Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has Laine peaked?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Has Laine peaked?

Obviously last year he was all over the place including getting pulled off the top pp unit. Little is old and really can’t do anything to help the situation but can Roslovic do anything in the near or long term to bolster Laine or do you think he’ll just be a perineal 30-40 goal and 60 point producer?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Has Laine peaked?

I know last season was rough but still... 110 G in 3 years. Season 1 and 2 @ 64 and 70 pts. He's 21 y/o.

Its a crapshoot. I'm leaning toward keeping him over ROR and Lindholm in a 10 keepers points only league, but might be a big mistake.

Risky but i think he could hit 100 pts if he improves his game OR be stagnant as a 60 pt guy. Giving him one more season
    H2H Points Only - Keep 10 - 8 teams / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W / 2 PT per SO / [2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 WINNER]
    F: Kucherov, Ovechkin, Matthews, Laine, Kessel, Pettersson, Boeser
    D: Burns, Carlson, Dahlin
    G:

H2H - Keep 5 + 1R - 10 teams / G, A, Hit, Blocks, PIM, +/-, SOG, PPP, SHP / W, GAA, SV%, SHO / [2ND SEASON]
    C: Eichel
    RW: Rantanen
    LW: Kucherov, Benn
    D: Dahlin (R)
    G: Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Monster

He has a long, long career ahead of him. I have a hard time thinking he's peaked. He's got some growing to do, and I expect there are some big seasons ahead whether its with the Jets or elsewhere.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Padawan

He has a lot of growing and maturing to do before he hits his prime, which in my opinion is a ceiling of maybe 55 goals and 90pts in his best year. Maybe a 75-ish point guy most seasons. He doesn't put up nearly enough assists to ever hit 100pts IMO.

He's a project for the next couple of years though unless his attitude and situation in Winnipeg change drastically.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Sage

If he keeps playing Fortnite 6 hours a day then yes he has probably peaked.

Administrator

He'll continue to experience ups and downs but you can't ignore the immense potential he has. He's just 21.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

I would bet on the fact that none of us here has peaked at 21 years old. Laine has not peaked. He's learning, finding his way, he will figure things out and flourish eventually.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Laine's Stat line to date.
    Year 1 - 36-28-64 (72 gp)
    Year 2 - 44-26-70 (82 gp)
    year 3 - 30-20-50 (82 gp)

Lets compare the stat line of another fairly recent top flight draft pick...

Year 1 - 24-39-63 (82 gp)
    Year 2 - 14-24-38 (64 gp)
    Year 3 - 21-31-52 (72 gp)
    Year 4 - 16-37-53 (82 gp)

Do you think the unnamed player peaked by year 4? Who would you rather have? any guess on who the unnamed player is?

My point, some guys take a little longer before they really start gaining traction.

(That said... I kinda find Laine to be a bit of a head case and Glatt's fortnight comment is spot on, but I'd advise against shrugging off a top tier draft pick too quickly).

Big Daddy

Don’t leave us hanging! Who is the unnamed player?

The Great One

I don't think Laine has necessarily peaked from a goal-scoring perspective, but I also don't think he will ever be a PPG player. He is an amazing goal scorer, but he doesn't possess much else to make him an elite point producer. He isn't a good passer, skater, or stick-handler, and I question his hockey IQ. IMO, he is a one-trick pony: stand in the slot, and shoot the puck. He can, and likely will, score 50 goals some year, but he'll be lucky to get 75 points in his best year, and I firmly believe most seasons he will be a 30-35 goal, 20-25 assist player.

So, he hasn't necessarily peaked, but I feel quite strongly that those expecting 90 pts from him someday will be disappointed.

Yes, 21 is young, so it may be unfair to judge Laine so harshly, but imo he doesn't have the overall skill-level to elevate his game to the PPG territory.

On the other hand, a player like Mackinnon (who as havanablast mentions above regressed after his rookie season before eventually exploding) has always been an elite skater with above average passing and stick-handling abilities. If you watch any highlights of Laine, you will see that he never really does much with or away from the puck to demonstrate anything more than an elite shot. I'm serious...go to youtube right now and search for Laine highlights. If you see even one highlight of Laine doing anything besides shooting the puck as soon as it touches his stick, I'd be surprised. Last year especially, Laine looked so lost and confused on the ice most of the time. Yes, he has some maturing to do both physically and mentally, but outside of an elite shot, I don't believe the talent is there.

This doesn't mean he won't be a valuable fantasy asset (nor hockey player in general). Goal scorers are hot commodities. But I don't think he will ever be a PPG+ player.

I might be wrong (I often am), and if so I will happily eat crow. In fact, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see Laine exceed my expectations of him.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don't think he has peaked. That being said, I've never really viewed him as having PPG upside.

40+ goals and 70-75 points I think will be his norm.

Dobber Sports Rookie

MacKinnon

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Don’t leave us hanging! Who is the unnamed player?
    A former 1st overall pick with the name of MacKinnon. hmmmmm
    Last edited by havanablast21; August 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: well done Vindigo

Dobber Sports Sage

He almost certainly hasn't peaked at 21 years old.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

it has been stated a bit here, Laine I have never understood his fantasy Hype, unless you get a huge bonus for goals then he is not even in the top 30 for me at full potential. He scores and should score a lot, but he isn't an assist guy and his other periphals are average, I see his BEST season being 55 goals and maybe 30 assists but I see him more as a 40/30 guy consistently.