Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Friedman: "...Ongoing conversations between CAR and ANA about a Justin Faulk trade"

The Great One

Default Re: Friedman: "...Ongoing conversations between CAR and ANA about a Justin Faulk trade"

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    By the looks of it, he got a ton, as 85.7% of his PP minutes consisted of him being the only defensemen on the ice, which I believe correlates to PP1 since Carolina used 4F on its top unit nearly all season.
    If the canes are running a 4F PP then 85.7% of his time being the only D means nothing. Unless we’re sure the PP2 was always 2D and 3F. Like I said, I’m not saying Faulk is a superstar but to paint this potential trade as a piece of mediocre garbage for a future superstar is a bit myopic.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Friedman: "...Ongoing conversations between CAR and ANA about a Justin Faulk trade"

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...L&situation=PP

51% of the time Faulk was the only Carolina D on the ice. The next closest combination was Hamilton-Slavin at 30%. That makes up 81% of the total Carolina PP ice time. Faulk was the PP1 lone defencemen, and he was not very good at it. He's at best an average #4, and that's really best case scenario. Is Kase a future superstar? Likely no, but he's a very good top 6 forward who provides strong results across all facets of the game and makes significantly less money. It's not Rask for Neiderreiter, but it's actually pretty close.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    If the canes are running a 4F PP then 85.7% of his time being the only D means nothing. Unless we’re sure the PP2 was always 2D and 3F. Like I said, I’m not saying Faulk is a superstar but to paint this potential trade as a piece of mediocre garbage for a future superstar is a bit myopic.
    Faulk was mostly working with the PP1 unit last season. Mediocre doesn't mean garbage, not sure why you would equate those terms. Mediocre means he's average, which is borne out in the numbers. Given his role and minutes, his production is just average, and as you have seen above the defensive contributions aren't positive.

I also never said Kase was going to be a future superstar, but he's definitely a young, quality winger who drives possession, chances, scores goals, and has positive defensive impacts to boot. His per-game production has been very good the last couple seasons on an upward trajectory, and with consistent deployment and a clean bill of health he could really have a breakout season. I don't think I'm telling tales out of school here or anything.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd call him a decent 3/4, not a 1/2. The fact he's right handed boosts his value in today's NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd call him a decent 3/4, not a 1/2. The fact he's right handed boosts his value in today's NHL.
    That's exactly how I would characterize him when I say "mediocre." He's a decent second-pair, or a good third-pairing guy who can drive shots and chances both 5v5 and on the PP. Not totally useless, but definitely overvalued and miscast.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You guys watch Canes games? Great talk and numbers on this thread right here, Carolina has landed a few shrewd moves recently that even makes skeptics like me smile. Faulk for Kase would indeed benefit Carolina, and I am hoping to see it. Faulk is a solid dman no doubt, but he's thrown out there all the time and so naturally, half-asses a lot in his own zone (most especially as heavy pressure is applied). He can be brutal to watch on the PP with how passive and predictable he can be sometimes. I would be happy with the move, which now means it shall not come to pass.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Giant

Apparently Faulk and Anaheim are working on an extension, which will determine whether Faulk waives. Pretty sure Anaheim is willing to do the deal even without an extension, but Faulk is looking to get paid naturally.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Apparently Faulk and Anaheim are working on an extension, which will determine whether Faulk waives. Pretty sure Anaheim is willing to do the deal even without an extension, but Faulk is looking to get paid naturally.
    For sure and was anyone else a little surprised at the report that Faulk was looking to command north of 6.5 on his next deal? Gardiner gets 4.05 AAV but somehow Faulk gets 7? I don't think so man.. I don't see much in Faulk's game that would justify more than what Myers or Gardiner got on AAV..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

The Great One

What would a move to Carolina hypothetically do for Kase? Im thinking break even? Less opportunity- better linemates?? My main concern is that pp1 looks pretty well set- Aho, Turbo, Nino, and Svechnikov- maybe svech and Kase battle? I jst have this strong supposition (same as the guys on FHP apparently)- that they get serious with Svechnikovs deployment- I think he gets to ride shot gun with Turbo and Aho (who should be joined at the hip). I think Nino and Staal would be a great compliment and line two. The unfortunate part is Kase fits the bill as a hard working winger who can generate his own offense that would likely do just as well on l1 or l2. Im hoping for a 60ish point healthy season- which is still a breakout- but not the "for real" one yet- lol! IF this trade happens.

Also whats this do for our friend Faulk? Mediocre or not theres not a ton of competition in terms of pure offense. I actually like this move for Faulk.

As a long suffering Hamilton owner- I think hes the true beneficiary...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Faulk is one of those guys that is better for fantasy than real NHL lol

his shots and hits/blocks and few other stats make him top 30 D in most multicat leagues and better in some.

But he is not best NHL D, i agree with assessment that he is a good 4...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

It’s interesting that we talk about players getting a new team and new opportunity SOMETIMES, then when we don’t believe in the player, it’s suddenly a nothing-burger. Faulk in ANA could be great for him! Heaven knows Cam Fowler hasn’t been a fireball on their power play! Faulk does get the puck through for SOG, and Getzlaf, for all his age concerns, is a better net-front player than anyone Carolina has had there.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson