Thread: Barkov questions

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Barkov questions

Curious how people assess Barkov. He seems to be rated very highly with many expected him to put up 90+ points.

However, there are a couple of red flags:

1. Band-aid boy. Prior to last two seasons, he missed many games every year. Has he outgrown it?
    2. Last year he scored 35 goals but had a very career-high 17% SH. If he regresses to career average of around 13%, he will score in the 26-29 range.
    3. Career high PPP last year. Is this the new norm or an outlier year?

Given above, do you still consider Barkov a 90+ player or should we view him more like a 75-80 with the potential to get 90+ if everything aligns again?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Barkov questions

Last year is probably going to be one of Barkov's two or three best point production seasons for his career, for the reasons you mentioned. Still, I'd put him at an 80-85 bucket for now, with chances to go above or below that range based on naturally-occurring variance.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like him for 90+ pts again this year. He is starting to come into his own, and so is the rest of Florida. 30+ goals I believe is possible; though believe that means him and Huderdeau play the season together.
    I am not as certain if this will lead to him being a guy people will consistently believe to put 90+ pts. Still early.
    But I stand by saying he remains pts per game or better going forward (minus injuries that take him away for significant time).
    Your right to believe there will be a regression in his S%. Career avg thus far is 13.7%. However 2nd straight season with 200+ shots.
    The power play pts will be harder to gauge. As just about every teams PP effectiveness goes up and down season to season. Also new coach this in Joel Quenneville. That too will effect Barkov's use on the PP and his SH use.
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Star

One thing on durability: Last year Barkov played all 82 games and was second among all forwards in time on ice. For all kinds of reasons, Barkov will not likely exceed those minutes, much less play that many minutes again, perceived band-aid status or not. As he ages and Florida develops their batch of young forwards, they'll be able to give Barkov more rest. With more rest, he'll probably lose a scoring opportunity here or there to pull him back under 90 pts.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think the young guys who could start to be involved with Florida's top 6 are 3-5 years away. Barkov just turned 24 yrs old. Entering the start of his prime years. Huberdeau is 26, Trocheck is 25, Hoffman turns 30 in November, Dadanov is 30. They are the more likely candidates to see their spots in the Top 6 gone.
    Barkov is the new Bergeron, with more offensive upside and skills.

Yes Barkov will see less minutes this year, but I wouldn't expect a huge decrease in minutes played. He still hovers around 21 min/game over the whole season. Finishes with at least 1700 mins but under 1800 mins played.
    12 team Card Hockey League. Use stats from last NHL season ex: 2022-23 stats will be used for our 23-24 season cards
    Fwds: MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Rantanen, M Tkachuk Scheifele, Marchand, B Nelson, Stephenson, J Toews, R Thomas, Lundell, E Rodrigues, Sissons, Lowry, M Foligno, D Guenther, Mangiapane, Pacioretty, Huberdeau, Wheeler
    Dmen: Makar, D Toews, Dobson, Sergachev, S Jones, Graves, Carlo, Gudas, Byram, Girard, Thrun
    Goalies: Vanecek, Francouz, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Titan

I think he's a point per game guy. 80 points a season give or take 5 per year moving forward.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

well before he broke out he was 78 points in 79 games so i think hes better then a point per game 85-95 range .

Dobber Sports Jedi

75pt bottom floor for this guy.

Barkov's not a bandaid boy. The problem was, he had a mans body 200+lbs at 18.
    it wasn't able to take a mans body beating.
    Now it can.
    and any league that uses FO's.. he becomes even more valuable
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think we are seeing Barkov’s new norm. Yes, he will fluctuate 5-10 points either side of 90 each year but the kid is an amazing talent and He is just now settling in and getting comfortable with his extra large frame. Add to that a young and strong supporting cast and you have the mould for an elite centre for years to come.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    I think we are seeing Barkov’s new norm. Yes, he will fluctuate 5-10 points either side of 90 each year but the kid is an amazing talent and He is just now settling in and getting comfortable with his extra large frame. Add to that a young and strong supporting cast and you have the mould for an elite centre for years to come.
    I think this is accurate as hell. I just am not sure its yet time to put him in with guys like gadreau who I think are in same boat in possible 90+ territory each year

Dobber Sports Ace

I see him as a point per game player, and with Quenneville's emphasis on defensive responsibility and a regression in shooting percentage, I think that 75-80 points feels about right. Yes, we already view him as really good defensively, but having recently read an NHL scout's report on him, Barkov might be a tad overrated in the defensive department, and still has room to grow.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Don't forget Trochek is no slouch either and he will soak up some of the hard minutes. Barkov isn't Florida's only shut down center.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen