Thread: Yahoo Drafting 2019

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Yahoo Drafting 2019

I've done a lot of mocks to this point on Yahoo and gotta say that this is the year to take your goalies early and build offense as you go. The options at forward are so deep overall where you're seeing Getzlaf go in the fifteenth round and the likes of Athanasiou, a 30-goal scorer, still on the board at the completion of a 12-team mock. If you land the swing pick in your draft (last and first of next round in succession), your best bet, regardless of fantasy provider, is to stack two goalies and force the hand of other owners in round 2 if they're paying attention. When I've had the ability to nab Vas/Andersen one after the other, it set off a feeding frenzy in Round 2, allowing me to get the likes of Eichel and Point in rounds 3/4. Huberdeau, Been, Holtby, Couturier, and the likes thereof made for routine picks in Round 5-7.

People clamor over the big names but if you land in the 7-12 range, take a Burns or Vasilevskiy because the disparity at forward at this point makes taking the top overall defender or goalie the best move when you can still nab elite forward options after. Yahoo's rankings aren't bad but some names really fall through the cracks. Jamie Benn, Darnell Nurse, Nikolaj Ehlers, Vincent Trocheck, and Getzlaf come to mind first in this regard, all have wonky rankings that you can capitalize on. By Round 8 I've usually secured my crease and have had no issue with the rosters I've built. You'll want at least one legit defender before Round 10 as this was usually when the run occurred. Yandle usually available Round 8, Dumba in 9, and Doughty/OEL in 10. Have two solid blue liners by Round 11/12 and Risto may still be there but also quality #3's like Ghost, Petry, Nurse, Ellis, etc. At this point it was fill out the roster with best available though I play in a FOW league so I just draft scoring centers.

In review of rosters at mocks end, the teams that went heavy on forward in the early rounds usually lack quite badly in net. The ones with goalies and stable defenses though can still put together a solid forward core because that's just how deep the options are these days. My strategy won't be for everyone but I think it's a solid approach in a redraft but if Crosby falls to 8th/9th overall like I saw a couple times please abort said protocol and draft him!
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Yahoo Drafting 2019

This is a very interesting perspective. I usually don’t like investing in goalies early since they’re so unpredictable, but this strategy is definitely worth considering this year since I feel there’s a big gap between the tier 1 goalies (and there aren’t that many in tier 1 this year in my opinion) and the rest of the other tiers.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree that there is a real shortage of both Tier 1 and bona fide starters - however wonder if this could result in a lot of people pushing out their goalie picks to later rounds if they don't snag a goalie with some certainty, essentially putting a run on high end d-man talent (and forwards) in earlier rounds. I suspect it will depend on your league settings and managers, but this is definitely the biggest crap shoot year for G I can remember.

Dobber Sports Star

The real question is how many of these top goalies will even be top goalies by years end? I think I still prefer to go for value with goalies, but I will definitely keep this in mind.

Dobber Sports Giant

If I don't get one of the top-5 options [Kucherov, McDavid, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, or Crosby], then I'm either going Burns or Vasilevskiy for my first pick.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Monster

Agreed. Seems like half of the league is tandem creases now. Unless you want to target an elite tandem, youre best to try landing a workhorse or two early. Even though goalies are so up and down, I'd rather take a shot on a guy who has the crease to himself than on one of the many middle of the road creases that should be a 60-40% split.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    If I don't get one of the top-5 options [Kucherov, McDavid, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, or Crosby], then I'm either going Burns or Vasilevskiy for my first pick.
    agreed, any pick beyond sixth overall these should be your targets unless one of said five falls which does happen with Crosby at times.
    Girouxsalem

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

Tro,Schmaltz

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'm in a 14 team standard yahoo league (cats are like 9/5 split skater/goalie) and this is what I'm going to do this year. A friend in my league is adamant on not drafting a goalie in the first 10 rounds because of the disparity.

Forwards feel abundant outside the 5 names you list and goalies this year look to be a shit show. There's 3 or 4 goalies I like then after that it falls off heavily. And after those tier 2 goalies it's a mess. I'm not sure I'll target goalie/goalie if I'm on the turn rounds 1 and 2 but if I'm not in the top 5 picks I'm getting a goalie early and probably a top D if I can.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Hi All - this is a noob question so apologies in advance. I'm in a Yahoo keeper (9/3 split skater/goalie). We can only keep 4.
    I have Dobber's projections in pdf, but is there anywhere I can use his projections and build a custom cheat sheet?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by shadycommish View Post
    Hi All - this is a noob question so apologies in advance. I'm in a Yahoo keeper (9/3 split skater/goalie). We can only keep 4.
    I have Dobber's projections in pdf, but is there anywhere I can use his projections and build a custom cheat sheet?
    Did you buy the fantasy guide kit? If so, your downloads folder should also have a "draft list" excel sheet, that you can customize.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

If you mean more than just providing an editable Excel file, then FantasyHockeyGeek does this. It costs $15.99 (I believe?) for the draft package that includes all the Dobber stats, but if you already paid for part of the material through Dobber you may be able to speak to someone and just pay the difference. I find FHG to be both useful and convenient.
    ---
    14-tm Yahoo keep 5 up to 3 years; 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 1UT, 2G; 4BN; 1 IR+
    G, A, PPP, HIT, BLK, SOG, GWG, SHP, GAA, Sv%, W

C: MacK, Larkin, Suzuki
    LW: Connor, DCat, Kubalik
    RW: Bratt, Fiala, Bjorkstrand
    D: Dahlin, Dobson, Werenski, Montour, Durzi, Romanov
    G: Shest, Elvis

12-tm FanTrax keep $10, +$1 each keep; 9F, 6D, 2G, 6BN, 2 IR
    G=2, A=1.6, PPP = 1, SHP=1, GWG=1, HAT=1, SOG=0.2, HIT=0.2, BLK=0.2, SV=0.3, GA=-2, W=2, SO=2

F: Guentz, Kaprizov, JGaudreau, Reinhart, Trocheck, Bratt, Kopitar, Perron, Keller, Necas, Kubalik, Lafreniere
    D: Dobson, DeAngelo, Morrissey, Hanifin, Orlov, Lindell, Romanov, Sandin
    G: Andersen, Shest, Sorokin
    IR: Patches

Dobber Sports Veteran

''the teams that went heavy on forward in the early rounds usually lack quite badly in net. The ones with goalies and stable defenses though can still put together a solid forward core because that's just how deep the options are these days.''

Thats the truth about fantasy for this upcoming season. With the rising of the scoring overall you can find pretty good players in every forward position in the later rounds.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Newbie

I totally missed the excel file in the downloads.

Nothing to see here. Thanks guys

Anyone else think Mantha, Svechnikov and Trochek can blow the doors off their projections?

Dobber Sports Superstar

I totally missed the excel file in the downloads.

Nothing to see here. Thanks guys

Anyone else think Mantha, Svechnikov and Trochek can blow the doors off their projections?
    Trocheck; if he's there beyond Round 10 you must snag him.
    Girouxsalem

ThePeterNorthStars

Tro,Schmaltz