Thread: Flames sign Michael Stone, after buying him out....

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Flames sign Michael Stone, after buying him out....

Weird. Does this mean he's getting an extra $700K, on top of the salary they have already paid him???

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...403319808?s=19

#Flames have signed defenceman Michael Stone to a one-year, $700,000 contract.

Stone was bought out earlier this summer but is back for another year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Flames sign Michael Stone, after buying him out....

This explains it I guess. I find it odd that they can re-sign him after buying him out though.

https://twitter.com/KdotAnderson/sta...273935360?s=19

Stone will make $3.5-million+$700,000 this year. #Flames had originally bought him out this summer to save cap space (US$2.33-million). Technically now, he's on the books for US$1.167-million+$700,000 for 2019-20.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is the contract he should've been given 2 years ago.

Administrator

When the cap situation is tight and they need D depth, beggars can't be choosers...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Does this mean he will be getting 2 paycheques from the Flames. I am sure both their accountants and his accountants are not liking that very much!

The NHLPA cannot be happy about how this is working out. I can see them filing a grievance with the league as they can say that the Flames forced an NHLPA member to renegotiate a contract.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah, I thought a player bought out could not sign with the same team afterwards. This seems fishy.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Administrator

The CBA allows this. Plus I think the NHLPA would be in favor of this anyway. Buyouts are a part of the game and Stone was allowed to negotiate with every team post-buyout. No limitations. The outcome is he has a one-way NHL contract.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Yeah, I thought a player bought out could not sign with the same team afterwards. This seems fishy.
    That was only for compliance buyouts. This rule does not apply for regular buyouts.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Too many buyouts haha!
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Sage

Valimakis injury must have prompted this very odd move. Stone is probably pretty happy about it. He gets another $700K to play where he was already planning to, and doesnt have to go to Switzerland or Russia now.

Dobber Sports Pro

It's a $700K insurance policy. Hopefully he won't be playing much.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Does this mean he will be getting 2 paycheques from the Flames. I am sure both their accountants and his accountants are not liking that very much!

The NHLPA cannot be happy about how this is working out. I can see them filing a grievance with the league as they can say that the Flames forced an NHLPA member to renegotiate a contract.
    There's no renegotiation here. He got paid, and now he gets paid again. Only odd thing is that the team that bought him out is doing the paying again. A buyout isn't like a cut of a non-guaranteed contract.

That contract buyout could trigger a lump sum payment, so it might not be exactly two paychecks.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.