Thread: Grubauer or Dubnyk

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Grubauer or Dubnyk

Trying to decide which goalie to keep. My other goalie is Holtby. I want to keep 2 in this league (similar settings to signature).

Am I crazy to think that Grubauer might be my keeper over Dubnyk? I think Colorado has the stronger team plus they usually have a better off night schedule than Minnesota which will give me a few extra starts.

Thoughts?
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Grubauer or Dubnyk

I don't think you're crazy at all. If Colorado has the better off night schedule for you, it makes sense. I'd consider them basically in the same tier, so that sort of difference matters.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

I personally like Grubauer better and would want him as my #2 goalie.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Administrator

Grubauer over Dubnyk

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Dubnyk for me. Grubauer has not proven he can be a starter for a whole season. Just because he plays for COL, which is supposed to be a good team, doesn't mean he'll be better than Dubnyk.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Monster

Although I see lots of good reasons to take Grubauer, I would probably chicken out and take Dubnyk myself. I just haven't seen enough of Grubauer to say definitively what he is. He hasn't played more than 37 games in an regular season and that's a big red flag for me - I want to see a good 55 games from him. We have seen young new starters on up and coming teams fall flat before. I'll take the boring pick with Dubnyk. If you like to gamble, the upside is definitely there with Grubauer. It's all about how much risk you want to take. Other factors to consider: which player do you have a better shot of getting back in the draft; who would you be more angry at not keeping if they had a good year; if Grubauer is your pick, what goalies expected to be available can fit into your lineup on off nights.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Pro

Grubauer for me but that’s my gambler’s side!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think you go high risk/high reward here.... and go with Grubauer.
    If your team is REALLY, REALLY strong though - and you just want a sure thing (with no upside) - then Dubnyk is the pick.

It's all about team direction.
    Usually "high end" player stats win championships, which is why most will say to go with Grubauer... potential there with the Avs is sky-high.
    (Of course, 3 years ago... many of us were all saying the same thing about Cam Talbot with EDM)

Dobber Sports Superstar

6.5 points for a win

.25 for a save -2.5 for a GA? That seems like a scoring that values quantity over quality for starters. Dubnyk is among the top-5 every year in saves. He's also respectable in the Ws category, although that will continue to decline this year I suspect.

Dubnyk is basically a lock for 60 starts (could be 65) whereas Grubauer has never topped 40 (37 max last season) so 55 would be a massive number.

I don't see Grubauer's better Win number overcoming 10 more starts from Dubnyk.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    6.5 points for a win

.25 for a save -2.5 for a GA? That seems like a scoring that values quantity over quality for starters. Dubnyk is among the top-5 every year in saves. He's also respectable in the Ws category, although that will continue to decline this year I suspect.

Dubnyk is basically a lock for 60 starts (could be 65) whereas Grubauer has never topped 40 (37 max last season) so 55 would be a massive number.

I don't see Grubauer's better Win number overcoming 10 more starts from Dubnyk.
    This scoring favors quality just as much as quantity... Maybe more:

-2.5 for GA hurts a ton. 10 shots on goal is required to wipe out a GA. So many nights a goalie sieves a 4-spot on 30 shots. If they lose the game too, that's -2.5 goalie points for you. UGH. I wonder if benching goalies is a legal strategy, lol.

That said, with Grub's question marks on ability to play a full season, but playing for the team that should have more wins... I pick Grubauer. If he's too bad to play a full season, that helps reduce the number of negative stats from him.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    This scoring favors quality just as much as quantity... Maybe more:

-2.5 for GA hurts a ton. 10 shots on goal is required to wipe out a GA. So many nights a goalie sieves a 4-spot on 30 shots. If they lose the game too, that's -2.5 goalie points for you. UGH. I wonder if benching goalies is a legal strategy, lol.

That said, with Grub's question marks on ability to play a full season, but playing for the team that should have more wins... I pick Grubauer. If he's too bad to play a full season, that helps reduce the number of negative stats from him.
    Yeah you're right I read it as .5 points for a sv. That changes Everything. Given that I'm chasing Ws over saves. I like Grubauer a lot more here..
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR