Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caufield: How much risk IS there, really?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Caufield: How much risk IS there, really?

I'm trying to decide between Turcotte and Caufield. Points only, keeper league, we protect 12 plus a farm of 4. Some people have written about Caufield as if he is a swing for the home run, whereas Turcotte is considered the safer play. I rarely pick this high, my team is competitive, so I don't want to botch this one (the pick is mine via trade). Is there that much risk/reward with Caufield? Or is Turcotte's ceiling close anyways? No preference in this league for goals, either, and forward positions don't matter. Thoughts?
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Administrator

Default Re: Caufield: How much risk IS there, really?

The way I see it the "risk" factor with Caufield is overblown. People talked a bit about some risk factor and how he might slide down the draft and it takes on a life of its own. That said I would definitely go with Turcotte over Caufield. Safe does not mean less upside.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Turcotte is drafting hugher than Caufield so if you have a choice take Turcotte.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Both are going to get you points but overall, Turcotte is the better pick in my opinion. I believe Caufield slipped mainly due to his size but that's about it, I think. Turcotte may be the safer pick but in this case, the safe pick will get you the better player also.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Giant

I don't think Caufield is particularly "risky," but I would say that Turcotte is a safer bet even in points-only. The dynasty league in my signature just started its draft today, and I had the 4th pick. The guy before me took Caufield, and I was incredibly surprised and overjoyed to get Turcotte in that slot.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Newbie

I took Caufield 3rd overall in one of my leagues, but goals are worth twice as much as an assist. I don't think there's much risk with Caufield, but there's still a little more than there is with Turcotte.
    Alternative Hockey League
    20 team keeper
    We play head to head on nights when there are 6 or more NHL games scheduled
    We start with a cap of $60, but cap can be traded
    We dress up to 6 forwards, 4 dmen and a goalie (team not individual) each game
    23 player active roster and 3 goalies plus a reserve of up to 5 players
    20 player farm team
    1 point for a goal, 0.5 for an assist and -0.5 for a goal against your (team) goalies
    F: Blake Wheeler, Sean Couturier, Jake Guentzel, Anders Lee, Reilly Smith, Brayden Schenn, Jakob Silfverberg, Ryan Donato, Jordan Greenway, Alex Kerfoot, Filip Chlapik
    D: P.K. Subban, Shayne Gostisbehere, Jake Muzzin, Oscar Klefbom, Colin Miller, Mike Matheson, Christian Wolanin, Kyle Capobianco
    G: Winnipeg Jets, Florida Panthers

Dobber Sports Deity

If you draft Caufield over Turcotte, youre going to make the guy after you very happy by leaving Turcotte for him. Turcotte for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I guess theres less risk if you draft turcotte but I can appreciate the love for caufield too .

caufield went immediately after turcotte in 2 of my 3 dynasty leagues and its a goal heavy format.

https://sites.google.com/view/blackb...20s/2019-draft

Dobber Sports Padawan

He's apparently around the same size as DeBrincat, who is doing just fine, but I can't help but think there's a reason why there are so few guys his height that go on to successful NHL careers. He might take longer to be NHL ready too as he might need to bulk up..guys like Yamamoto and Bracco are still marinating, and Gaudreau took quite a few years post-draft too. Nothing to say they won;t all turn out great either, but it's a longer wait.

In terms of "how much risk", well...there's more risk with him than there is with Turcotte. If he can take what he's done so far to the next level you'll be kicking yourself, sure, but there's a reason he went 15th vs 5th, and it's the same reason you should probably go with Turcotte here.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

I wouldn't worry much about the risk of Caufield as much as the risk of passing on Turcotte.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 3-4 years we look back at this draft and we compare Dach - Turcotte to Strome - Marner and argue who should have gone #3.

several teams will regret passing on Caufield. LA won't be one of them.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Would you guys take Caufield over Turcotte in a league where you get 4 points a goal and 2.5 for an assist and 0.2 for a SOG/HIT/BLK plus 0.5 a PM? Went into my draft with Zegras as my target but been a surprise pick infront of me so 1 of Turcotte or Caufield should be available, just not sure who to take if both are.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by TheNYUPS View Post
    Would you guys take Caufield over Turcotte in a league where you get 4 points a goal and 2.5 for an assist and 0.2 for a SOG/HIT/BLK plus 0.5 a PM? Went into my draft with Zegras as my target but been a surprise pick infront of me so 1 of Turcotte or Caufield should be available, just not sure who to take if both are.
    I think with Goals having that much of a bonus (over 1.5x value of assists) I would go with Caufield.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

If goals are worth 4 points, yes, I would take Caufield. Considered as the best goal scorer in the draft, it's almost as if he's meant for that kind of setup.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Damn I hope the guy picking infront of me just makes the decision for me.

EDIT- well he made the decision for me and took caufield so I got Turcotte. Oh well can’t lose here.

The Great One

Im gonna read the comments after.

Heres the thing- Id take Caufield probably...

BUT

if goals dont matter that kind of changes things. Its hard to wrap my head around leagues like that. Debrincat is just a 76 point player. Compile the other facts that Turcotte gets faded because hes a C which also doesnt matter and that you dont want to eff this up? I think this is a rare case where I take Turcotte. There is some risk with Caufield but the payoff in most leagues is exponential because goals, sogs and all the cats that go along with that type of player are all skewed to the good. In your league 70 points is 70 points. I think Turcotte is safer and based on the returns Id go for him. Now Im gonna go back and read what everyone else said...