Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: League Has ONE Active Goalie Slot - Draft Backup, or Second Starter? REP Given!

Dobber Sports Pro

Question League Has ONE Active Goalie Slot - Draft Backup, or Second Starter? REP Given!

For team in sig, I've got Jones as a keeper and am trying to decide who to draft as my other goalie. The Same Night Tool suggests the Rangers or Wings as the best fits, but even those two have 42 and 44 conflicts. I know the true number won't really be quite that high since some of those nights the backups will be playing, but that's still a LOT of conflicts.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just pick up Dell instead of another starter. Our league has 13 rounds of drafting, but my lowest pick is the end of the 6th round. I am certain that at least one of Lundqvist and Mrazek will still be there for my last pick, and Dell FOR SURE will be, as no backup really ever gets drafted in out league (12 teams, generally always 2 teams per goalie).

I can't quite wrap my head all the way around the math, but here's the general question: In a ONE goalie slot league, is it better to have a starter and backup on the same good team, OR is it better to have two starters, and just deal with their conflicts as they come? Thanks for your help!
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Schiefele
    LW - Draisaitl, Fiala, Meier
    RW - ​​Marner, Barzal, Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey, Dunn, Matheson
    G - Skinner
    B - Marchessault, Caufield, Saros

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson, Andersson, Letang
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B - Mateychuk
    M - Cooley, Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: League Has ONE Active Goalie Slot - Draft Backup, or Second Starter? REP Given!

Question: At this point, do you know what goalies will be available in the first round? I am thinking that having Jones as you #2 is probably the move, especially as you have 6 picks in the top 24.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: League Has ONE Active Goalie Slot - Draft Backup, or Second Starter? REP Given!

If you're going to use a bench spot on a player. I want to maximize that value as much as possible. Gotta be a starter for me.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Question: At this point, do you know what goalies will be available in the first round? I am thinking that having Jones as you #2 is probably the move, especially as you have 6 picks in the top 24.
    The top goalies available in the draft will be: Hellebuyck (50 out of 82 games conflict), Hart (48 conflicts), Rask (49), Dubnyk (52), Murray (49), Grubauer (51) and Rinne (55).

Some good goalies, but if there are THAT many nights I can only play one of them and the other is wasting away riding the pine, I have a hard time thinking it'd be a good idea to draft another good starter with an early pick and missing out on a good winger instead (I've only got one winger keeper this year).

Goalies aren't the be-all and end-all in our league, as even the very best ones only end up with 80-85 points. The not-so-good ones who are starters on bad teams will still likely end with about 55 points. That's why I'm leaning towards picking a second goalie with my last pick in the draft (still just 6th round), but I can't decide between Dell and, say, Lundqvist (best in the league for Jones, as there are only 42 conflicts). Thoughts on that?
    G - Skinner

F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, Nylander, M. Tkachuk, Guentzel, Pavelski, Duchene, Nyqvist, Rossi
    B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Titan

I wouldn't draft any. Use your picks on high end skaters, and then when a bench slot opens up in the next couple of weeks, pick up Dell.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Howard is the starter for Detroit, not Mrazek (CAR).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Great point! That idea was just starting to dance around in my head a tiny bit (since we have 4 IR+ spots and likely someone will be hurt early on). It might sound risky to some outsiders, haha, but I know my league well and backups are NEVER drafted. Honestly there will even be some low level starters available to pick up for free.

Think I'd be better off picking up Dell, or someone like Hutton or Mrazek who will likely be unkept? Or just say screw it and roster an extra forward? It's not like one of our 5 bench spots HAS to be held by a goalie - there are no positional requirements for our bench at all. No one has ever done that before, but I'm trying to second guess my old assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I wouldn't draft any. Use your picks on high end skaters, and then when a bench slot opens up in the next couple of weeks, pick up Dell.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Howard is the starter for Detroit, not Mrazek (CAR).
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Genius

@SVB - You talk about conflicts like each goalies is going to play 82 games. Be careful you aren't ignoring the grey areas.

Hellebuyck is the guy (IMHO) from that list. To answer your question, in your format I would rather have two starters than a tandem.

Dobber Sports Jedi

depending on settings... one option not being discussed.
    depends on the answer to this question:

how many moves are you allowed per week/year?

If it's high, you can stream back ups when they start - effectively carrying a floater G/streaming slot.

Dobber Sports Pro

You're totally right - which is why I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about a second goalie. I know there will be nights both teams are scheduled to play but one plays their backup, but I guess I was wondering if this would happen enough to make it worth drafting another good starter versus another skater (maybe a dual position forward would end up getting me more points, if I could get him in the lineup most nights)?

I would love to have Helle as well, but I need to weight the opportunity lost in not choosing some fairly high-end winger in the first or second round.

@SVB - You talk about conflicts like each goalies is going to play 82 games. Be careful you aren't ignoring the grey areas.

Hellebuyck is the guy (IMHO) from that list. To answer your question, in your format I would rather have two starters than a tandem.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Pro

15 free agent pickups per year, so no streaming for me! Otherwise a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    depending on settings... one option not being discussed.
    depends on the answer to this question:

how many moves are you allowed per week/year?

If it's high, you can stream back ups when they start - effectively carrying a floater G/streaming slot.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Pro

One other thing I hadn't considered until now - should I keep Marchessault instead of Jones, and just grab one or two goalies late? He's dual eligible, C/LW.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Genius

@SVB - I guess this is a good time to put this in print. I like to remind myself (and others if they will listen) of these two nuggets when assigning value to goaltenders.

"Goaltending rarely wins you a championship, but it certainly will cost you one."

"Goaltending is only expensive when you need one"

Personally I like to have ample goaltending and to never be in the position where I am hunting down replacement goalies.

Dobber Sports Pro

This was DEFINITELY the right time to put this in print! Thanks for that. I probably shouldn't just give up on goalies completely, haha.

@SVB - I guess this is a good time to put this in print. I like to remind myself (and others if they will listen) of these two nuggets when assigning value to goaltenders.

"Goaltending rarely wins you a championship, but it certainly will cost you one."

"Goaltending is only expensive when you need one"

Personally I like to have ample goaltending and to never be in the position where I am hunting down replacement goalies.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Jedi

This is a format Jones is good in as a G own... not sure the upside is there to justify keeping March over him

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This is a format Jones is good in as a G own... not sure the upside is there to justify keeping March over him
    THanks for this input. I think I'll keep Jones then. Decent chance I can redraft Marchessault.
    G - Skinner

B - Mateychuk