHLers, he’ll be solid as an NHLer. And if he shows he’s worth it in his first 15games, man, maybe he’ll be with Matthews and Nylander. That lines possession possibility would be nice.

The Great One

Notice! I wasn't aware of the point you and butch made about having a shot in humans spot to start the year. That... Is... Golden!! Lol- I love that exposure and I feel like theoretically- on paper at least- his game should mesh with tavs/Marner very well. He looks good u see the hashmarks as well which is an area Tavares really thrives. Although he doesn't crash and bang lime human does- his puck retrieval game looks top notch anyways via takeaways and clever stick wirk- by the eye test anyways. I'm not sure if the optics match the analytics but from my viewings he looked very adept at skill/stick based takeaways.

Forty-five with 10ppp or less- I'm calling it!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Notice! I wasn't aware of the point you and butch made about having a shot in humans spot to start the year. That... Is... Golden!! Lol- I love that exposure and I feel like theoretically- on paper at least- his game should mesh with tavs/Marner very well. He looks good u see the hashmarks as well which is an area Tavares really thrives. Although he doesn't crash and bang lime human does- his puck retrieval game looks top notch anyways via takeaways and clever stick wirk- by the eye test anyways. I'm not sure if the optics match the analytics but from my viewings he looked very adept at skill/stick based takeaways.

Forty-five with 10ppp or less- I'm calling it!
    I watched that youtube flick earlier in the summer then drafted him with mid round picks in 2-3 of my dynastys . He's certainly made an impression on some fantasy players but lets see if his game translates to nhl

Dobber Sports Jedi

Babcock has stated Kapanen will be replacing Hyman on the Tavares-Marner line until Hyman returns to the line up.

He also said, once Hyman returns he foresees a 3rd line of

Kapanen - Kerfoot - Mikheyev

... juicy deployment temporarily deflated.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Babcock has stated Kapanen will be replacing Hyman on the Tavares-Marner line until Hyman returns to the line up.

He also said, once Hyman returns he foresees a 3rd line of

Kapanen - Kerfoot - Mikheyev

... juicy deployment temporarily deflated.
    Babcock said Kapanen gets first crack, and he should, he earned the shot.

I still think Babcock tries to join Kapanen to Kerfoot's hip (PK/3rd line) and sticks Mikheyev where Hyman goes

Kapanen gets first shot at Tavares-Marner line in Leafs camp

“We’re going to start with Kapanen there and we’ll see what happens,” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said Saturday. “I thought Korshkov had a real good day. Big man, makes plays. What slows him down right now is, you have to understand the language. Mikheyev is another big guy that can really do it … The thing about Zach is, he’s such a good forechecker and he’s so heavy on the net. He gets those guys the puck over and over and over again, so we need someone to do that for them.”

Dobber Sports Veteran

Moore, Kerfoot, Kapanen
    Gauthier, Spezza, Shore

Petan, Agostino/Bracco

I also want to walk this back a bit. I thought Agostino played pretty well on Wednesday, I should've given him more credit to make the 4th line over the likes of Shore or Gauthier. Though Gauthier has played quite well too.