Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Byfuglien granted Leave of Absence

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Byfuglien granted Leave of Absence

IF he wants to retire, he can just say "I'm not reporting to the team" and the Jets could suspend him. Then his cap hit won't go towards their cap total and if he comes back 41games into the yr, his cap hit would only be half of what it is now (7.6mill vs 3.8).

Now, this is tricky because they have to keep it kinda hush I guess that he's in fact just stepping away for a bit vs saying he's retiring.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I won't make any assumptions about what's going on in Buff's head. I'm just glad he's actually taking steps to make that type of decision if that's how he feels. Too many people stick with the status quo despite being unhappy about what they're doing with their lives.
    One big advantage he has is about $60 mil in career earnings thus far. Some people probably don’t have that luxury.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    One big advantage he has is about $60 mil in career earnings thus far. Some people probably don’t have that luxury.
    You don't need money to make life changes

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

For sure, but having money sure does help with your options.

One guy who's happy to hear this is Evander Kane. No more threatening shower scenes.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

First - good for him and while I am certainly not privy to his thoughts or conflicts I completely empathize with his humanity. Any high value professional job comes with a never ending list of trade-offs. You need to be 100% committed to be successful and meet the demands of stakeholders and shareholders (team mates, coaches, owners, fans, etc.) - anything less and you're cheating yourself and your team (or co-workers /boss / stock holders for that oh too real world analogy). While this is killing me in the not-so real world of fantasy sports (he's my #1 guy on D in 2 keeper leagues), I applaud his honesty & authenticity at looking at the big picture of life. In the game of life and profession, you make trade offs - trade offs to your health (physical and mental), family, work-life balance, your humanity & well-being to name but a few. Take the time and space to do what's right for YOU. While I may miss you as the multi-cat stud you are - I honor your decision making process!
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Winnipeg-based TSN radio host Rick Ralph said a source told him Byfuglien “lost his love for the game.”

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    For sure, but having money sure does help with your options.
    Yes and no. Depends on personal values. If he walks away he'd also be giving up fame, travel, thousands paying to see him every game, adrenaline, competition, etc.

Meanwhile this website actually became a thing when someone wasn't happy with his situation and did something about it.

Money helps but you can't afford to live miserable, no matter the cost. If you're driven you'll figure out how to survive financially.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yes and no. Depends on personal values. If he walks away he'd also be giving up fame, travel, thousands paying to see him every game, adrenaline, competition, etc.

Meanwhile this website actually became a thing when someone wasn't happy with his situation and did something about it.

Money helps but you can't afford to live miserable, no matter the cost. If you're driven you'll figure out how to survive financially.
    Yeah, but if Buff had to choose between playing hockey or pumping gas/working at a fast food restaurant, it MIGHT change his thought process. I doubt he was miserable, but the guy was legendary for putting on the pounds in the off-season, so my guess would be that he didn't want to go through that, so he didn't. Just an uneducated guess. I am happy for him if he packs it in. Can't put enough emphasis on doing what makes you happy or the inverse, not doing what makes you unhappy.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Yeah, but if Buff had to choose between playing hockey or pumping gas/working at a fast food restaurant, it MIGHT change his thought process. I doubt he was miserable, but the guy was legendary for putting on the pounds in the off-season, so my guess would be that he didn't want to go through that, so he didn't. Just an uneducated guess. I am happy for him if he packs it in. Can't put enough emphasis on doing what makes you happy or the inverse, not doing what makes you unhappy.
    Five years ago I was unhappy at a job and I left them. My choices were not status quo or pumping gas. I moved to a better job. People's choices are not that limited. Limiting beliefs limit your potential. Worst case you pump gas to pick up cash while building towards something better. Unless you are really passionate about pumping gas... then go pump gas till the cows come home!

Anyway, I think we're getting a bit too philosophical for the scope of this thread...

Dobber Sports Jedi

With the tole his body has taken.. I wouldn't be surprised if the reasons he's contemplating next steps are similar to Lou's.
    he rigors of prepping for the season & daily grind.
    Love the game or not... that can take its toll
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Anyway, I think we're getting a bit too philosophical for the scope of this thread...
    Never! And honestly, you never know when someone might read your words and realize you are right. Positivity, no matter how philosophical, is never a bad thing!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Some of the most fun I had at a job was doing merchandising at a Shoppers Drug Mart. If money wasn't an issue i would love to go back to that lol.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Unfortunately/fortunately, that's a very privileged thing to be able to say.
    Lucky you!

Buff definitely... definitely... has a luxury of decision-making here that 99%+ of the population does not have at age 34.

The Great One

The big Cadillac needs an oil change

Dobber Sports Guru

An updaet from Bob McKenzie on Twitter:

WPG has suspended Dustin Byfuglien for failing to report to camp. If he doesn’t report by opening day, WPG loses his cap hit until he does report.
    Not nearly as ominous as it sounds. WPG still wants Byfuglien back but needs to protect roster and cap flexibility until they know his intentions.
    The paperwork has been filed but it can be reversed at any time and it’s not something that would come as any surprise to Byfuglien. In the meantime, WPG waits while he ponders his future.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid