Thread: Help Crunching Numbers in a Roto Lague- REP!!

The Great One

Default Help Crunching Numbers in a Roto Lague- REP!!

So its my first roto league in a long time and even when I did play in one ages ago- calculating games played was not my forte (at all )

So were down to the last pick or two in our draft and Im wondering if I should take a bottom of the scrap heap tendy.

Our categories are pretty straight forward- looks like GAA, Sv% and wins. Weve got three active spots for tenders on any given night but a games played max of 164. i know goaltenders dont play 82 games (obviously) but 164 seems like an odd number to settle on for 3 active tender spots- lol! In any case...

Goalie- My Projected GB-

Bobo- 60
    hellboy- 55
    Rinne-50
    Mrazek-45
    Bobrovsky has averaged about 63.5 over 3 seasons- I rounded down to 60 with the idea Florida has a competent backup and might be a "load management" type of team. i didnt go lower because historically Bob seems like he prefers a workhorse load and they probably want to keep him happy. hellebyuk has averaged closer to 65 but with his struggles and with the D looking a lot softer I bet on the safer side at 55. Rinne has went 65, 60, 60, 55 (Im rounding) so the safe bet is 50-55- and Im a Saros believer so im going to go 50 here. Mrazek is a wildcard- Carolina split starts last year and he did good that way so im going to hedge and say 45.

That gets me to 210 assuming I can milk out all the starts with 3 active roster spots and that i dont hit any significant injury snags.

My options are Elliott, Nilsson, Reimer, Bernier, Hutchinson, and Stalock.

Call me crazy but Im going to flat out cut Bernier, Stalock and Hutchinson. Theyd all need a significant injury to get any serious playing time and even then theyve got internal competition that means you cant even guarantee theyll pick up the slack.

Im actually a fan of Nilsson to have some sneaky value in some leagues- but with save % rather than saves this is NOT one of those leagues.

That leaves Elliott and Reimer. I really like Elliott as young goalies like Hart can struggle in year two (I think its something called the sophomore slip? Or the second-year slip? I cant remember...) and if he does Elliott has shown the capacity to be brilliant with smaller workloads. Im also a fan of Philly improving and I think Provorov is coming into his own as an all situations (Read: Shutdown) monster!

That being said you gotta love having the handcuff in case Mrazek faulters or gets injured. On top of that Carolina is playing a fnazz-tastic defensive system. i also feel like if Im grabbing Elliott it has to be now wheras if Im grabbing Reimer I can get a gamebreaking skater like David Reppon or someone of that ilk.

A lot of words for a pretty lacklustre (borderline inconsequential) question... Elliott or Reimer? Also should I feel good about hitting 164 games played with a rotation of Bob, Hellboy, Rinne and Mrazek?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Help Crunching Numbers in a Roto Lague- REP!!

Reimer just for the handcuff, but he's not very good. You should be able to hit 164 easily between your main 4 guys, and that's a solid selection of tenders.

The Great One

Thanks Mang! Rep coming when I switch to a computer...

Dobber Sports Star

Reimer over Elliott. And even with those goalies, maxing our your G games allotment is going to take work given that they will most often play their games on the same days.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Reimer over Elliott. And even with those goalies, maxing our your G games allotment is going to take work given that they will most often play their games on the same days.
    I'm new to this so I'm not being sarcastic or snippy when I ask this: even with 3 active spots? We can start up to three a day. So only one ever has to sit on any given day...

Dobber Sports Titan

There will be a few times they're all starting on Saturdays, you'll miss some starts when you just forget to set your lineup, and there will be injuries. You probably could hit 180 starts with the guys you have, but you could just as easily hit 140.
    I would go with Elliott. More likely to get more starts, and just a better goalie than Reimer.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Elliott is better than Reimer. Reimer is better for your (handcuff) situation, but I'm not sure I really trust him.

Carolina's defensive system is solid, and Philly's should improve, but I'm skeptical of the talent "upgrade". Hart may suffer from a sophomore slump, and that would help you.

I'd lean Elliott, myself.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.