Thread: Need Help Ranking A Few

Big Daddy

Default Need Help Ranking A Few

Like most of you, I prefer to tier goalies rather than rank them but in this particular scenario, I'm hoping I could get as close to a consensus ranking as possible. Would appreciate some reasoning behind your rankings if you have the time to help. Will rep where I can.

Categories are Wins, Save %, GAA and Saves. Could consider keeper values while ranking but I am mainly focusing on this season.

Ben Bishop
    John Gibson
    Carey Price
    Pekka Rinne
    MA Fleury
    Philipp Grubauer
    Brayden Holtby
    Connor Hellebuyck
    Tuuka Rask
    Matt Murray
    Devan Dubnyk

For the record, I did not list them in order of personal preference as I don't want my rankings to influence yours.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Need Help Ranking A Few

Fleury
    Holtby
    Price

Bishop
    Helle
    Gibson
    Dubnyk

Rinne
    Murray
    Rask
    Grubauer

I see the group as three different tiers. The top tier are longtime proven studs who will get a large volume of starts and wins, bucking the rising trend of timeshare platooning. Holtby is in a contract year so I expect him to improve over the last couple.

The second tier are great options but are likely to be less effective due to fewer starts or weaker teams. Bishop is brittle and Khudobin is very capable. Helle will start a lot but with a rebuilt D corps it could be rocky.

Third tier is still a nice group but these players will probably not threaten to win your league's Vezina. Rask is great but he will only get about 45 starts. Ditto Rinne. Murray is a Band Aid Boy. The COL D is really banged up so I dont see sparkling ratios coming from Grubauer.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Fleury
    Holtby
    Price

Bishop
    Helle
    Gibson
    Dubnyk

Rinne
    Murray
    Rask
    Grubauer

I see the group as three different tiers. The top tier are longtime proven studs who will get a large volume of starts and wins, bucking the rising trend of timeshare platooning. Holtby is in a contract year so I expect him to improve over the last couple.

The second tier are great options but are likely to be less effective due to fewer starts or weaker teams. Bishop is brittle and Khudobin is very capable. Helle will start a lot but with a rebuilt D corps it could be rocky.

Third tier is still a nice group but these players will probably not threaten to win your league's Vezina. Rask is great but he will only get about 45 starts. Ditto Rinne. Murray is a Band Aid Boy. The COL D is really banged up so I dont see sparkling ratios coming from Grubauer.
    I'm with Glatt! Only possible alteration might be sliding Grubs up a few spots.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Titan

Price
    Bishop
    Helle
    Holtby
    Murray
    Fleury
    Grubauer

Rask
    Jones (tossing him in here because I feel like this is for the PQMC so he deserves to be here)
    Gibson
    Rinne
    Dubnyk

Price first because of solid ratios, high floor, close to playoff spot number of wins, tons of saves, etc.
    Bishop just almost won a Vezina and the team in front of him got better. He may not play 65 games but those ratios are going to be killer.
    Helle/Holtby/Murray all solid
    Fleury a touch below because he's getting a little older, but still just as good as the other guys, but a little more risk that way.
    Grubs should be just as good, but hasn't shown it for a full season.
    Rask is great but has Halak to leach starts.
    I like Jones. Ratios won't be great, but wins and saves will be.
    Tons of saves, better ratios than anyone else could get in Ana. Lack of wins.
    Rinne. Going to only get 45 starts.
    Dubnyk has a very strange team in front of him. I do not trust this.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Tiered, alphabetical within tiers:

1: Carey Price
    2: Ben Bishop, MA Fleury, John Gibson, Connor Hellebuyck, Brayden Holtby, Tuuka Rask, Pekka Rinne
    3: Devan Dubnyk, Philipp Grubauer, Matt Murray

Tier 1 should have very good ratios and totals.
    Tier 2 I expect to have good ratios and totals, but there may be more quantity or more quality depending on which player.
    Tier 3 have real quality and quantity issues. Dubnyk's isn't based on starts, but rather the team. Murray is fragile and erratic. Grubauer is unproven as a whole year starter.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Jones (tossing him in here because I feel like this is for the PQMC so he deserves to be here).
    Haha, this is actually for Team #2 in my signature. Jones would also be available but didn’t consider him. A few other names that I didn’t include are Mrazek, Varlamov, Rittich, Lehner.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Haha, this is actually for Team #2 in my signature. Jones would also be available but didn’t consider him. A few other names that I didn’t include are Mrazek, Varlamov, Rittich, Lehner.
    Well, it's a very similar goalie group, so you have my thoughts either way
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Big Daddy

Looking for more opinions - will rep.

Big Daddy

Bump - draft is in a few days, can anyone else help me with some rankings please?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Tier 1: Holtby, Price, Fleury
    Tier 2: Gibson, Helle, Bishop, Rask, Dubnyk, Rinne
    Tier 3: Grubauer, Murray,

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
    Tier 1: Holtby, Price, Fleury
    Tier 2: Gibson, Helle, Bishop, Rask, Dubnyk, Rinne
    Tier 3: Grubauer, Murray,
    Curious why you have Dubnyk ahead of Murray/Grubauer, and in the same tier as Bishop. You think Minnesota can turn things around this year?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Ranked for THIS season:

Tier IA: Fleury, Rinne. Both of these goalies are very strong, on very strong teams, and have huge separation to their back-ups.
    Tier IB: Holtby, Price. Price is better quality, but WAS is better team. Copley did prove himself capable last year, so Holtby may no longer be a high-volume starter.
    Tier 2A: Bishop, Murray. I really like Dallas... but they do have some new parts and Khudobin is very capable back-up. PIT is solid. Murray was fantastic after a rocky start to last year.
    Tier 2B: Rask. I put Rask up with the previous 6 for quality... but all signs suggest Halak will get a good share of the starts... lack of volume in starts is enough to downvalue Rask.
    Tier 2C: Grubauer. COL has a ton of potential... and COL back-up is untested. All this said, the pressures of being annointed #1 could eat up Grubauer. HUGE risk/reward here.
    Tier 2D: Gibson. He'll be a volume starter and have great SV%... but can ANA win, IDK?... and can they keep too many shots from getting through... because lots of shots is good for SV, but bad for GAA
    Tier 3: Hellebuyck. We've all gotten used to WPG being good. Trouba is gone, Myers is gone, Buff may be gone. I'm sorry, this team could be... bad... seriously... I'm not touching Helle in 1-year leagues... certainly not putting him in a Tier 2.
    Tier 4: Dubnyk. He wasn't good last year and MIN doesn't look good. The best thing going for MIN is that I like their D... which could limit shots and help GAA. But that's just 1 of 4 goalie cats... not enough.