Thread: What draft position would you rather have?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default What draft position would you rather have?

Thought about this the other day when I got offered to trade draft positions with someone else.

In a 12 team league, I was offered to take the 3rd position in exchange for 10th. At first, it seemed good, but then I thought about the snaking draft - is it worth taking 3 overall if your next pick isn’t until pick 22? Or would pick 10 and 15 be better?

What is the ideal draft position? I guess it depends on league settings but is there a tier of players that are really worth taking early at the risk of missing 2 elite players a tier below? What is the drop off like?
    Yahoo! H2H, Daily Starts, Min 3 G starts/Week, Max 2 Pick Ups/Week.

1 Year,12 Team
    G, A, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

2 C: JT Miller, Giroux
    3 W: B. Tkatchuk, Toffoli, S. Reinhart
    4 D: Hamilton, Heiskanen, Nurse, Sanheim
    2 G: Venecek, Jarry
    4 BN: Wilson, Nelson, Svechnikov, Barkov
    2 IR: Meier

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: What draft position would you rather have?

Quote Originally Posted by vonderpibe View Post
    Thought about this the other day when I got offered to trade draft positions with someone else.

In a 12 team league, I was offered to take the 3rd position in exchange for 10th. At first, it seemed good, but then I thought about the snaking draft - is it worth taking 3 overall if your next pick isn’t until pick 22? Or would pick 10 and 15 be better?

What is the ideal draft position? I guess it depends on league settings but is there a tier of players that are really worth taking early at the risk of missing 2 elite players a tier below? What is the drop off like?
    Most would probably want the guarantee of a top 4 pick this year, but I've always liked drafting at the end (pick 10-12). Not only does the round 1-2 turn give you 2 top 15 players, but the 3-4 turn assures you 2 more top 40 players. Good to accumulate, rather than depend on 1

Dobber Sports Titan

I would rather 3 than 10 this year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd rather have 3rd overall.

At 3rd overall you can get MacKinnon (or Ovechkin if you prefer him). By 10th overall Kuch, McDavid, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, Crosby, Burns, and Vasilevskiy are all likely taken. After these picks the pool of next best available players is wider, imo.

This year, I think if I'm outside the top 7 picks I'll be disappointed. Not a big deal but my preference is top 7 pick.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm just happy to be playing the game.

- I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"