Thread: My 1st cap league. Please advise!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default My 1st cap league. Please advise!

As the title says. An inaugural draft is coming soon. 14 teams dynasty, cats, 20 men rosters

G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIMS

W, SV, SV%, GAA, SHO

Not set in stone yet but a cap is projected to be NHL cap +10%

By the luck of a random draw, I got 1st overall. Am I out of my mind if I draft Mac over McD considering the salaries? But my biggest fear is that I may lose a goalie run and be left with scrubs by the tail end of a 2d round (snake draft). Is too far reached if I grab a goalie right off the bat? Or maybe I won't be any wiser to trade way down in a 1st round and up in a 2d?

Please advise what's the best course of action here

Thx

The Great One

Default Re: My 1st cap league. Please advise!

I like Mac over McDavid in a cap league. Heck, I like Brad Marchand over McDavid in a cap league.

I wouldn't draft a goalie first overall; I'd rather trade down in the draft...but only if you are targeting someone like Vasilevski.

Dobber Sports Icon

You've got the right idea. McD is amazing but way overvalued by many in fantasy, especially with salary.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Titan

I would go with either Pettersson, MacKinnon, or Kucherov first overall.
    Don't reach on a goalie. All the good ones are overpaid anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd avoid goalies in the first 5-7 rounds, unless it's a goalie that's clearly NHL established with a contract under $3M, and either a starting job (Hart) or an imminent one (Saros, in my opinion). You have saves as a category, which means goalies on bad teams ( looking at you, Senators) can give good value.

If you break wingers out from forwards, that's important.

Trading 1st overall can work well, especially if you think they want McDavid. But you need their first, and another high pick to make it pay, and you need to not blow those picks. Note that I'm a trade down sort of guy in all dynasty formats, in any team sport.

Don't draft young and plan to win in 3-4 years. The league may not make it that long, and you want to have fun with the team now, and not feel remorse later if it folds. You can skew young, but "I'm not trying this year" young will likely take it too far.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'd avoid goalies in the first 5-7 rounds, unless it's a goalie that's clearly NHL established with a contract under $3M, and either a starting job (Hart) or an imminent one (Saros, in my opinion). You have saves as a category, which means goalies on bad teams ( looking at you, Senators) can give good value.

If you break wingers out from forwards, that's important.

Trading 1st overall can work well, especially if you think they want McDavid. But you need their first, and another high pick to make it pay, and you need to not blow those picks. Note that I'm a trade down sort of guy in all dynasty formats, in any team sport.
    yeah right