Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Goalie Prospects

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Best Goalie Prospects

Just started out dynasty league draft today and looking to scoop up a solid goalie prospect

who would you consider the top 2 goalie prospects, feel free to suggest someone if I miss them.

Sorokin
    Shestorkin
    Knight
    Demko
    Elvis
    Jarry
    Samsonov

not looking for immediate results willing to wait a couple seasons for the best results
    14 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Zibanejad
    LW: E.Kane, Panarin, Huberdeau, Marchand, Landeskog
    RW: Rantanen, Zuccarello
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Chychrun, Drysdale
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Markstrom
    Prospects: Carlsson, Raty, Berggren, Miroshnichenko, Othmann, Clarke, Gulyayev, Nikishin, Wallstadt, Wolf

16 Team (H2H Points) Dynasty League

C: MacKinnon, Zibanejad, Duchene, Schenn, Johansen, Monahan, Krebs, Pageau
    LW: E.Kane, Pacioretty, Vrana, Hoffman
    RW: Tuch, Stone, Wilson, Batherson, Sprong, Gallagher, Wahlstrom
    D: Dahlin, Hamilton, Letang, Dumba, Kylington, Liljegren
    G: Allen
    Prospects: Byfield, Guenther, Rossi, Perreault, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Best Goalie Prospects

Goalie prospects are tough. If you don't care about immediate impact and only long-term highest upside, I would probably go with the three Russians (SSSR) at the top. You're likely waiting for all three of them a couple of years at least.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Demko,Shestorkin and Knight

Dobber Sports Icon

My suggestion is to not waste a pick on a goalie prospect since so few of them actually pan out in reasonable time frames.

Case in point, here are the top 25 Goalie Prospects listed by Dobber in the 2013 Fantasy Prospects Report

1) Reto Berra
    2) Calvin Pickard
    3) Mark Visentin
    4) Eddie Lack
    5) Magnus Hellberg
    6) Scott Wedgewood
    7) Niklas Svedberg
    8) Andrey Makarov
    9) Anthony Stolarz
    10) Andrei Vasilevski
    11) John Gibson
    12) Eddie Pasquale
    13) Jack Campbell
    14) Oscar Dansk
    15) Laurent Brossoit
    16) Jordan Binnington
    17) Frederik Andersen
    18) Martin Jones
    19) Malcolm Subban
    20) Eric Hartzell
    21) Harri Sateri
    22) Eric Comrie
    23) Mac Carruth
    24) Zach Fucale
    25) Jeff Zatkoff

"4" goalies were starters in the 6th season after the report came out.

To be fair, Justin Goldman had a much better list with Gibson, Vasilevski, Andersen as the top 3 (but none of the other 22 goalies he listed were NHL starters 6 full NHL seasons later).

If I had to pick 2 goalie "prospects" to choose, I would go with Carter Hart and Thatcher Demko as they both have a good opportunity to be a starting goalie in the NHL this season.

Dobber Sports Giant

I like Shesterkin, Sorokin, Demko, and Samsonov the most from your list.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Shesterkin & Demko for me, followed by Sorokin/Samsonov.

Knight prob needs a trade to be valuable, Jarry has backup upside imo, Elvis I'm not a big fan though he'll have his chance this year so maybe there's a case to be made (I still like Demko and Shersterkin more)
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Padawan

Demko, Shestyorkin and Samsanov for me. Not just because I own all three haha! Sorokin would be my 4th. As far as upside goes.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Stud

Dartboard works best.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    My suggestion is to not waste a pick on a goalie prospect since so few of them actually pan out in reasonable time frames.

Case in point, here are the top 25 Goalie Prospects listed by Dobber in the 2013 Fantasy Prospects Report

1) Reto Berra
    2) Calvin Pickard
    3) Mark Visentin
    4) Eddie Lack
    5) Magnus Hellberg
    6) Scott Wedgewood
    7) Niklas Svedberg
    8) Andrey Makarov
    9) Anthony Stolarz

10) Andrei Vasilevski
    11) John Gibson
    12) Eddie Pasquale
    13) Jack Campbell
    14) Oscar Dansk
    15) Laurent Brossoit
    16) Jordan Binnington
    17) Frederik Andersen
    18) Martin Jones
    19) Malcolm Subban
    20) Eric Hartzell
    21) Harri Sateri
    22) Eric Comrie
    23) Mac Carruth
    24) Zach Fucale
    25) Jeff Zatkoff

"4" goalies were starters in the 6th season after the report came out.

To be fair, Justin Goldman had a much better list with Gibson, Vasilevski, Andersen as the top 3 (but none of the other 22 goalies he listed were NHL starters 6 full NHL seasons later).

If I had to pick 2 goalie "prospects" to choose, I would go with Carter Hart and Thatcher Demko as they both have a good opportunity to be a starting goalie in the NHL this season.
    Damn, big swing and a miss for that top 9 haha.

