Thread: Hey i won me some FAs!! Tell me about them...

The Great One

Default Hey i won me some FAs!! Tell me about them...

So I missed out on three of the big ones I wanted Hirose, Verroneau, and Kaski- but I ended up with some intriguing ones none the less. This is a very deep salary cap dynasty. Full 27 man pro roster, 27 man farm roster as\nd then a seperate junior roster for draft picks thats safe for 3 years. I had lots of room and these three fit comfortably. Our salary cap is 30 mil above the actual NHL cap.

My priority pick went to Mikheyev. Then I got Nygard on the back of Hirose, Verroneau, Kaski using other teams waiver priority. I was literally the only team who put in a bid for Sturm :P

Ilya Mikheyev- 925 k- one year- I know hes boom/bust but does he have 50 point potential? Im a leafs fan so itll be neat to watch him play too :P. Does a Marner holdout help him? Any PP opportunity? What was his KHL career like?

Joakim Nygard- 925k- one year- I know hes likely even boomier and bustier. On one hand I think hes definitively projected for bottom six minutes. On the other hand hes an outside candidate to be the next in line of the "Rattie Effect". oilers seem desperate to find scoring- if he has even an ounce of chemistry with McD he might go supernova-ish. His game is predicated on speed- thats a good start...

Nico Sturm- 875k- one year- Our league counts pims and SHP so there is some room for versatility type guys. Apparently a bit of a gritty player with captain-type qualities- hes almost assuredly going to be in the bottom six. That being said if he can provide a sog-heavy 35-40ish points with pim contributions he makes for a decent injury replacement. A nuance of our system is that players two million and under dont have to clear waivers when being demoted so he can technically sub in for free (all three of these guys can) and be demoted back to the farm once my actiove roster is healthy again. Of the three hes more of an investment I think- Im hoping in a couple years after acclimating to the NHL he might develop into something more than he is now. He has consistently found a way to outwork his projections in his career. i like players like that.

Rep gun definitely loaded for this post! One of the most exciting FA drafts Ive done in awhile. My team is a contender I believe and depth is what killed me last year- so even cheap40-50 point assets would be HUGE additions if they pan out that way- and I am aware Id need a huge lucky bounce for any of these guys to hit 50 this year...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Hey i won me some FAs!! Tell me about them...

Can't really comment on Nygard... unfamiliar

Sturm's probably your best bet to stay a NHL regular. 3rd liner meat potatoes kind of guy.

Mikheyev is going to be given an opportunity in camp to fight A. Johnsson for a wing spot next to Matthews & Nylander.

Marner affects him not. Babs has said he expects Kapanen to play with JT until Marner is signed.
    If he can play both wings... perhaps that opens the possibility of filling in for Hyman until he returns from injury in Nov/Dec.

My expectation... Johnsson wins the battle for Matthews wing.

Mikheyev ends up mostly on 3rd line with Kerfoot & Kapanen (once full line up is in place) and gets PP2 time.
    He has 50pt potential. Yet, I think 40ish is more reasonable to expect from that 3rd line.
    That said, Tor will score a lot this year. a 3rd line of 50pt players isn't impossible to imagine
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Sturm's probably your best bet to stay a NHL regular. 3rd liner meat potatoes kind of guy.

Mikheyev is going to be given an opportunity in camp to fight A. Johnsson for a wing spot next to Matthews & Nylander.

Marner affects him not. Babs has said he expects Kapanen to play with JT until Marner is signed.
    If he can play both wings... perhaps that opens the possibility of filling in for Hyman until he returns from injury in Nov/Dec.

Mikheyev ends up mostly on 3rd line with Kerfoot & Kapanen (once full line up is in place) and gets PP2 time.
    He has 50pt potential. Yet, I think 40ish is more reasonable to expect from that 3rd line.
    That said, Tor will score a lot this year. a 3rd line of 50pt players isn't impossible to imagine
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Thats great news! A definitive shot at L2 is huge but honestly that L3 comp doesnt sound too shabby either. Kerfoot and Kapanen with pp2 would be ok. Anything close to 50 points is a big win especially at that price point.

im stoked on Sturm too but I feel like its a couple years before we start to see any of his (modest) offensive upside (ala Bozak)

Dobber Sports Stud

Heponieni avail? He’s maybe one injury from being relevant this year, but that’s how NHL prospects get their shot...
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Heponieni avail? He’s maybe one injury from being relevant this year, but that’s how NHL prospects get their shot...
    Sadly no- Im a hepo fan but there are two problems. The GM who owns him is one of those guys who loves collecting all the shiny new prospects with the hype so prying hepo out of his grasp would be difficult to say the least AND i dont love Hepo in multi-cat leagues. i think he'll do fine in Florida as his playmaking style will be well situated on a team that has legit scoring three lines deep- but i think he projects to be a pretty one-dimensional finessy playmaker which doesnt get rewarded especially well in this format. So id have to pay out the nose for what would end up as a relatively luke warm return (even if he did bust out for 45+)

The Great One

In the immortal words of Evgeny "fly like an eagle" Kuznetsov...

Bump?

Dobber Sports Novice

Emu or anyone else reading...when u say u won FA...is this after the draft and filling ur team out? If so how does this work basically u do ur draft then once draft is over all team's put claims in our players? Order is produced by? Sorry newbie here

The Great One

Our league is a bit funny cause it's so damn deeo- 28 pro players 28 farm players and 3 years of entry drafts (no limit on amount of picks you can aacrue). And it's a full keeper dynasty so you keep everyone- lol! In our league we shut off claims for the playoffs and summer and then people make cuts to their farm to promote entry picks that are being promoted (these guys are usual compete garbage though). So you get late signing like hirise or summer fa signing like kaski verroneau sghuldt and the guys I got that are all left. Instead of just a "first come first serve basis" we all out in our lists in the order we want them and then the finish runs each player through the waiver process and adjusts it until they're all spoken for. I feel like there's a way you can game the system but I just put in my claims and im really happy with who I got. The guy who got horse did a pretty impactful trade to get the #1 oa waiver priority which makes more sense in hindsight... Does this explain it? Likely unique to big clumsy formats like my league