Thread: Did Malkin force Kessel out of PIT?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Did Malkin force Kessel out of PIT?

Interesting read.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1829829

Pittsburgh Penguins superstar Evgeni Malkin may have influenced the club's decision to ship former linemate Phil Kessel to the Arizona Coyotes.

The Russian sniper asked to be traded if the Penguins kept Kessel, multiple team sources told The Athletic's Rob Rossi, though Malkin denied it when asked and said his friendship with Kessel is real.

Malkin was tired of feeling caught in the ongoing conflict between his linemate and Pittsburgh head coach Mike Sullivan, multiple team and league sources told Rossi. "By the end of last season, everybody from ownership to management to coaches believed Kessel had to go for Malkin to stay," Rossi wrote.

Kessel joined the club ahead of the 2015-16 campaign, and his incredible on-ice chemistry with Malkin played a pivotal role in the Penguins capturing back-to-back Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.

Malkin believed Kessel was content with two titles and mostly interested in his statistics, and the 33-year-old worried he'd be seen in the same light if the American remained his winger, according to Rossi's team and league sources.

The Penguins traded Kessel to the Coyotes on June 30 in exchange for forward Alex Galchenyuk and defense prospect Pierre-Olivier Joseph.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Did Malkin force Kessel out of PIT?

Dobber Sports Titan

I read the Athletic article before I saw this one, and the Athletic's was much better, while not pointing Malkin out as the only reason Kessel was traded.

I think it probably played a part, and we'll never know how big or small, but I also don't think Malkin was the biggest factor.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I did, but don't know how many subscribe to The Athletic so I shared this instead.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

his incredible on-ice chemistry with Malkin played a pivotal role in the Penguins capturing back-to-back Stanley Cups in 2016 and 2017.

I
    really liked this line, forgetting the fact Kessel spent the majority of the playoffs on the 3rd line with Hagelin & Bonino... NOT Malkin.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I did, but don't know how many subscribe to The Athletic so I shared this instead.
    I subscribed over the weekend and I'm enjoying it so far . I'm trying to find older articles by Pronman to see his 2019 draft rankings / opinions on the draftees etc. but when I select his articles they only go so far back .....

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I subscribed over the weekend and I'm enjoying it so far . I'm trying to find older articles by Pronman to see his 2019 draft rankings / opinions on the draftees etc. but when I select his articles they only go so far back .....
    Technically, that's correct. But you can still get his older articles. For example, if you google "pronman top draft prospects 2018", then you'll get links to all of his main material from the 2018 draft. Click on those links and you'll get the articles.

The Great One

A bunch of bullshit IMO

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    A bunch of bullshit IMO
    Ditto.. Man, let's get real hockey stories back already.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Geno , maybe your less lonely if wife and kids lived with you in PIT during the season instead of your miami suburb second home .