Of the ones you listed ~

Sorokin - Most athletic and pure "skill", think Hasek/Thomas, technique is balls to the wall but he stops dem pucks. Not coming over til next year best case scenario. Will be backup/split to Varly for couple of years. *Upside, top 10 goalie in world.

Shestorkin - Coming over now, will compete with the other Russian goalie for time this year. Will likely be him or the other Russian that takes over from the "King". *Upside, top 20 goalie in world...(Also he has a chance to crash and burn hard, he had immaculate numbers in the KHL, but was heavily sheltered on a top team being played against the bottom half of the league on most nights)

Knight - Long long way away from even seeing NHL ice, let alone being a full time member of any NHL team. Has highest upside/pedigree of any NHL goalie drafted in last 10-15 years...also is youngest, and there is a big difference between 18/19yr old goalies development and early 20's. *Upside, Franchise goalie.

Demko - Will play at least 25 games this year barring injury, is heir apparent to the Canucks and could be the starter as early as next year. *Upside, legit starting goalie, won't win any hardware but will play 55+ games and have solid stats.

Elvis - Best thing going for him as opposed to all these other goalies, the job is pretty much his to lose out of the gate, if he can be half decent, he is a starter in the NHL. *Upside, legit starting goalie, same as Demko, no hardware but will have solid stats.

Jarry - No comment (I don't know enough about him to feel comfortable commenting)

Samsonov - Chance Holtby is gone when his contract is over, if Samsonov has shown in that time that he can play in the NHL at an acceptable level, he'll likely be a 1A/B option going forward, or high-end backup til he's ready to take over full-time. *Upside, top 15 goalie in world.

*Upside denotes the high end upside of a goalie, the likelihood of any of these goalies making it varies.

For pure upside, wait time not being a factor at all, I'd go ~
    Sorokin
    Samsonov
    Knight
    I think Knight has best upside of any of the goalies, but he is by far the longest away and the most volatile in terms of where he actually ends up in his career.

For opportunity and likelihood of being a starter in the next couple of years ~
    Elvis
    Demko
    Samsonov
    Hardest thing for a rookie goalie to do is get playing time (even as a backup), Elvis is being given the rarest of oppurtunities and is being given the reigns early on.
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Out of curiosity, where would you put Askarov in this list? I know he's not drafted yet, but the hype around him is impressive.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot99 View Post
    Out of curiosity, where would you put Askarov in this list? I know he's not drafted yet, but the hype around him is impressive.
    If you believe the hype around him and would only consider long term potential, I guess he tops that list.
    However, we need to see you how the year plays out and where he gets drafted I think, but the hype is real haha

At any rate, I feel better picking goalie prospects who are going to play soon so I don't wait 5 years to find out if I guessed right
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    If you believe the hype around him and would only consider long term potential, I guess he tops that list.
    However, we need to see you how the year plays out and where he gets drafted I think, but the hype is real haha

At any rate, I feel better picking goalie prospects who are going to play soon so I don't wait 5 years to find out if I guessed right
    Askarov is the rare goalie who could be in the NHL by the time he is 21 years old. He just turned 17 a couple months ago, and although the sample size is incredibly small, he has already begun to dominate against men in the VHL. In his preseason debut, Askarov recorded a shutout. Through one regular season game he is sporting a 1.85 GAA and .956 Sv%. This coming on the heels of a season which saw international dominance at the U-18 WJC as a 16-year old against the best USNTDP team ever. He also dominated the WJAC-19, putting up a 1.26 and .954. He also put up very respectable numbers in the MHL (2.37 // .921 in 31 games) as a D-1. He also just recently set the record for Sv% at the 19-20 Hlinka/Gretzky tournament. He's good.

He's got the size, athleticism, technical skills, and demeanor to be one of the best goalies in the world.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot99 View Post
    depends on opportunity and where he is drafted..if he is drafted for instance by Colombus, his value will skyrocket and may have a real shot at NHL very early..if he is drafted by Tampa Bay Lightning..i dont know.
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    depends on opportunity and where he is drafted..if he is drafted for instance by Colombus, his value will skyrocket and may have a real shot at NHL very early..if he is drafted by Tampa Bay Lightning..i dont know.
    Considering he's likely gone before 15 in the draft next year, he's most likely going to a team in need of a goalie of the future:
    Ottawa, Detroit, Columbus, Minny, would be the best options. That being said, TB does have Vancouver's pick, which could end up being in the 10-15 range, so who knows.

He's definitely in the top 10 prospect goalies, but maybe not top 3 or top 5 due to him being farther away.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Askarov would not be in my top 10 for goalie prospects at this point in his career. He's way too far away from being in the NHL. He has yet to play a game in his life against a person who can legally drink. Let's give him a bit more time before we put him too high up on any prospects lists.