Thread: [Re-signed] Ivan Provorov

Dobber Sports Guru

Default [Re-signed] Ivan Provorov

From Bib McKenzie on Twitter:

Sounds like PHI and RFA D Ivan Provorov have agreed to terms on a six year contract.

$6.75M AAV for Provorov. He reports to camp tomorrow and will sign the contract.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Provorov re-signs with Philly

Brilliant. Another solid deal for a Dman.

If only forwards can follow suit and sign rational deals too.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I may be biased, but I think the Flyers are gonna look at this deal in 3 years time and think they have a steal!!

i love it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

I think this is about right. 7 mill+ and I think people would say Philly got ripped off a little bit and should have tried to get him on a longer deal or cheaper aav. 5.5-6.25ish and I think people would be losing their minds about how good a deal it was to get him locked up for 6 years at that number. So the deal slightly rich to start but you are going to like it pretty quickly. Right around where it should be I think - Philly could have got him down maybe a little bit more but they avoid a holdout and any side effects that that can bring.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Administrator

I don't love this deal when contrasted with the Morrissey deal. Obviously, most of the negotiations took place without that comparable, but still, Provorov's deal comes in at a slightly higher cap percentage, it kicks in a year earlier, is two years shorter and buys fewer UFA years. He's also not quite as good.

Some comparables for Provorov (22 y/o - 2019-20 - 6 years at 8.3% of the cap):

Morrissey - 25 y/o - 2020-21 - 8 years at 7.7% of the cap (after a two-year bridge)
    Lindell - 25 y/o - 2019-20 - 6 years at 7.3% of the cap (after a two-year bridge)
    Theodore - 23 y/o - 2018-19 - 7 years at 6.5% of the cap
    Dumba - 24 y/o - 2018-19 - 5 years at 7.5% of the cap (after a two-year bridge)
    Jones - 22 y/o - 2016-17 - 6 years at 7.4% of the cap
    Hanifin - 21 y/o - 2018-19 - 6 years at 6.2% of the cap

I could go on with more examples of even larger bargains. This can still age well, but much less margin for error than a lot of the above options.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

This strikes me as paying for potential and/or name value considering Provorov was such a high pick. I don't think many deals will look great when compared to Morrissey.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Solid deal for sure(especially for the Provorov camp). One by one the 2nd tier of RFAs are getting sighned and with that
    we are getting closer to the big show...
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Re-signed] Ivan Provorov

https://twitter.com/BroadStHockey/st...806360579?s=19

Ivan Provorov signs six year, $40.5M extension (that’s $6.75M per year) with Flyers. The wait is finally over, folks! https://t.co/25z1LyJCGO
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [Re-signed] Ivan Provorov

i think its a steal for Provorov (based on recent production) right now and should be steal for Flyers in 2-3 years..that is how these deals should work...both parties win at some point in the deal..

its like trading veterans for prospects/picks....team getting a veteran wins right away..and team getting youth has a chance to be a winner in few years..
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Provorov > Morrissey, IMO... with looking towards the future.
    (And let's not forget that there is TWO years of developmental difference... Morrissey is there, at 24... Provorov is still improving, at 22, and I think he'll be "there", fully, by end of this season.)

I think it's a very solid deal for the Flyers.
    Provorov's numbers from last year are not good, but most PHI faithful see him as a real deal bonafide #1 do-it-all defensemen.
    His 17/18 numbers were good, mostly playing 5-on-5 with Ghost.
    Last year, he had to play with Robert Hagg (an enormous drag on stats, as Flyers fans know) and Sanheim - who is excellent, but playing Lefty-Lefty is often an adjustment for a young pairing.
    (And yes, it was Sanheim who made the big sacrifice, working his LH stick onto the R side... but it's still an adjustment for both partners to learn to pass & move with an off-stick-side)

Morrissey (L) played practically his entire 18/19 with Jacob Trouba (R) - and Trouba was really coming into his own, with a huge contract (knowingly) on the line.
    I mean... that's a solid pair.
    Does that pairing exist any more? Nope - Morrissey (L) will have a new D-pairing this year...
    So we may see Morrissey's numbers fall in the same manner that Provorov's fell with a change in D-partner.

Eval-ing D is really, really, REALLY tough... because they get anchored and pulled up or down based on quality of that D-partner.
    I'd bet that if Provorov plays another full season with Sanheim, we'll see numbers for him that (significantly) exceed what Morrissey puts up.
    And then... we can re-explore the stats in a Trouba-gone world!

My 2 cents.
    I wish the Flyers could've gotten an 8yr contract on Provorov... but I think the $6.75m cap hit is a beauty number for a young Flyers team needing to hand out RFA contacts over next 3-5 years for the kids rising.

The Magnificent One

Provorov was a 40 point d-man last season, but for his sub 30% IPP. Had it been the average of his first two seasons he's have netted 16 more points. This i a good deal now and stands to be superb in the future.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Provorov was a 40 point d-man last season, but for his sub 30% IPP. Had it been the average of his first two seasons he's have netted 16 more points. This i a good deal now and stands to be superb in the future.
    Provorov scored 26 points last season and played all 82 games...had 41 season before that...so i think safe assumption is somewhere in the middle but he does have lots of upside still.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones