Thread: Dobbernomics 2019-20

I...am your father.

Default Dobbernomics 2019-20

The game is now open for registration. I apologize for not re-launching this. The relaunches of Dobber Sports and DobberHockey have taken a little longer than planned (DobberHockey hopefully by the weekend).

So I have all these nice prizes to give away to winners of Dobbernomics for this year, but not a new platform to really push it. It's a shame. But we will work on it over the year and run a test game at midseason, and hopefully have it ready to roll next summer.

www.dobbernomics.com
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Dobbernomics 2019-20

Was this issue from last year resolved or even explained?

This was the day 2 leaderboard.
    313 Team Harambe -3.00 $56.23 Valid
    313 The Tortorellas -4.20 $53.96 Valid
    153 julian90 7.70 $53.06 Valid
    241 Cameron's Canadiens 2.29 $51.56 Invalid
    313 Wedgeee -4.80 $50.87 Valid

This makes no sense since no player had a change in value of greater than 0.02 according to what I could find searching through the players list. 12 players per team with a max increase of 0.02 leads to the biggest possible value increase of 0.24.

Dobber Sports Master

doesnt recognize my password 2 years in a row . I'll try again in 2020

Dobber Sports Recruit

Hi... New to the boards AND to dobbernomics... been a customer for the guides for 3 years now...

Wondering this: In my league where I just created a team, there are 2 teams that are listed at valued $52.0 and $51.5... How is this possible since not a single game has been played yet in the season ? I'm sure it's just something I don't understand in the rules, but I was under the impression that there are no trades allowed before the start of the season and that there ar no value fluctuation either ?

thanks

Dobber Sports Icon

Last year there were teams that had valuations of $56 after 1 day which did not make sense either. There are some inherent problems with the game that have not yet been resolved.

Dobber Sports Titan

How's everyone's team doing thus far?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Was this issue from last year resolved or even explained?

This was the day 2 leaderboard.
    313 Team Harambe -3.00 $56.23 Valid
    313 The Tortorellas -4.20 $53.96 Valid
    153 julian90 7.70 $53.06 Valid
    241 Cameron's Canadiens 2.29 $51.56 Invalid
    313 Wedgeee -4.80 $50.87 Valid

This makes no sense since no player had a change in value of greater than 0.02 according to what I could find searching through the players list. 12 players per team with a max increase of 0.02 leads to the biggest possible value increase of 0.24.
    I didn't catch this last year, but this year I was ON IT! Went over it hard each of the first three days and made sure things adjusted properly. I believe the max daily change is now 0.04 now though, as I had suggestions to increase volatility.

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    doesnt recognize my password 2 years in a row . I'll try again in 2020
    Passwords are done through Dobber Sports. There was a window at the beginning where passwords changed over the summer didn't get caught by Dobbernomics. This is because we forgot to sync the new shop to Dobbernomics. This was rectified so if you change a password on Dobber Sports now, it will be changed for Dobbernomics. You can still join late, and frankly you wouldn't be far behind me as I am off to a horrible start

Quote Originally Posted by tedhebert View Post
    Hi... New to the boards AND to dobbernomics... been a customer for the guides for 3 years now...

Wondering this: In my league where I just created a team, there are 2 teams that are listed at valued $52.0 and $51.5... How is this possible since not a single game has been played yet in the season ? I'm sure it's just something I don't understand in the rules, but I was under the impression that there are no trades allowed before the start of the season and that there ar no value fluctuation either ?

thanks
    These were caught and fixed on Day 2. And partially explains what happened last year too. Something to do with a small window that had opened by mistake and adjusted values, and some people jumped on it with their unlimited transactions and started doing trades.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Last year there were teams that had valuations of $56 after 1 day which did not make sense either. There are some inherent problems with the game that have not yet been resolved.
    Caught it this year, and all future seasons I will be watching closely. Though I hope that with the relaunched site there won't be errors like this.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    How's everyone's team doing thus far?
    I'm doing pretty terrible. I usually like to choose a good team, make very few changes early on (try to limit to 2 transactions per week) and then save all my transactions for the final quarter. But this year my team started crap: Kakko, Tarasenko, etc. So not only did I start slow, but I burned most of my transactions to try to fix it.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I'm doing pretty terrible. I usually like to choose a good team, make very few changes early on (try to limit to 2 transactions per week) and then save all my transactions for the final quarter. But this year my team started crap: Kakko, Tarasenko, etc. So not only did I start slow, but I burned most of my transactions to try to fix it.
    First year in it, and I was planning on using 4-5 transactions per week to maximize some value where I can find it. Points and cap are going up steadily, but that's a fair point that some of you may just be sleeping and waiting for a mass of transactions at the end to make some noise.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Recruit

First year for me too... Doing not so bad I think... 21st overall, 1st in my league (#241)...

Having a lot of fun with it so far, though you can tell I'm new at it cause I forgot that trades stacked up, so I,ve been spending all 5 all the time so far lol

Still having a little difficulty understanding the intricacies of value calculations, but hey...

Thanks for this game, Dobber ! Really enjoy it !

Dobber Sports Icon

My team is doing terrible as per usual but I do have a suggestion to make the game even better. Right now the biggest complaint I have is that very few players ever change value since there are only 641 teams with 12 players per team. That means at any one time only 7692 players are owned. There are 700 or so players in the NHL at any one time which means that most players are probably on less than 12 teams in the entire Dobbernomics Nation. With each team only being able to make 5 transactions per week, there are way too many players who's value won't change at all over the course of the season. This defeats the entire purpose of this type of league.

I just did some quick counting and it looks like as of today, 398 players had their values change since the start of the season.

The solution: stats earned should also affect player valuations. I don't know how to make that work but until the registration numbers of the league increase significantly, this small change makes a lot of sense to me.